Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,133 Posts1,056,396 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#60709 05/21/2006 8:35 PM | Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 1,867 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 1,867 | Not a bolt related question.
I was drivin my old f*rd yesterday haulin dirt and she started shaking and banging. I nursed her home for about 5 miles or so.
I took one of the plugs out and it was covered in oil. No compresion either. Took the valve cover off and theres standing water. Check the oil and it looks milky.
What do I do know? Im assuming I blew the head gasket and thats why theres water in the oil. Also would a blown gasket account for absolutely no compression or did I punch a hole in the piston?
Its a 76' with a 390.
Any helps appreciated. Thanks, Jeff | | |
#60710 05/21/2006 9:16 PM | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 50 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 50 | From your description it does sound like a blown head gasket. As long as the head is not warped or cracked it should be a fairly easy fix (even on a F*rd) when you have some time to spare. Take the intake manifold, heads and anything else in the way off and install a new good quality head gasket. Once finished be sure to flush the cooling system and change the oil.
If it was just the head gasket, the pistons should still be in good shape. The reason there is no compression is because when 1 cylinder is on the compression stroke, the air that should be compressed leaks into another cylinder close by. This other cylinder will be on the intake or exhaust stroke, so the air from the first cylinder will leak out and not be compressed.
Good Luck Adam | | |
#60711 05/21/2006 9:42 PM | Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 887 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 887 | It might be worth while to have the head mounting surface checked and milled if necessary. Also, while yer at it, for $20 or so get the head mangnafluxed for cracks before you bolt it back on-
'51 Chevy 1/2 ton w/'62 261, HEI, offy, fentons, dual carter/webbers, t-5 & 12 bolt posi
| | |
#60712 05/21/2006 10:13 PM | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 364 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 364 | Originally posted by rustednuts:
or did I punch a hole in the piston? Head's gotta come off regardless, so I guess you'll know for sure then. 
Keith If it were easy they'd have grade schoolers doing it! | | |
#60713 05/21/2006 11:13 PM | Joined: Jul 2003 Posts: 132 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2003 Posts: 132 | If you had water in the valve area, that is probably not due to a blown head gasket. However, 390 intake manifolds, and their water passages are partially under the valve cover so a blown intake gasket could cause a miss and water in the valve area as well as in the oil.
I would do a dry and wet compression check, the low compression and water may not be related. A leakdown test may tell you more than just compression. Also, if you have access to a cooling system tester you could pressurize the cooling system and look/listen for leaks. | | |
#60714 05/22/2006 12:55 AM | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 | I'll bet even money the engine's trashed, sorry. After you find out for sure, I would look for a good 460 to put in it, Scott | | |
#60715 05/22/2006 1:03 AM | Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 1,867 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 1,867 | Of course its trashed its a ford Yeah the rod tore itself in half and threw itself through the top of the cylinder wall. (I noticed she knocked a little on the drive home!  ) But she made there! Not a bad truck for 2 cords of firewood and been drivin it like a tractor for the past 6 years. Pullin stumps, logs, rocks and whatnot. I think ill look for another chev now... Thanks again everyone. Jeff | | |
| |