The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Otto Skorzeny, klhansen, jmoore, ronsway, tclederman, 1955 1 Series), 147 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,085
Posts1,056,329
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 703
J
Jed
Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 703
Threw the fan belt on my 1948 low pressure 235 last night. I was a fair distance from home, with no where to stop safely, no tools to replace the belt, and no-one to call, so I had to limp it home.

During the course of getting her home, she got very hot, pegging the temp gauge. Wasn't sounding at all good, but continued running.

This morning, she started back up fine and sounded good. No initial indications of any issues.

What should I be watching for, in the event I caused some or more damage than I think I might have?

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge.

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,158
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,158
She still runs, which is a good sign. It takes a lot of heat to screw up one of these engines, and I think that you're probably fine. But, better to be safe than sorry...

Usually, when an engine overheats, you need to look out for the following:

Blown head gasket (Usually on engines with aluminum heads, but it can happen to cast iron)

Damaged pistons, rings, or bearings (Did it ping at all? That usually means that the gasoline is detonating instead of burning)

Water hoses - did any burst?

Radiator - Weak points can burst if it gets hot enough

How's your coolant/water level? Did any of it boil away? They say that in an unpressurized cooling system, the 50/50 mix will boil at 225° F, and slightly higher if the mix is 70/30.

Keep us posted. Hopefully, I'm right, and there's nothing wrong with it. smile


~#~#~#~#~
1946 Chevrolet 3600 - "Old Number Seven"

Cavalry's Here. Cavalry's a frightened guy with a rock, but it's here.
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
You could warm it up and then drain the hot oil in a clean pan. Put it in sunlight and look for metal particles.Look for small shiny particles or any signs of gray indicating excessive wear. If you see nothing then just refill and forget it. The oil probably lost it's viscosity from the excessive heat and needs changing anyway.

Curt B.


1952 1300 Canadian 1/2 ton restomod
You Tube
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 703
J
Jed
Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 703
Brendan and I.B. Thanks for the info.

I'm really hoping that everything made it through the ordeal ok. I tend to overthink/worry about these types of issues, but just want to make sure.

I'm not really sure of the current status of the radiator or fluid levels. Hoses all seemed to be okay. There was some antifreeze residue blown across the valve cover, but I'm assuming (until I have a better chance to look it over) that it was from the radiator boiling over.

You mentioned 225 as being a boiling point for a 50/50 mix. According to my gauge, it was at least there.

Internal damage and/or head gasket is my main concern at this point. Hoses and such are quick/cheap fixes in comparison.

The changing the oil is a good idea, and cheap insurance.

I'll try and get it all checked out this weekend and report back on my findings.

Keep your fingers crossed.

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,158
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,158
I'd forgotten about the viscosity thing...

Yeah, probably a good plan to change the oil.


~#~#~#~#~
1946 Chevrolet 3600 - "Old Number Seven"

Cavalry's Here. Cavalry's a frightened guy with a rock, but it's here.
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 510
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 510
If you don't find any coolant in the oil or vice versa and you're not losing coolant and all cylinders are firing...well, there's a real good chance you're gonna be ok.

The oil change and test for metal particles is a good idea, but finding a few particles my or may not be an indication of a problem. Now a WHOLE BUNCH of metal is a completely different story. But I'd think that would be accompanied by some other symptoms like lotsa steam out the exhaust, knocking or other bad noises. If ya don't got none o' these, then yer prolly ok.

Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 703
J
Jed
Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 703
Ray,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. You guys have eased a heavy burden from my mind today.

Based upon the short bit I ran it this morning, I'm thinking I'll probably be okay. But, I guess I won't really know, until I check the oil, let her run a bit, and get her up to temperature.

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
See if the oil smells real bad. If it smells "cooked", keep an eye on things like oil comsumption and smoke out the tail pipe.
Scott


Scott Ward

2 1948 1.5-ton Loadmasters
The red one and The snow pusher
1 1950 3100
1 1955.1 Chevy 6500
1 1954 Chevy 6500 2-Ton
1 1955 1st Series COE 5700
1 1963 K20 (454)
1 1964 C10 (350)
1 1951 1.5-ton Dump Truck
1953 and a 1956 Ford F800

Raising a teenager is like trying to nail Jello to a tree!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 703
J
Jed
Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 703
Thanks for all of the insightful information.

This morning, I finally got around to putting a new belt on, refilling the coolant, and changing the oil.

Glad to say, she started up and ran like a charm. Nothing odd in the oil, and no strange noises. I did have a slight panic attack, as I let her sit in the driveway running. When she got up to operating temperature, she spit a small bit of anti-freeze on the drive. Turned out I'd over filled the radiator just a tad.

I was so happy, I jumped in her and drove her to work today. On the way, I got a couple of "thumbs-ups", and had a truck load of concrete finishers pull me over to take a look.

Life in a Bolt is great.

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,158
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,158
Whew.

You lucked out.

I'm glad. grin


~#~#~#~#~
1946 Chevrolet 3600 - "Old Number Seven"

Cavalry's Here. Cavalry's a frightened guy with a rock, but it's here.
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 703
J
Jed
Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 703
I did! But, I'm completely OK with that.

Thanks!


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0