The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Otto Skorzeny, Gdads51, Hotrod Lincoln, 1 invisible), 93 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,354
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 5
A
New Guy
New Guy
A Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 5
Hello, I recently bought 2 1954 chevrolet cars (i know they are not trucks, but you guys are the god of stovebolts) anways the cars have been sitting in a field since the 60's and are pretty bad. My question is how to i get the motor back from the dead without pulling it out for an overhaul. I've goot the stuff to haul out the motor but i'm broke so i can't buy new pistons/etc.... so whats my first move on these cars? any tips to unfreeze pistons etc?

Thanks


Can't Get Enough Of Chevrolet
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 5
A
New Guy
New Guy
A Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 5
links/suggestions anyone?


Can't Get Enough Of Chevrolet
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Pull the plugs, put in some Marvel Mystery Oil. Let set a few days and then see if the engine will turn over. If they are standard shift go underneath and take the flywheel cover off and get a BIG screw driver or pry bar. Put it between the bellhousing and into the flywheel teeth and gently work it back and forth. If it doesn't free up that way then some more marvel oil and pentetratiing oil added to the cylinder and let set.

While this is settling I'd be draining any fluids that are left like the oil (but don't put any new in until you get the engine free. Need to go ahead and drain the gas tank even though I would not put any gas in the tank to try start it. Stick a rubber hose into a gas can and to the inlet side of the fuel pump. (If the fuel pump don't send gas to the carb then the diaphram is bad......but you can still put some gas in a squirt bottle and try to start it...just be VERY CAREFUL.
New plugs would sure help along with a peek at the points to make sure no corrosion is on the points.
Take the battery cables loose and make sure the ends are clean especially where it gounds to the chassis/body.

OR you can just hook a chain to it and drag it down the road with someone sitting on the fender squirting gas in the carburetor grin NO NO NO....just kidding don't do that nono

Treat it like it is a truck engine! Good luck....maybe you can trade the two for a pickup?

what did I forget guys?? I forgive him for not having a truck smile


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 649
Y
'Bolter
'Bolter
Y Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 649
Welcome, just wanted to warn you that 99.9% of the time these old engines will come back to life, but will still need some major mechanical work. I've had good luck with 216's but all my 235's smoked after bringing them back to life. I would also suggest pouring oil over the rockers/lifters, cause if there stuck you will bend the pushrods. Fresh fuel, cleanup the points/plugs, you may have to pull the plugs 2-3 times to clean them from all the oil. A strong battery especially a 12 volt on a 6 volt starter will kick it over. You may want to pour oil over the rockers for about a week before you try to turn it over, and I assume you know it turns over easier without the plugs in provided it has any compression.

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,826
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,826
www.kanolabs.com

Kroil is the best penetrating oil, bar none, for freeing up stuck engines. Pull the spark plugs, pour 3 or 4 ounces into each cylinder, reinstall the plugs, and wait about a week. Pull the oil pan drain plug, and you'll get almost all the Kroil out of the pan. It crawls right through the rust. Do that a few times, then put a long pry bar on the flywheel, and rock the engine back and forth until you can get a full turn out of it. You'll still probably have to do a valve job before it's over, but barring major rust pits in the cylinders, you might not have to pull the pistons and hone the cylinders.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 79
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 79
This may seem like a "no-brainer", but when you get ready to crank it over, don't trust the clutch or the shifter, make absolutley positive it is out of gear and the wheels are blocked and chocked. Old gooey oil in the tranny can do some suprising things...


1949 "Heinz 57"
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
American Lead - Here is a test I did a few years ago about unsticking pistons. FYI

https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthread...l&topic=0&Search=true#Post215167

Builder

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
My 1950 Chevrolet 3600 with a 216 had been sitting for some 30 years when I bought it. After bringing it home and beginning work I discovered the block was cracked (check it over carefully especially on the manifold side if you live where it gets cold). After determining I needed a new engine I pulled the old one and began selling parts on Ebay. I too had poured oil in at first and attempted to turn the engine over before discovering the crack. I found all the cylinders to be free but one which was rusted solid. Oil and turning had no effect it was so solid I had to drive it out with a hammer and the top of the piston separated. I guess my advice check carefully and give the oil time to do its work. On the other five you could see it had penetrated and gone down the bore.

Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 469
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 469
Also if the pistons give a hint that they will move stop at that point remove the valve cover and make sure there are no stuck valves before the motor is turned over. Any valves stuck shut will result in bent push rods. Any magic liquid poured in through the plug holes will wind up in the crankcase.

Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 5
A
New Guy
New Guy
A Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 5
Hi Thank you all so much for giveing me the advice i needed. I'll be getting the cars next month with any luck I have to get my full licence first because i have to cut them out of where they are. Thanks for helping a non-truck guy, This is a very nice website, and i'll be back to bother you with a few more questions yet (lol) Thanks for shareing your knowledge... Someday i'll have to buy me a truck wink.

I'll keep you posted on how it goes. I'm hopeing to get it back running by the summer

Wish me luck and thanks for the remedies.... I owe yous one,
All the best,
Robert


Can't Get Enough Of Chevrolet

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0