The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (TooMany2count, 1955 1 Series, homer52, UtahYork, J Lucas), 90 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,087
Posts1,056,377
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#577275 09/23/2009 6:55 PM
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 564
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 564
Can someone post a pic or direct me to a link of an original fan shroud for '63-'66 trucks?
I've discovered there are three different styles for the '60-'62 trucks, but have no idea what's out there for a '63-up.

A friend with a '63 is looking for a factory shroud.

-Brad


SOUTHERN FALL GABfest
October 6 ~ Commerce, Georgia
Details here!


Never Pee on an Electric Fence.
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 337
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 337
Here's a link to a 63-66 reproduction. I think the only place to find an original is Ebay or a local wrecking yard. I'm not sure when they changed, but the original 1960 style was a metal cylinder that wrapped around the fan. I think this style may have lasted until 62 but I'm not sure.

http://www.classicparts.com/1963-66-Fan-Shroud-V8/productinfo/78%2D921/


1960 GMC 1/2-Ton Pickup Truck
In the Gallery
Updates in the DITY Gallery
Now cruising in the Passing Lane
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 230
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 230
LMC has new '63-66 shrouds, but they are plastic and not exactly like the originals. They also have a seal kit for it. Originals to my knowledge are like hen's teeth.

Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 788
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 788
Originally Posted by Brad54
Can someone post a pic or direct me to a link of an original fan shroud for '63-'66 trucks?
I've discovered there are three different styles for the '60-'62 trucks, but have no idea what's out there for a '63-up.

A friend with a '63 is looking for a factory shroud.

-Brad

I do have an orig hanging on my wall. send me your email ad and I will take a pic and send it to you..It is not for sale
ron

Last edited by Gdads51; 11/10/2023 2:43 AM.
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 102
E
'Bolter
'Bolter
E Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 102
I bought the plastic repro from Brothers and it bolted on my 63 factory 4x4 GMC sub just fine.

EB

Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 319
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 319
LMC's are only for V-8's...


If you can't fix it with a hammer and screwdriver, you need a bigger hammer.
1965 Chevy C10
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 237
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 237
I got one from LMC and made my own brackets for it. I think it looks and fits great. I did get the one for a V8...

Know that the v8 rad does not sit down in the frame like the 6 cyl rad does.... That really puzzled me when i first encountered it.


Jesus is Lord!
Only through the blood of Jesus are you washed clean of your sins.
Come see us... Dad's Chevy
Our Video
God bless you! Michael..
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 319
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 319
Actually, LMC specifies the same radiator for all but the 230 on the later Chevy models. Given that a six is significantly longer than an eight, it only makes sense that the shrouds would be very different. I can't believe you need an 8" fan spacer for a V-8!
My '65 has no shroud, and the original 230 radiator...no wonder the 250 runs hot! I put on a big-blade flex fan, and use a 1" spacer so the fan is <3/4" from the radiator.
Now I'm curious...


If you can't fix it with a hammer and screwdriver, you need a bigger hammer.
1965 Chevy C10
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 237
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 237
The way that the 6 sits in there puts the fan closer to the rad. So I am guessing that is why the 6 cly did not have them... Or at least I have never seen one. Oh, and the little 4 blade fan does pull good air.

On my little 64 with the 327, I have a 2 1/2 spacer and a flex fan. That is all I had at the time I put it in. Well.. It sits right even with the fan shroud. I have not driven it but it will idle up to temp and not run hot so I think I got it setup right now.

In the past we had a 283 and then a 350 in the truck and it always ran hot when sitting at a red light. I always figured it was because daddy had an old rotten Impala rad in the thing and no fan shroud.


Jesus is Lord!
Only through the blood of Jesus are you washed clean of your sins.
Come see us... Dad's Chevy
Our Video
God bless you! Michael..
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,552
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,552
The six cylinders did have factory shrouds on them, but they are very shallow.

I have purchased the reproduction V8 shroud from LMC and I was happy with the quality, fit and finish.

I have a few factory V8 fan shrouds, if you need one.

Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 175
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 175
I have never seen a shroud for a 6 cyl or even seen brackets to put one on even working in a wrecking yard 20 years ago when they were still all over the place, I'd like to see a picture of one if any one has one or knows where to go.

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 57
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 57
What is the depth of the V8 as compared to the I6? I've got an original that wouldn't line up on my V8, so I assume it's for a 6.

Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 64
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 64
can anybody post info on 60-62 shrouds ? I need one on my 62, but never seen them, as well. thanks


everybody is ignorant @ something.the more we work together, the less ignorance there is floating around
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 335
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 335
you need 2 shrouds ctrworker, (one for me)!

Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 6
6
New Guy
New Guy
6 Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 6
I dunno, I bought one of the reproduction shrouds for my '66, and had to heavily modify it to fit. I'm running a 350 on factory mounts with a long water pump, factory fan, and fan clutch. The radiator is a heavy-duty "Desert Cooler" down flow model by US Radiator. The truck came with a six, but I ordered the radiator for the V8 when I did the swap.

I think the extra thickness of the aftermarket radiator might have something to do with the problems I experienced, as I had to remove about 1" of depth, but I also had problems with the shroud sitting at the wrong height on the radiator (fan would hit the bottom of the opening). Got it all together after lots of trial fitting and cutting/grinding though...

Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 52
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 52
My 65 has no shroud but it does have a gaurd on the top of the rad..I have a pic of it below hard to see though

Last edited by ambear; 10/29/2009 7:57 PM.
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 313
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 313
My 1966 with a 283 has an original fan shroud, and is made of fiberglass. I have owned two 1966 trucks that had the inline 6, and both did not have fan shrouds. I never had any cooling problems with either of those 6 cylinder engines.

Brad,

Let me know if you need a picture of the fan shroud in my 1966 C-10. I can take a picture, and e-mail it to you.

Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 426
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 426
I have a 1963 shroud, but it is for the 6cyl. I would let it go cheap, as I just converted my truck to a 3core radiator


http://s971.photobucket.com/albums/ae197/jon63c10
1963 c-10 shortbed stepside 427 BBC T16 HD 3 speed
1963 c-10 shortbed fleetside 348 "w" 1st gen big block & powerglide
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 800
K
k10 Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
K Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 800
The fan shrouds for a 60-62 V-8 truck are metal. They look like this one. 6 cylinders never had shrouds.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1959...ck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item2c51842017

The one shown is for a 409 car. I've forgotten the "code", but the number of ribs around the shroud tells you if the shroud is for a 283 or a 409. I have a 409 in my 60 GMC and I purchased a repro shroud and cut it down about an inch and a half. It works fine and looks original. I had purchased a shroud from LMC for my application and it was a fiberglas piece for a crossflow radiator. POS! Not for an original radiator. So if you have an aftermarket rad, go with LMC. If you want an original style go with the metal one.

Last edited by k10; 11/03/2009 12:15 AM.
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,552
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,552
Originally Posted by todjob2000
I have never seen a shroud for a 6 cyl or even seen brackets to put one on even working in a wrecking yard 20 years ago when they were still all over the place, I'd like to see a picture of one if any one has one or knows where to go.

I have a couple six cylinder fan shroud extensions, that the original fan shroud attached to. I don't have a photo on my computer, but I will take a few and post them. I have seen them loose, as well as, installed in factory-equipped six cylinder trucks...and I never worked in a salvage yard, but I have owned, collected and restored '60-'66 Chevy trucks since 1981.

Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 2
K
New Guy
New Guy
K Offline
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 2
Hi fellow c10 guys ,any body still have any original 63-66 c10 inline 6 fan shrouds for sale. Thanks for the help.

I seen somebody had one on here couple years ago. Help is appreciated

Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 70
E
'Bolter
'Bolter
E Offline
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 70
I have 66 C-10 6Cyl that my Dad bought in 76 and do not remember it ever having a shroud on it. Also it is worth noting that there is another hole in the frame for the motor mount brackets that was used for V8 trucks to move the engine forward. Using these holes gets the engine closer to the radiator and gets the distributor away from the firewall, very important if your V-8 has an HEI distributor.


ESum

Moderated by  Hambone, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0