| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,126 Posts1,056,356 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 12 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 12 | I was wondering if anyone can tell me if taking my 283 out of my 65 Chevy C10 and putting in a 400 in its place is going to be a problem? I am not sure if I need to use a different radiator or cooling system. Is this going to be a "CAN O WORMS?" or is this a okay swap? Thanks for any help.
Last edited by t douds; 05/25/2010 11:13 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 | I think it would be okay. You may find the accessories all mount different, but the motors are essentially the same externally and will fit in the same spot.
I would expect the 400 to possibly require more radiator.
1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more... It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble... | | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 | the 400 is externally balanced so the balancer and flywheel/flexplate have to be balanced. It's a specific to the 400 thing, Scott | | | | | Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 436 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 436 | I had a 283 in my old '63 C10. I swapped in a 1974 400 in 1982. I had no trouble just bolting it in. everything matched up and went in with no problems. I didn't even have any cooling problems using the stock radiator from the 283.
Like 48BigTrucks said, you MUST use the flywheel/Flexplate from the 400 because they are externally balanced. That's the only difference you will need to worry about.
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2007 Posts: 230 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2007 Posts: 230 | I assume you have the entire 400 engine with the heads it came with. Reason: you cannot use stock 350 heads, unless you drill out for steam holes in the 400 block. You may need a new radiator and definately a fan shroud, since the 400's tend to run a little warmer. Other than that, it's a good swap. | | |
| |
| |