The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (GRNHydra, Gdads51, Hotrod Lincoln), 69 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,353
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 68
F
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 68
Was wanting to get a open car trailer an was wondering what kind of weight trailer the old 59 (283-V8 3100 series 1/2) ton could handle?
ThanKS

Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
another question to ask is how much can it stop???? the brakes and suspension are very important. ron


Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.
1954 3100 Chevy truck
In the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
See more pix
1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,703
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,703
Im with Ron...pullin isnt the prob. with most vehicles its STOPPIN em when that ignorant * pulls out in front of ya or jams on the brakes in front of ya while ya comin down a good grade is the BIG problem.
Tim

Last edited by cletis; 03/10/2009 7:24 PM. Reason: language

1952 Chevy Shortbed

Photos in Photobucket

If It Aint Broke Fix It Till It Is!
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 240
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 240
That is where trailer brakes on both axles is a good good investment. Remember the master cylinder on these old trucks is a single unit, maybe a upgrade to the corvette M/C in the drum/drum version would be worthwhile. at least if a cylinder or line breaks you still have one axle to stop you.


You Learn more Listening than Talking
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
Another thing to bear in mind is '59's don't have ABS!
The guy in front standing on the brakes probably will!
A dual circuit M/C is a good idea and definately consider a trailer with brakes.
After all that's said I'm still not sure what the capacity is!
Sorry! ohwell


1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in Scotland
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr.
I've definately got this truck thing in my blood ... my DNA sequence has torque settings
"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 68
F
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 68
Thanks Guys,
I just reworked all my brakes with new stainless steel lines and hoses stops as good as it can with drum brakes.Just have to drive slow on the back roads with a load but would like to be able to pull a trailer loaded with parts for sand blasting.I was just wondering what the max trailer size would be safe with a stock setup like mine?Did not want to buy another truck if this one could do the work I needed.

Last edited by Focus; 03/10/2009 5:22 PM.
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 769
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 769
We are forgetting something very important here. Our trucks were at one time used as trucks, and some still use them as trucks. They were built tough and were capable of doing a good days work, within their capacity.

Case in point, some 60 years ago my parents had a 49 1/2 ton short wheel base Chevy with a camper shell on it. With this truck they towed their 41 foot trailer house out of the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mts some hundred or so miles to another place of residence and again moved by the same means several times. This 41 foot trailer house would have been loaded with everything they owned, and that 49 AD would have been loaded with mom and dad and two small boys and the family dog.

So just remember they were made to work, but they need to be in good repair to be safe in the process.

BTW
I have a picture of the truck pulling the trailer house. I will post it soon.

Last edited by Lonnie Gallaher; 03/10/2009 5:44 PM.
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,215
Leo Offline
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,215
I wouldn't even consider having a car trailer without it's own brakes, in fact here it's the law that they have brakes. They need to be inspected every year. I would think your truck would handle a 6000 - 7000 lb tandem trailer, get a transmission cooler if it's auto.

Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 446
I
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
I Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 446
I agree with Lonnie. Trailers have been around for a long time. I remember when I was young and my family hauled a 30 foot camp trailer from Oregon to Mexico in a 1965 chevy 1/2 ton. I cannot remember the engine size just this moment, but it was all stock. (A 1960's camp trailer is much heaver then todays.) Of course we had a trailer brake system. But I wouldn't even think about it without a complete brake job along with wheel cylinders and master cylinder.

Edit - Let me just say....Pulling a 30 foot trailer with a '65 1/2 ton may have been pushing the capacity, I'm not sure. I would do my homework and be safe.

Iron Clad

Last edited by Iron Clad; 03/11/2009 2:28 AM.
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 688
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 688
There are times when I would like to have disc breaks! drive
but then again I really don't pull much with the ol Bolt! headscratch

Cliff59


Deluxe \'52, Savoy \'54 Apache59
"She may not be the youngest girl at the ball, but she can still turn a head or two."
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 649
Y
'Bolter
'Bolter
Y Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 649
I'll bet a good trailer mfg., could give you some info on your truck's requirements for towing. I think the first rule would be never haul anything bigger than what your towing it with. A tow package generally includes receiver hitch, heavier springs, bigger brakes, larger engines. Also get some tips on weight distribution, and drive looking ahead as far as you can.

Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
I would think a loaded 4000-6000 lb trailer would be maxing out a 55 1/2 ton's pulling ability. And don't expect to keep up with traffic either. 4 drum brakes, a short wheelbase truck, and an overloaded trailer spell out disaster. A heavy poorly loaded trailer can quickly take control of the tow vehicle.

I would not even consider towing a trailer with 4 wheel drum brakes. I would also reccomend towing with a longer wheelbase than 114". In the situation listed above, I believe this 55 year old 1/2 ton is not enough truck.


Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
I wonder when GM started issuing Combined GVW for trucks. It seems to me that the answer on a more modern truck would be in that figure.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
If the truck won't pull the load no one dies. Your rear gears will probably determine how hard it is to get a load moving but you should be able to move anything that is reasonable on a common dual axle car trailer.

But the real danger as others have suggested is stopping. And you are risking the lives of people around you if you can't stop.

If you are talking about hauling a frame or just some body parts and have trailer brakes and a good controller, you are probably okay.

In my state the law requires trailer brakes on any trailer over some number of pounds and which represent more than some percentage of the towing vehicle's weight. I'd suggest being sure you understand the local law and then make sure your configuration is well within the rules.

If you can't stop within a reasonable distance unload the trailer until you can.



1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0