| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,128 Posts1,056,685 Members48,452 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 581 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 581 | Just bought the rubber L-shaped gasket with a slight groove on the backside. How in the world does it fit? The cowl vent has an inner lip/trough that drains the water and an outer trough that I assume holds the gasket.
That said, does the L or leg butt against the intermediate, vertical flange? Then the the "back with groove" squashes against the bottom of the outer trough and up the outer sidewall?
This is what I tried and the rubber appears to have to be stretched considerably. You need several hands to pull it around the intermediate flange. Do I use adhesive glue? I'm thinking it will just bounce back over the flange.
Anyone experience the pleasure of popping one into place? Pictures? | | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall | | Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 | MMMMM, something seems fishy? Most of them just fit around the "lip" and lay pretty good. It should practically only lay one way. Yes, when you put it down I'd use a little weather stripping on it to keep it in place. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 65 old truck heaven | | old truck heaven Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 65 | Hi: There are two types of these gaskets commonly used for the cowl vent. The die cut sponge rubber is my favorite. It lays in the trough with weatherstrip cement under it. They type you have fits in the same way...although not that easy to get it in there. The best is to take out the cowl vent piece, cement the rubber in and reinstall the cover....I di one of my 7 trucks 1941-46 that way...after that I now have only used the foam. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 581 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 581 | Well my cover is off so it's already easier to work on. I'll try some 3M cement. Maybe it won't keep pulling off at the corners and lay down at the V's in the middle. | | |
| |
| |