| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
7 members (49nut, moparguy, ndkid275, Barry Martak, tclederman, kades51, 1 invisible),
78
guests, and
3
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,133 Posts1,056,396 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 84 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 84 | I'm switching my '51 half ton from 6v to 12v. I thought while im at it, i'd rewire everything since the original wiring is in rough shape. I'm looking for anyone's insight on whether I should use a premade harness or rewire everything one strand at a time and attach it to an aftermarket fuse block.
I understand the ease of the harness but thought there might be + or - of both applications.
Thoughts? | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,953 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,953 | I have rewired my truck one wire at a time. Very easy to do as long as you have good wire, connectors and a crimping tool.
There is a schematic in the back of the shop manual which also specifies wire gauge. If you are going to 12v you can use a smaller gauge wire.
The only difficult part I had was accessing the instrument panel because of the tight working area. However that same problem exists even if you are using a new wiring harness.
If you need more either Email or send me a PM.
Bill | | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 2,031 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 2,031 |
Last edited by carolines truck; 03/09/2010 4:32 AM.
Jim & Caroline The highway is for gamblers, better use your good sense." Gooday-that's my 1¢ answer due to the lousy economy ~ cause I ain't got - no . mo . doe Every Shaver | Now Can Snore | Six More Minutes | Than Before ... | Half A Pound for Half a Dollar | Spread On Thin | Above the Collar || BURMA-SHAVE
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2008 Posts: 226 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2008 Posts: 226 | are you looking to make it look stock? With original Cloth covered wire? If so, I do make some harness for some vendors. I can sale you what ever color and guage you need. You might be better off just buying a harness that is done for you. I can point you to some vendors. I will be getting a pattern for your type of truck once. I get a chance to find a good original to make copies from. drop me a call. visit my website Poetsseatauto.com and my phone number is at the top of the page. Poets Seat AutoAppraisals, Parts, ServicePast: General Motor's Master Technician Member: Northeast Chevy/GMC Truck ClubPhone Number: 413.774.5856 Collector of: 1951 Army Chevy Burb barn door,53 GMC COE,two 1934 Chevy Truck,1935 Chevy Army Truck.1950 Gmc Suburban clamshell these are just my chevy/gmc trucks.
| | |
| |
| |