The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (mick53, Wally / Montana, Peggy M, stlcardinalsguy, Gray_Ghost), 61 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,130
Posts1,056,702
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#587957 10/30/2009 12:35 PM
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 5
M
New Guy
New Guy
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 5
Hi!

New chevy owner from northern Sweden here.

I recently became an owner of an old Chevrolet truck, that have been rebuilt into a Tractor by a farmer at some time, a so called Doodlebug, or EPA-tractor as they are called here in Sweden.

But I would need some help to ID the truck, since I don´t know much about it.
I only know that it is made between 1941-46 and that it is a 3/4 ton or bigger.
[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2515/3833622464_bac51661c7_b.jpg[/img]
The only ID tag I found (on the right side of the cowl under the hood) said:
Manufactured by Chevrolet division Car no: KDS 59.
Are there any more numbers I can find somewhere that can help me identify it?

Thankfull for help!

PS. don´t mind the Ford hood on it right now:P

Best regards/
Magnus, Sweden.

Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,729
J
24601
24601
J Offline
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,729
Hi Magnus and welcome to the Stovebolt Page! We have some other Swedes on the site so you have some friends here already!

Wow... they didn't leave you a whole lot to work with, did they?

What's there appears to be solid, though wink

If it has an engine, and the engine is original to the truck, then the engine number will tell us a few things. Look for the distributor. Right behind the distributor is a flat surface (where the dist shaft goes into the engine). On that flat surface should be the stamped engine number.

Also, to the front of the distributor and low on the block will be some casting numbers -- if you can tell us what those are, we can probably tell you more. At least what the engine is, anyway.

What are your plans for the truck? Looks like it would be fun to cruise around in just like it is (well, with tires and a seat... wink )

Tack och välkomna!

John



~ John

A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.

1949 Chevrolet 3804
In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum
1973 IH 1310 Dump
1963 Kaiser M38A1
2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"
2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Welcome to the Bolt magnus. Yep, looks like you got yourself a nice little doodlebug.... and you can always use that Ferd hood to go sledding on smile
Follow John's advice and you will definitely get some answers. I would even suggest maybe posting it in the General Truck forum for more exposure and answers.
Good luck and thanks for the pictures. Keep us posted.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 5
M
New Guy
New Guy
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 5
Thanks for the warm welcome:)

Yes, it need a lot of work before I can get it running again, and there are some rust that needs to be welded, but everything needed is there.


Thanks for the information on the location of the engine numbers. I will look them up, and see if I can find some more information on the truck here:)

My plans for the truck right now, is to renovate it as a Doodlebug tractor. I am trying to track down the former owner of the truck (I got it from a junkyard) and se if I can get some more information about it from him to, maybe when and who that rebuilt it into a tractor.

Best regards/
Magnus

Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 52
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 52
Welcome to the bolt magnus...Looks like you have a bit of work ahead of you...are chevy parts readily available in sweden?I hope so...cool project tho

Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 106
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 106
Hi Magnus. I had never seen a Doodlebug before. I really like it. Looks like it has paid its dues by doing a lot of good work for people and deserves some tender loving care. I sure agree with your plan to restore it as a Doodlebug and saving a piece of history. I look forward to seeing the Doodlebug again when you have fixed it up.


Stovebolts are good for the heart
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,215
Leo Offline
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,215
Welcome Magnus, hopefully you can get what you need to get her back together.

Leo

Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
Hi Magnus, welcome from another 'Eurobolter'
You've got some work to do,but the guys (and gals) here will steer you in the right direction!
Jock thumbs_up


1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in Scotland
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr.
I've definately got this truck thing in my blood ... my DNA sequence has torque settings
"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 423
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 423
Hej Magnus,

Looks like you've got some work ahead of you! I can just picture what the dudes at besiktningen would say about its current condition. But anything is possible with a little creativity.

I am down around Skaraborg, I fear it is a little distant to be of much support. I've got relations in Skellefteå. Northern Sweden is a large area, what part is yours?

Karl


It may not be the easy way, but it is the Cowboy Way - Ranger Doug
Beware of the stories you read or tell; subtly, at night, beneath the waters of consciousness, they are altering your world. - Ben Okri
1953 Chevy 3100
1960 Volvo PV 544
1941 Chevrolet Special Deluxe
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 15
S
Apprentice
Apprentice
S Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 15
Hey new Swede Guy, wow, I dig the 40something truck, but like the man said, not much there. It makes me feel somewhat better about mine. I thought missing brackets and emblems was a drag. Luckily you, like me, stumbled onto the best sight to find help...and great people who LOVE old trucks. welcome, Smileychick


1959 GMC 1/2-Ton Stepside
In the Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,859
S
Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats
Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,859
Welcome to the 'bolt Magnus.


The problems we face today can not be addressed at the same level of intelligence we were at when we created them - Albert Einstein Or with the same level of $ - Me
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 5
M
New Guy
New Guy
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 5
Hi again everyone, and thank you for your warm welcome here:)

Here comes a little update.
I found this engine number on the old chevy:
[IMG]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n27/Sid_020/Dsc01137.jpg[/IMG]
It seems that it have an older number to, that have been stamped over, and a new one been added!? Maybe it have been rebuilt/renovated at some time?

And I have more news to!
Since I posted my chevy find at a local webpage, an older man wrote to me and wondered if I wanted to have another old Chevy doodlebug.
It turned out to be a chevrolet of a newer model, that his father rebuilt into a tractor during the mid 1960:s, and was in use to the late 1970:s.
The engine was renovated in the late 1960:s so it is very good, and should be able to get running with little trouble.
Here is a pic from were it stood:
[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3567/3489667286_90a4a5c279_b.jpg[/img]
Here is a pic from when I picked it up:)
[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2663/4117257331_61f3752526_b.jpg[/img]
Here is this chevy´s engine number, and data plate.
[IMG]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n27/Sid_020/DSC03758.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n27/Sid_020/Dsc01133.jpg[/IMG]
If anyone know anything about these cars, I´ll be thankfull.

Best regards/
Magnus

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 324
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 324
Magnus

Welcome Magnus, you couldn't have come to a better site to help with your project. This site holds all the knowledge and experience from fellow bolters who will help in any way they can.





http://www.classyauto.com/v/Chevrolet+3100/Highlander+Woody/56359

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 324
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 324
Oops! I forgot to mention. The classy auto link at the bottom of the above post shows a very unique and rare woody chevrolet highlander. When I looked at the photo of your truck I immediately thought! hey you got the beginning of one of these woodies. I[m sure thats not what you have in mind for your truck, but wouldn't it be a cool project! Providing you can work with wood, the fabrication of wood parts would make it more economical. This link was originally posted by another bolter a few weeks back. Anyhow just a thought.http://www.classyauto.com/v/Chevrolet+3100/Highlander+Woody/56359


Moderated by  Achipmunk, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0