The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Hambone, Gdads51, dt235sd, papas52, Bruce 1954-4100, tclederman), 129 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,111
Posts1,056,258
Members48,437
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#620161 02/15/2010 3:38 PM
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 3
P
New Guy
New Guy
P Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 3
Hello everyone I am new here and recently got a '53 3800 for a sweet deal. This is my first restoration and I am looking forward to the help and insight any of you can provide.

Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 154
E
'Bolter
'Bolter
E Offline
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 154
Welcome to the bolt. Plenty of help here. DON'T be afraid to ask for help. Eric

Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 33
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 33
Hey Patrick, Good to hear about your sweet deal, I also am new to this site and about 3 months ago picked up a 1953 3600 Iowa farm truck which I also think is a sweet deal,this is a great site the best there is I've had a lot of great advice, Good Luck with your truck.
Cardo

Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 33
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 33
Hey Patrick, Good to hear about your sweet deal, I also am new to this site and about 3 months ago picked up a 1953 3600 Iowa farm truck which I also think is a sweet deal,this is a great site the best there is I've had a lot of great advice, Good Luck with your truck.
Cardo

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Patrick, you made a good decision to join up. Welcome to the Stovebolt. You will find help from guys that have been there and done it..... what ever you decide. Lots of information available. Learn how to do a search and you'll find hours of info to read....but you can ask ANY question you want. Guys here can answer it.
TIP: for the best responses try to post in the correct forum....if you don't the moderators will move it for you smile

Edit: and we love pictures when you can and as you go along.

Last edited by Achipmunk; 02/16/2010 4:07 AM.

1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
Hi Patrick,welcome to the 'bolt.
Lets see some pics of your 'sweet deal'!
Jock thumbs_up


1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in Scotland
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr.
I've definately got this truck thing in my blood ... my DNA sequence has torque settings
"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 3
P
New Guy
New Guy
P Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 3
Here are some exterior pics. I have my first question.... I emptied the old fuel from the tank it was so ditry that I couldn't even se through it should it there a way to salvage the fuel tank?

[IMG]http://i861.photobucket.com/albums/ab179/Patrick-53/1206091236-00.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i861.photobucket.com/albums/ab179/Patrick-53/1206091237-00.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i861.photobucket.com/albums/ab179/Patrick-53/1206091255-00.jpg[/IMG]

Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
Hey, that is a pretty solid looking truck. Your local radiator shop can boil and clean your gas tank and coat it inside if needed. Don't get it coated just because you can, only if it is necessary.


1953 Chevrolet 3600
Fried Green T'mater (Vern)
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Caution: Political Statement
Man who runs in front of car gets tired, man who runs behind car gets exhausted.
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
If it had gas in it maybe a good flushing out will do the trick. Not many radiator shops, at least in my area, will do a tank anymore. Just last Friday I stopped in at one local shop to ask about getting my SMALL 13 gal panel tank vatted and they do not even do it any more..... then I went to the shop I knew would charge me an arm and a leg, and sure enough, they wanted $75 just to vat it over night. I told "Wade" to kiss my butt and left. I'll buy a new one before I spend $75 to vat it and another $75 for the kit/stuff to clean and coat it!!

Seems some shops are trying to make it all off one customer these days. Heaven forbid but I'd just about rather give my money to China than to see my own country men rob me..... heii, Jessie James carried a gun when he robbed folks!!!

EDIT: I might add that my tanke has already been blasted clean on the outside and even cleaned somewhat inside. I just wanted to vat it to insure all the rust was out of the inside.

Last edited by Achipmunk; 02/16/2010 5:34 PM.

1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 3
P
New Guy
New Guy
P Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 3
Thanks a lot fellas. I'll ask around here for one a radiator shop that will do it.

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 339
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 339
Welcome Patrick'53p/u...Lots of questions will get You
lots of answers here, at the Stovebolt...but first I have
a question...The doors and handles do not indicate a 53 on
Your truck...The 53 had push-button door handles and vent-
windows...I do like the doors better without the vent windows.
I removed the vent out of My doors, and installed the
stainless molding inside & out...Bill B.


1952 Chevy 3104 Shortbed 5-window
Remember; Politicians and diapers both need to be changed
often, and for the same reason.....

Moderated by  Achipmunk, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0