The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (PAUL Berardi, sron48, Jon G, JW51), 91 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,131
Posts1,056,373
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 84
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 84
I'm switching my '51 half ton from 6v to 12v. I thought while im at it, i'd rewire everything since the original wiring is in rough shape.
I'm looking for anyone's insight on whether I should use a premade harness or rewire everything one strand at a time and attach it to an aftermarket fuse block.

I understand the ease of the harness but thought there might be + or - of both applications.

Thoughts?

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
I have rewired my truck one wire at a time. Very easy to do as long as you have good wire, connectors and a crimping tool.

There is a schematic in the back of the shop manual which also specifies wire gauge. If you are going to 12v you can use a smaller gauge wire.

The only difficult part I had was accessing the instrument panel because of the tight working area. However that same problem exists even if you are using a new wiring harness.

If you need more either Email or send me a PM.

Bill


1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Sedgewick"
In the Gallery
1989 Caprice
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
I made my own wiring harness. I used a haywire fuse block. any fuse block will work. I have many of the heavy duty circuits on fuse links wires to relays. The switch operates the relay and constant current to that fixture.
http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h298/1951otter/?action=view&current=15A-1.jpg
http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h298/1951otter/?action=view&current=14A-1.jpg
http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h298/1951otter/?action=view&current=17A-1.jpg
http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h298/1951otter/?action=view&current=0732700-R1-038-17A.jpg
http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h298/1951otter/?action=view&current=0732700-R1-034-15A.jpg
http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h298/1951otter/?action=view&current=10A.jpg
http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h298/1951otter/?action=view&current=4472530-R1-003-0.jpg
http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h298/1951otter/?action=view&current=0A-1.jpg
http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h298/1951otter/?action=view&current=587685-R1-012-4A.jpg
http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h298/1951otter/?action=view&current=2A-1.jpg
http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h298/1951otter/?action=view&current=587685-R1-028-12A.jpg
http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h298/1951otter/?action=view&current=004_4.jpg
http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h298/1951otter/?action=view&current=18A1.jpg
http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h298/1951otter/?action=view&current=17A1.jpg

See /read mad electric for some incite.
http://www.madelectrical.com/electrical-tech.shtml

If you do your own wiring harness I crimped, soldered and used heat shrink on all connectors. Then labeled each and clear heat shrink over the label. I have several binders on what I did, the excel spread sheet was set up showing what main input of the fuse panel goes to and how wired to switches and working part. It worked well as to what wire went where.

if you wish help just ask
look at the photo link

Last edited by carolines truck; 03/09/2010 4:32 AM.

Jim & Caroline
The highway is for gamblers, better use your good sense."
Gooday-that's my 1¢ answer due to the lousy economy ~ cause I ain't got - no . mo . doe

Every Shaver | Now Can Snore | Six More Minutes | Than Before ... | Half A Pound for Half a Dollar | Spread On Thin | Above the Collar || BURMA-SHAVE
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 226
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 226
are you looking to make it look stock? With original Cloth covered wire? If so, I do make some harness for some vendors. I can sale you what ever color and guage you need. You might be better off just buying a harness that is done for you. I can point you to some vendors. I will be getting a pattern for your type of truck once. I get a chance to find a good original to make copies from. drop me a call. visit my website Poetsseatauto.com and my phone number is at the top of the page.


Poets Seat Auto
Appraisals, Parts, Service
Past: General Motor's Master Technician
Member: Northeast Chevy/GMC Truck Club
Phone Number: 413.774.5856
Collector of: 1951 Army Chevy Burb barn door,53 GMC COE,two 1934 Chevy Truck,1935 Chevy Army Truck.1950 Gmc Suburban clamshell these are just my chevy/gmc trucks.

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0