The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Gray_Ghost, KEVINSKI, HandyAndy), 131 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,100
Posts1,056,514
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 25
S
Apprentice
Apprentice
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 25
Hello I am new to the forums and I really hope that I am doing this the right way. I have a 1962 that has the biggest steering wheel on a normal truck that I have ever seen and I was just wondering if there was any way to move the steering wheel more to the dash so that I may have more room to breath lol, I am a big guy and its really kinda hard to steer. I will be moving the fuel tank later to add bucket seats but really just looking for a quick fix for now.

I really hope to give as much to this forums as I get and I really do give thanks for all the people that put in the hard work, sweat and blood that give the easy answers to people like me....


Thanks

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
you may want to consider putting a smaller wheel on it.... maybe one like you get at the local auto store. I think they are mostly Grant wheels. I'm sure others have ideas but for the short term it may be the way to go.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 321
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 321
Your choices include what Achipmunk said or putting in a different column. Swapping out the steering wheel would be the easiest in the short term, but remember one thing. If you have manual steering a smaller wheel will make it tougher to turn. Small trade off for a bit more space though.


1963 Chevy C20 Longbed Stepside
1978 Chevy K30 Custom Deluxe
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 25
S
Apprentice
Apprentice
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 25
I would rather put a newer steering column just to get the steering a bit closer to the dash and I would also like to add a nice grant steering wheel. Anyone know what I should start looking for as far as the steering column?

Thanks

Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,262
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,262
Here are some ideas and options:

Option 1:

Since you state that even if you change the column you would like a nicer steering wheel I would suggest that you start with buying a steering wheel with less dish. The stock steering wheels on these trucks have a lot of dish to them. Guys running sprint cars and old roadsters used steering wheels that were big in diameter with almost no dish. "These look cool too IMHO". As stated above "Grant" is a good choice. They have a number of online catalogs and have wheels that are flat and are as large as 16-1/2". Here is a link to Grant's website: http://www.grantproducts.com/t-catalogs.aspx

Option 2:

Buy a tilt / telescoping column out of manual transmission vehicle. I have a tilt column out of a '72 Impala in my Model A Tudor Sedan. You will have to fabricate mounts, modify wiring and reowrk the attachment geometry to the steering box. Finding one though that doesn't have the ignition in the column & that is a tilt model might prove to be difficult, if you are looking for used.

Option 3:

Buy a tilt telescoping column from an aftermaket manufacturer of tilt columns, such as Ididit. They have one that is a bolt in for your truck. Here is the link to Ididit's website: http://ididitinc.com/retrofit_columns/60_78_chevy_trucks_tilt_column_fs60_62M_3_4_30_O.html

I hope this helps. Happy hunting :-)

John

Last edited by Hot Rod John; 06/26/2009 12:51 PM.

In the Stovebolt Gallery ~~ "The Orange Crate" 1965 C10 SWB Step Side Build Thread

Inspired to be different. Different in a way of my own, not in a way that others strive.
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 25
S
Apprentice
Apprentice
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 25
I sure will look into that and check some sizes I really need alot more room then I have now so the wheel will have to be closer to the dash by about 3 or 4 inches for me to have a little room and a smaller wheel will help to. I guess back in the 60's they did not have fat people lol but anyways thanks for the info and later today I will get some details from them.


Thanks

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
... I see a lot of folks here talk about a tilt column out of a chevy van. I do not know for sure about the length but from most conversations that is not an issue.
The other thing "they say" is that the van columns (Mid 80's?) does NOT have the key in the steering column so that would allow you to still use your dash switch. I'm using a 68 column in my 52 panel for that very reason. I do wish I had a tilt but hey, the 68 column was a freebie.

Last edited by Achipmunk; 06/26/2009 3:25 PM.

1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 175
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 175
Uggh! a smaller wheel with no P.S.? I'd put a KW wheel in there if I thought I could still sit in the seat! I got 2 tickits for my suicide knob but they can pucker up! thats like power sterring to me! LOL

Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 25
S
Apprentice
Apprentice
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 25
@ Up
I know what you mean about the knob I drive a 2009 Mack for my job and I think my arms would fall of if I drove one day without it.

Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 25
S
Apprentice
Apprentice
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 25
ok, I got the new steering wheel on and it helps out a lot but I still need to find a column that has less distance from dash to steering wheel so if anyone could help me out and tell me which one I could install that is shorter I would really be thankfully.

Thanks

Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 25
S
Apprentice
Apprentice
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 25
I think I will be ok with the grant steering wheel on and factory coloumn after I get the factory bench seat out and put me some buckets in, That factory seat seems to be about 24 inch thick lol.
Anyways thanks for all the info and now the hunt for some good thin bucket seats.......

Thanks

Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 98
6
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
6 Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 98
Hey Spanky...wish i seen this sooner..when i bought my 62,it came with a grant wheel. it is very nice,but i want the stock 62 wheel.what are you doing with that old wheel?....Mark

Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 25
S
Apprentice
Apprentice
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 25
well sorry to tell you that the stock wheel did not make the transformation, I was a bit impatient and kinda beat it off instead of waiting to goto the parts store and getting a puller. I still have the wheel but it was already in bad condition.

Sorry

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 841
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 841
i shortened the stock column and steering rod on my 63, a pretty big pain. cut the column and welded it back together. i didn't do it for more room- when i got the truck they had tried to install a different column. i had to shorten a original column to use the rod they had in the truck. small wheels stink in my opinion. on the 57 chevy i used to have when i has 16 they had put one of those stupid small wheels, it steered like a dream after i changed it back to a original one.

Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 237
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 237
If you put a smaller wheel on it and no PS, I would think it would be too hard to steer.. For me it would. If your a big dude that may not be an issue.

I had a Grant wheel on a 68 Nova with no Power steering and it was a bit of a pain to steer.. Of course I was 17-20 years old at the time and only wanted to ride around with the girls. But i would have to let go of her to steer the car... smile


Jesus is Lord!
Only through the blood of Jesus are you washed clean of your sins.
Come see us... Dad's Chevy
Our Video
God bless you! Michael..
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 25
S
Apprentice
Apprentice
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 25
lol, one day I intend to put power steering on it just had to make some room for now. I have a 78 power steering box off of a suburban and I was hoping someone could tell me if it would work on there or not.

Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 337
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 337
Yes it will work. That's what I installed on my 1960 about 15 years ago using the REZ Engineering kit. The following link shows some opinions. I don't remember if it was listed for the 60-62 when I bought it, but I did have to make some steel tubing spacers to provide the best fit.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=346034


1960 GMC 1/2-Ton Pickup Truck
In the Gallery
Updates in the DITY Gallery
Now cruising in the Passing Lane

Moderated by  Hambone, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0