The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (klhansen, tricordati, Pre '68 Dave), 91 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,096
Posts1,056,477
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#617665 02/07/2010 6:16 PM
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 623
"MONGO"
"MONGO"
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 623
My boom truck had been setting on some pretty bad rear tires since I got it. I was holding off on swapping them out till I found the tires I wanted. Friday out at the Wichita swap I got a smokin' deal on some 9X20 Military tires. These things are about 40 inches tall and beefy. Not what you'd normally run on an AD truck but they are just perfect for what my purposes will be.
The guys up at the tire shop had some fun getting them mounted. The old timers did the bulk of the work with the young pups standing back scratching their heads. "What are you gonna run this on again?" Getting the 9X20's on the old truck 8.25 10 bolt truck wheels required two of the tire shop guys and Rick standing on the tire while the ring went in. But I didn't get a picture of that. Back at the lot Rick and I got the old tires that had gone flat off and the new one's on. Here's a shot from the rear.
Eventually the trucks gonna get these same tires on the front. The plan is to build custom wheels using the 10 bolt centers out of some old 2 piece wheels and the rings from the military wheels so we can set the offset the way we want on the front. At some point the rears will get reworked also to tuck them in and center them on the hub. I don't plan on running duals on the truck ever.

I stole this idea from my buddy big Tony (ttodd here on the bolt) He's run these tire on his doodlebug boom truck and a boomer he calls BoxHead that he built for another guy.
I'm pretty excited about this project, you know your all ate up with the old trucks when you buy tires and that night dream about putting them on.
Mongo


Mongo's Garage
Vintage GM Truck's & Parts
https://mongosgarage.com
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,997
S
Big Bolt Forum Co-moderator
Big Bolt Forum Co-moderator
S Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,997
I like the looks of that doodle bug. Thanks for all the pics.


A day without laughter is a day wasted- Charlie Chaplin
When wrestling a grizzly bear, you have to keep at it until the bear gets tired, not when you get tired.

1948 Chevy 2-Ton
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
He welded the winch and the boom pivot to the frame......a Big NO NO.


1953 Chevy 5-window 3100
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Picturetrail

Dave
Engine & Driveline Moderator

If you can't make seventy by an easy road, don't go. ~~ Mark Twain
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 623
"MONGO"
"MONGO"
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 623
Dave,
Clarify, why a Big NO No? What's the right way?
Steve


Mongo's Garage
Vintage GM Truck's & Parts
https://mongosgarage.com
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 469
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 469
Whats the big no no about welding rods they work way better than super glue. If this was a modern over the road rig that had to meet dot specs bring out the bolts. It's not and I have been using these old boom trucks all my life built like this with no ill effect. I've had more trouble with bolted together stuff failing than welded. My old truck gets used long and hard handling loads it was never ment to see and nothing has failed yet.

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
The only approved method of attaching anything to a truck frame or altering the wheelbase is by the use of bolts of at least grade five. I understand that the way this is used your getting by and all you've said but I look at this stuff from the eye of an engineer, the application and from a a lifetime of experience. I've had to repair too many frame failures. I don't care how you do it, OK with me as it's your truck and I don't mean to criticize you but this is something I have more than a passing knowledge of. So if your happy that is all that is important. Nuff said.


1953 Chevy 5-window 3100
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Picturetrail

Dave
Engine & Driveline Moderator

If you can't make seventy by an easy road, don't go. ~~ Mark Twain
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
I understand what Dave's saying too.
I would take his advice into consideration when building something, but don't think he was asking/advising you to torch it apart and bolt it back together in this case.

It's always good to know the right way even if we don't follow it, and good for new folks to learn the right way early on so they can make well informed decisions and climb out of the rut if that's the best thing to do.

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
Hey Mongo, shoulda asked Bill A for some tires, I got a set from him last fall, cheap.
Scott


Scott Ward

2 1948 1.5-ton Loadmasters
The red one and The snow pusher
1 1950 3100
1 1955.1 Chevy 6500
1 1954 Chevy 6500 2-Ton
1 1955 1st Series COE 5700
1 1963 K20 (454)
1 1964 C10 (350)
1 1951 1.5-ton Dump Truck
1953 and a 1956 Ford F800

Raising a teenager is like trying to nail Jello to a tree!
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
W
Socket Breaker
Socket Breaker
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893

Shame on you Mongo for making the old guys do some work.

*smirk*

Cool setup...

-W

Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 623
"MONGO"
"MONGO"
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 623
Keep in mind guys that these trucks are not meant for highway use, nor are they ever gonna see any heavy use. My truck is a survivor from an old Junk yard that went away when the 90 something owner passed away. The family came in and scrapped everything!!! Luckily a couple good guys that knew what was good stuff and got them to sell off some vehicles before they fell under the crusher.

This truck survived as it was still in use and used up til the end. I love the truck due to it's cobbled together history, and what Junk yard owners did back in the day before giant loaders and such started ruling the yards.
All my running trucks have to earn their keep in one way or another, so it's gonna get some use but I'm well aware that it's not an engineered solution, so I'll always apply caution when using it.

Tony's truck's that he's done were built in the same Spirit, some guys want a bone stock truck, some want a hot rod, we want period correct junk yard rigs. Tony built another one I know I've got pictures of somewhere, that was for a fella that runs a junkyard down in Tony's neck of the woods. It was built to match the 41-46 Truck that the owner of the yards dad built back in the day to work the yard. The Winch was built out of a Big GMC Rear end, with one side cut off and capped. These guys built these rigs with whatever they had laying around the yard. Some of them employ some pretty innovative solutions and engineering for their day.
It was common to see old Military surplus tires on these trucks. They were good in the mud, thick and cheaply acquired at the time.

Yeah, Woog' it was pretty funny old guys at the tire shop said they don't let the Young-ins mess with this stuff on their own. Secretly I think they like working on it, prob. brakes the monotony of Aluminum wheels and 4X4 stuff they usually get.

Mongo


Mongo's Garage
Vintage GM Truck's & Parts
https://mongosgarage.com
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
W
Socket Breaker
Socket Breaker
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893

I've always liked that boomer truck of yours Mongo... it was built for a purpose.

Thanks for sharing the pictures.

-W


Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 841
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 841
i like the boom truck too. what's the barrel holder for on the driver's side, a torch or just for parts that have been removed?

Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 623
"MONGO"
"MONGO"
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 623
Yeah, I believe the barrel was used to hold a torch set, and a handy place to stand when working with the wench.
Mongo


Mongo's Garage
Vintage GM Truck's & Parts
https://mongosgarage.com
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 128
1
'Bolter
'Bolter
1 Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 128
im going to be on the look out for some good tires on the cheap for my latest acquisition, a 62 GMC B4000,and a good shop to do the swap,im near the kansas city mo area. it currently has 8.25x20's. any leads would be greatly appreciated. who did your tire swap mongo?

Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 623
"MONGO"
"MONGO"
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 623
Watch Kansas City Craigslist, there's been some good deals on some used one's on there lately.
I have my tire work done by Lonnies on 24 Highway. All the Maps online seem to show them way in the wrong place but Here is where they actually are located. They've been doing all my oddball stuff for years, tractors, 4 wheelers and all my cars. Good guys and they only deal in cash.
Mongo


Mongo's Garage
Vintage GM Truck's & Parts
https://mongosgarage.com
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 623
"MONGO"
"MONGO"
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 623
I went back through my CL folder and located this one.
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/grd/1580699723.html
Hopefully it won't delete before you see this...
If you decide to get some from him let me know, I'm always looking for extra's if your gonna make a trip.
Mongo


Mongo's Garage
Vintage GM Truck's & Parts
https://mongosgarage.com

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0