The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (MikeE, Bill Hanlon, 1 invisible), 170 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,143
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 23
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 23
Are there still companies making them?


1953 Chevy 3100 Thriftmaster 3-Window
"Pride isn't in having. It's in taking care of what you have."
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Taint never heard of those but this has been in the back of my mind ever since I first saw it.
Here are a few pictures of Rob English’s GMC Huckster. Gives me a great idea for a cover if I ever get enough energy up to build one. Conduct ribs, canvas cover with a zipper in the back, easy to assemble/disassemble, easy to store an within most peoples capability to make at home.
http://www.stovebolt.com/gallery/english_rob_1951_01.htm
http://www.oldgmctrucks.com/page0018.html
Denny Graham


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 422
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 422
This all steel camper shell was made in Carson, CA. I don't recall the company's name.

Camper Shell

Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 23
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 23
I've seen the canvas top on a truck in the city next to mine. I might knock on the owners door and ask him where he got it.
I've seen another on an old ford F1 as well.

I did a search in Carson and American Camper Shell pops up. I'll give them a call.

found one on craigslist mounted on a '54 bed but it memory serves
me, that bed has flat side rails instead of the angled rails on
'47-'53. I still might drive by and check it out though.

I read that the '54 stepside bed was produced till the late '80's with different fenders depending on the year of the truck.


1953 Chevy 3100 Thriftmaster 3-Window
"Pride isn't in having. It's in taking care of what you have."
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 445
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 445
hi AD Denny.want too see something? go too the gallery,on this site .1951 chevy truck.dan kalenak.I did this 10 years ago.still got her in the barn.

Last edited by dan-pa; 02/05/2010 3:59 PM.

dan-pa
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,061
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Online: Content
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,061
I wrestled with this problem but never took action. I decided that the easiest way to mount a topper was to build up the sloped bed sides and make a flat surface that extended over the edge of the bed. This would allow you to set on a modern cap and bolt it down.

I never did this but I am sure it is possible.


1946 1-ton Panel
1952 1-ton Comml. W/Grain Body
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,061
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Online: Content
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,061


1946 1-ton Panel
1952 1-ton Comml. W/Grain Body
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
Originally Posted by MikeE
Look at this topper.

Very nice and he did exactly what you described.


Drew
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 175
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 175
My dad always made his camper shells for step side short beds, slight bow top frames cut from 2X4 noched into 2X2's rounded on the ends and extended a bit to match the bed sides and 5 2X2's connecting the 2 end pieces,the 2 top 2x2's notched to extend out to meet flush with bed side, The bottom 2X2's were set at the top edge of the bed sides and notched to set flush with the edge of the bed as well, the 5th 2x2 was the top center and was just cut to fit.

Covered with usually mobile home siding (because it was flat,and cheap at a salvage yard)and extended past the bottom 2X2's to cover the bed sides on the outside for the angled beds by 1" for water protection, then the canopy was framed in for windows and a door, door was put on with a piano hinge windows were hand made with plexy glass and framed in with aluminum channel or taken from a junk camper shell, the back door was aluminum covered thin plywood glued together and support screws at the corners to keep it from peeling and a door lock from a junk canopy as well,The tailgate end was framed in with more 2x2's and a 2x4 for the door to screw to and coverd with aluminum, depending on what time and detail you take on it they do look like factory made, best way to assemble it is to make the cab side first with it pretty much finished then put it in the front steak holes and put in the rear section also, true it up and install the runner 2X2's then put on the siding and finish up with the door, thats how he did it anyway.

Last edited by todjob2000; 02/06/2010 10:09 PM.
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
Have you seen this one ? Looks nice!


Professional Novice
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
I'd like to see a few more pictures of Al Cutcher's metal camper. I've been kicking the idea around about making a metal frame with a canvas cover to make it easier to remove and store but a ridged cap also interests me.
DG


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Let's not forget this site is for discussion of old Chevy trucks. Please post your novelty links in Greasy Spoon.

Thanks.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
HUH, cletis.


Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.
1954 3100 Chevy truck
In the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
See more pix
1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Explanation: a link to a novelty was posted and commented on. They were both deleted.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
I remembered seeing some plans from Popular Mechanics for how to build a truck camper posted on a website a few years ago and finally found it again. Maybe you have seen this before. I wonder how many people tried or did build this back in the day?
That Vintage Projects site has dozens of cool old-tech things you can build. Very interesting... thumbs_up


Professional Novice

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0