Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
2 members (Wooley, 59 fleet),
70
guests, and
4
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,096 Posts1,056,488 Members48,444 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 3 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 3 | Mike here, I live in Gainesville Fl I have just acquired my second fire truck. It is a 1949 4400 and once upon a time it was the first fire truck of Chiefland Fl. To call it a fire truck now would be a stretch. It looks like a old farm truck with a wood bed. All of the fire fighting equipment has since been taken off, along with most of the cab.I have learned much about my truck after reading other threads. I promise to search subjects before starting a new subject. I look forward to asking many questions and being made fun of for my lack of mechanical knowledge. I understand I am a green horn and I am real good at taking a joke. I don't know why I like this truck so much I just do. I also someday would love to own a cab over. I think they are so great looking. When I look at the shape and design I just see "TUFF!!"
Thanks for reading Mike
Righty-tighty Lefty-loosey RIGHT?
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 1,186 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 1,186 | Hey Mike, Welcome and get us some pictures!
Bruce | | | | | Joined: Nov 1995 Posts: 5,727 24601 | | 24601 Joined: Nov 1995 Posts: 5,727 | Welcome Mike! Nobody is going to make fun of you around here for any lack of mechanical knowledge -- you'd have to know less than I do and .. well, that's just not possible. We all learn together, so don't be afraid of asking questions -- even ones that may seem dumb or may have been asked before as there's usually others who are wondering the same thing and could be helped along with you. We do get to kidding around a lot and poking fun at each other, but it's after we get to know ya (and what your buttons are). '49 big bolt, huh? Well that puts you in a special category of elite old truck owners, you know. Not just anyone is allowed into the hallowed ranks of '49 ownership. You are obviously a powerful and influential man, and ruggedly handsome too. All '49 owners are. Right Bruce? Yeah, and get us some pictures and a write up for the Gallery. Email them to [email protected] John
~ John A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult. 1949 Chevrolet 3804In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum1973 IH 1310 Dump1963 Kaiser M38A12001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley) | | | | | Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 382 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 382 | Welcome Mike! Way to make friends with the big boss right off the bat!  | | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 1,186 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 1,186 | You are obviously a powerful and influential man, and ruggedly handsome too. All '49 owners are. Right Bruce? Hey John, I think your recalling incorrectly. I believe that statement was about 1954-1955 1st owners. Who are the true individuals in the AD collecting scene. Much loved and often emulated by some who are not able to achieve the '54-'55 1st status.
Wow, that sounded really good 
Bruce | | | | | Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 3 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 3 | I will get on the pictures as soon as I can. She ain't pretty. I was exited to find a culture complete with a new language and even more exited to find out I am part of the more exclusive BIG BOLT club. Thanks guys for the warm welcome.
Mike
Righty-tighty Lefty-loosey RIGHT?
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall | | Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 | WElcome to the Stovebolt. Best place to be if you own a truck. Now if you could just send us a little or that Florida sunshine we would be the best of buds!! Look forward to seeing you around the garage. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 581 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 581 | Ahem . . . did somebody say . . . FIRE TRUCK?!! Mike, as the (not really) proud owner of 5 fire engines, inc. two Stovebolts, I demand details!!! If this is your second, what is your FIRST fire truck?! Chassis, builder, etc. And what WAS this one, when it was in service? Pumper? Rescue? Salvage? Who made the fire truck body? Welcome, and congratulations on being the newest member of the S.V.F.D.! (Uh, that's a sub-set of the Big Bolt sub-set, the Stovebolt Volunteer Fire Department. I'm pretty sure Chief Milliman is the founding member . . .  -Michael | | | | | Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 238 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 238 | Welcome Mike ; I just my 1st fire truck home - a 1950 Chevy - last night about midnight . Also anything fire truck related gets Lots of attention on this site. I'm NO mechanic - but of heck of a parts changer . I also Love Ugly trucks . Remember post Lots of pictures of your projects when you can . You should fit in with this crowd without a problem . ED H | | | | | Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 3 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 3 | Ahem . . . did somebody say . . . I demand details!!! If this is your second, what is your FIRST fire truck?! Chassis, builder, etc. And what WAS this one, when it was in service? Pumper? Rescue? Salvage? Who made the fire truck body?
-Michael Well I must admit the first truck is a F**d 8000 custom cab the fire equipment was made by Kovatch Or KME. It is a coe 1989 but the style of cab was used way back to the 60's. I bought this vehicle as an eye catcher for my business. I own an ice cream shop called Sweet Dreams of Gainesville. The thought occurred to me that everyone loves or at the least watches out for fire engines soooo what better idea for a promotional vehicle than this big red monster to compete with all of the chain ice cream shops. Than I got the crazy idea to gut the back and put a ice cream shop inside of it. I found a chop shop owner that is as crazy as I am and begged him to help me with this project. I have documented the conversion as best as I could. But I must say a lot of the process is lost to the dead of the night. I did remove the pump and saved what I thought might be valuable to other people. I could send pics of lots of valves and linkage. to whoever is interested. My biggest concern on this project was that the truck looked like it could go put out fires tomorrow when it was traveling down the road. Then I open the custom back door and I can serve delicious homemade ice cream. Finding info and parts for this truck has been difficult. As for the 1949 4400 I know little about this truck I just bought it about two months ago. I will blanket the truck with my camera as soon as I can. I am sure I will be told more about the truck than I will ever be able to tell. I don't have a clear idea just what I want to do with the truck or what I can afford. I like it and I want to keep it red is the plan right now. My first question; How do I find a grill for the 4400?
Righty-tighty Lefty-loosey RIGHT?
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2007 Posts: 100 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Feb 2007 Posts: 100 | Hey Mike, it is all good. Time is on your side and we FF's will give ya all the support ya need. Hope ya have better luck than Oz with your camera!@@#!@ | | | | | Joined: Nov 1995 Posts: 5,727 24601 | | 24601 Joined: Nov 1995 Posts: 5,727 | Bruce, As I am not up to date on modern patterns of speech down in the 'hood, help me in understanding your post correctly -- Are you asking me to banish you from the discussion forums??? Is that what you're actually saying there?? Hmmmmmm?  John As for the rest of you -- with all these fire trucks we're all so proud of, how come I only have 7 (seven) submissions for the 2009 Stovebolt Fire Department Calendar??? Get out there and take a nice high rez picture of your truck. 200 DPI, 17.5 inches wide by 11.5 inches tall. Give me about 3 inches of space around your truck to the edge of the image (i.e., don't crop the image right to the light, bumpers and tires). It doesn't have to be restored, just a nice picture of a Firebolt! It doesn't even have to be your truck! If your local department has a Stovebolt parade truck, go snap it! Thanks, John
~ John A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult. 1949 Chevrolet 3804In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum1973 IH 1310 Dump1963 Kaiser M38A12001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley) | | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 1,186 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 1,186 | What I ment to say is we are all family and none of us are better than the rest. When you get right down to it, '49 owners are really great! Please don't ban me......I have no friends! 
Bruce | | | | | Joined: Nov 1995 Posts: 5,727 24601 | | 24601 Joined: Nov 1995 Posts: 5,727 | Bruce, Okay, that's much better. I'm glad I wasn't hearing you say something very foolish like '54 - '55 1st Series owners are more ruggedly handsome and studly than '49 owners. You may remain unbanned. For now ...  Gosh -- Nobody thinks this was serious, do they??? Mikestem -- Do I have any pictures of your trucks for the SVFD calendar? And by the way, speaking of the SVFD, we have a volunteer working on a Department logo for us that will be neat on our t-shirts, stickers, hats, etc. Once have that, we can really pretend to be a virtual VFD. I am willing to act as the acting/founding Chief, but I think we should have elections as soon as we have the graphic. It would better to have one of us who actually knows something about being a fire fighter and about how VFDs work to be the real/official Chief of our virtual SVFD and educate us about our trucks and how they contribute, etc. Musters could be problematic ... Regards to all John
~ John A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult. 1949 Chevrolet 3804In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum1973 IH 1310 Dump1963 Kaiser M38A12001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley) | | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 | Bruce, Okay, that's much better. I'm glad I wasn't hearing you say something very foolish like '54 - '55 1st Series owners are more ruggedly handsome and studly than '49 owners. You may remain unbanned. For now ...  Gosh -- Nobody thinks this was serious, do they??? Since I own one of each, I do believe Bruce was right in the first place. You must still have a fever John, you're talking like you're still delirious. And do I think you're serious? Yes I do, remember I WAS you so I outta know! LOL!!! Scott | | | | | Joined: Nov 1995 Posts: 5,727 24601 | | 24601 Joined: Nov 1995 Posts: 5,727 | Oh, I see, FORD boy.
Like, Dude, You are sooooooooo banned! Well, if I can talk Peggy into letting me, which I am pretty sure I can.
Hey, while we're trash talking, did you get any high-rez photos of Bill Alderson's fire truck? The one he had at the show?
Thanks, John
~ John A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult. 1949 Chevrolet 3804In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum1973 IH 1310 Dump1963 Kaiser M38A12001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley) | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 581 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 581 | Musters could be problematic ...
Regards to all John You may have struck on something there . . . The VIRTUAL MUSTER! Some of the fun, with none of the clean-up! A concept for the new millenium! Or, . . . not. Seriously, my buddies are trying to convince me (and succeeding) to drive Rosie, the as-yet-unassembled '41 Firebolt, from St. Loo to Indianapolis this summer, for the SPAAMFAA convention & muster. If I get her back together, I see a Stovebolt Saga in the making . . . John, I'll work on a photo. Have to dig around in the computer . . . -Michael | | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 92 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 92 | Hey, while we're trash talking, did you get any high-rez photos of Bill Alderson's fire truck? The one he had at the show?
Thanks, John I've got a couple but they're from inside his building. (Maybe I have some from last year) I'll send you what I've got. I have a few of the V-12 truck too, Scott
Last edited by 48bigtrucks@work; 12/02/2008 8:54 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 92 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 92 | Oh, I see, FORD boy.
Thanks, John Calling me Ford Boy Mr. Closet something or other! LOL. Scott | | |
| |