Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
0 members (),
191
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,089 Posts1,056,141 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#36969 02/08/2005 6:06 PM | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 192 Member | | Member Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 192 | I'm thinking of using my original 59 for parts since the 58 I just bought is in better shape and has a running v-8 283,so the question is, the smooth running 6,thiftmaster worth anything?I would sell it with the working 3-speed column shift with spare head and exhaust manifold.what would this be worth? I live 1 hour north of the dakota border in Canada.-would use the cash to fund the other truck,please make note thet I'm only considering my options and any feedback from you professional bolters would be appreciated. | | |
#36970 02/08/2005 6:17 PM | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,733 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,733 | Well you know how it is when you ask for opinions; like something else, everybody has one. Here's mine: Inline Engines Rule.
A good 235 engine/tranny combo is worth at least $250 or more depending on condition of course. And your "283" is perhaps a 265 if original to the truck. I'm not sure what year Chevy made the switch to the 283, could have been 58'. | | |
#36971 02/08/2005 6:22 PM | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 192 Member | | Member Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 192 | well the #s arent matching in both trucks and I was asssuming the guy waz being honest .,,hahhaaha,anyway will do engine # search and find the truth,he called it camel heads!!!whatever that meansthank you for the input. | | |
#36972 02/08/2005 6:37 PM | Joined: Oct 2004 Posts: 175 Member | | Member Joined: Oct 2004 Posts: 175 | We had a 1957 Belair all original and it had a 283 with powerglide.
You 235 will sell fast and easy for around $250, but I weould seriously consider seling the 283 instead.
Boo
We don't need no stinking V-8s!!
| | |
#36973 02/08/2005 8:20 PM | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 Riding in the Passing Lane | | Riding in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 | I got $500 for my 235. It was detailed & tuned.I,d run the v8 especially since it is already in there.  They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne SuperIn the Gallery Forum | | |
#36974 02/08/2005 8:34 PM | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 | You mean to tell me you guys would prefer to drive a 6 cylinder over a V-8? Why? Scott | | |
#36975 02/08/2005 8:40 PM | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 687 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 687 | Originally posted by 48bigtrucks: You mean to tell me you guys would prefer to drive a 6 cylinder over a V-8? Why? Scott More expensive to maintain, parts harder to find, less power, being different. You know - all that normal stuff. -ftyler | | |
#36976 02/08/2005 8:48 PM | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 | | | |
#36977 02/08/2005 9:32 PM | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,798 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,798 | The 283 came out in 57. I don't remember if the 265 was available for a while, but I don't think so. Any V-8 from 57 to 61 was probably a 283. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | |
#36978 02/08/2005 9:45 PM | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | Jerry - the 265 was the 'standard' V8 thru [most of] 57, w/ the 283 being an option that was the standard 'big truck' V8 for 57 - 265 was dropped after 57
I'd keep a 235 too, if I had an extra, if only for a spare [have both myself in my current 2 trucks] - for the one 'in progress' I might put a 235 if I had a good one handy, but will rebuild a 283, which I have lots of
Bill | | |
#36979 02/08/2005 10:37 PM | Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 578 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 578 | People are astounded when you open that huge hood and they look in and they can see the ground.
"Happiness equals reality minus expectations" - Tom Magliozzi
| | |
#36980 02/08/2005 11:47 PM | Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 130 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 130 | andre, the "camel heads " refers to the shape of the patterns cast into the end faces of the heads used to roughly identify the attributes of the heads.[the shape is propably similar to camels' humps, a popular performance head].
our garage is a non-profit organization
| | |
#36981 02/09/2005 12:30 AM | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 192 Member | | Member Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 192 | Gasryg,when I loked at them they didn't have any curves so maybee he's ful of .... and the chrome heads had chevrolet imbedded in em so i'll go with283 until otherwise.any wayt with all the discussion and it only being worth 250,i'll just keep it in her and maybee give it to my oldest.it runs ,drives,stops great,just alot of canadian cacer,,,,, thank you all for your all input!!! | | |
#36982 02/09/2005 12:48 AM | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 477 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2001 Posts: 477 | tell ya what. give me a 235 with a 4 barrel clifford intake, and headers, hotter coil, and lighter vacuum advance springs, and bring yer 283 on! gimme a 292 set up the same way and make it a 350! near the end of a 1/4 mile you ought to be gaining on me, but not enough!
se if you guys can find a link to "spears and hamilton" who ran an opel g.t. in the 70's with a 292 in it. i think it ran the I-gas class. lot's of people hated the thing, and for good reason. they saw alittle more of the back of an opel than they wanted to. this country never put the time or effort into inline engines necessary to really make them into what they could have been. it took the japs and 4 bangers to do that. (too bad really). guess i'll hear about THAT remark!
the thing is--i have raced on and off the street as a kid, and believe in 6 bangers. i still do.
why else be here? | | |
#36983 02/09/2005 1:15 AM | Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 119 Member | | Member Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 119 | Koolkar, if the 283 has a four barrel and hotter cam too, you might be in trouble!  | | |
#36984 02/09/2005 1:15 AM | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,733 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,733 | ...and for all of those uninitiated out there who have no understanding or appreciation of Inline engines, a friend of mine holds the current world record for a 6 (SIX) cylinder inliner at 8.97 & 168mph. Put your 283, 327 or your 454 up to that! :p
p.s. the 283 did come out in 57' but 265's were still used in PU and in standard stick shift cars. So many of you think that ALL 57 V8's were 283 cid but not true. | | |
#36985 02/09/2005 7:26 PM | | Anonymous Unregistered | | Anonymous Unregistered | ...and for all of those uninitiated out there who have no appreciation of Inline engines I would ask, why are you even on The Stovebolt Page. Doesn't "Stovebolt" refer to the old Chevy inline sixes? | | |
#36986 02/09/2005 7:57 PM | Joined: Jan 2003 Posts: 687 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2003 Posts: 687 | Had a 235 souped up in a 61 Chevy Impala Conv't. would run fast against 283's stock. There is so many options to old 6's How much do you want to spend? If I had one motor to build ("old") tho it would have to be a straight flathead 8. Now we are talking. popcorn The Truth is Out There (V8's are easy and cheap to build) | | |
#36987 02/09/2005 7:58 PM | Joined: Apr 2002 Posts: 1,571 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2002 Posts: 1,571 | The inline 6 still has some life left in it...BMW has been using them for years, and GM recently released the new Vortec inline 5s and 6s. My 2001 Jeep Cherokee has an inline 6. It might not be the most compact designe ever, but mmm......torque.......  | | |
#36988 02/09/2005 9:56 PM | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 | The only reason the "Stovebolt" era trucks didn't come with small or big blocks is, they weren't available yet. The V-8 engine is progress, replacing the weaker 6 cylinders. I understand the affection for the days of old but it's just that, old. I walk on both sides of the fence with having 6's and 8's. The truck that I built to actually work has a V-8 in it and nobody can tell me that a 6 cylinder truck of the same age and size is just as good, I have both. If you want to race, I could put less money into a small block as one could put in an inline and end up with twice the engine. I just don't understand why people are down on the V-8's. They do there job and do it well. They can't be all bad if they are still being produced after 50 years. Let the arguing begin, Scott | | |
#36989 02/09/2005 10:26 PM | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 310 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 310 | There is a place for a 6 and a place for a V8. Under the hood of my '51 is the place for a 6. Under the hood of my '79 Thunderbird is the place for a V8. If anybody needs to know what engine should be under their hood, I will be glad to help!!! 
-Tim '51 Chevy 3104 w/'56 235, 848 Head, HEI Dizzy, Corvette Cam, Split Manifold and Dual Carter YF's
| | |
#36990 02/10/2005 1:05 AM | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 364 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 364 | someone correct me if I'm wrong, but on a 283, aren't the top side valve cover bolts directly in line with the bottom valve cover bolts, and on the 265, the bottom valve cover bolts spaced a little farther apart that the top valve cover bolts? I could be thinking 307 or 327 valve covers are different but I thought 283 valve covers were different that 265 also?
Keith If it were easy they'd have grade schoolers doing it! | | |
#36991 02/10/2005 8:36 AM | Joined: Apr 2002 Posts: 1,571 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2002 Posts: 1,571 | I don't have anything against the 350 small block - my '77 'Vette has one, and it should be there. However, go to any car show that has a lot of hot rods...and you will see row after row of different makes of cars, all with small-block Chebby engines. It's just rather boring. "Oh look! I've got a 350! I'm just like everyone else here, including those guys driving Fords, Dodges, and Hudsons..." A hopped-up 6 will get attention, just for being different.
Cubic inch for cubic inch, an inline 6 will produce more torque than an V engine of the same displacement and technological advancement. If there wasn't something to the design, BMW and Jeep would have abandonded it long ago, and GM wouldn't be going back to it. | | |
#36992 02/10/2005 9:16 AM | Joined: Oct 2004 Posts: 175 Member | | Member Joined: Oct 2004 Posts: 175 | Well -- Well -- Well it looks like the enigmatic Boo Radley is going to have to straighten a few things out! First and foremost, this is STOVEBOLT.COM -- Get it?
Further, any dufus can bolt in a 350 crate motor and pretend they did something. It takes talent and skill to make an old 235 scream at ya, but if ya do it right it sounds like something is coming to kill you and eat your children, and while its making all that radical sound it impresses the heck out of everyone who sees it run!! Pop your hood and show off your six banger and people are craning their necks like they never will to look at one more small block.
If I wanted a modern truck, I'd go buy one, and I wouldn't be hangin' around the STOVEBOLT forum!
Boo
We don't need no stinking V-8s!!
| | |
#36993 02/10/2005 6:54 PM | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 58 Member | | Member Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 58 | I like the six for the ease of working on it. I had a stock 350, but the F*#d 302's kept kicking my a%s. Don't get me wrong, I bleed chevy orange, but for the cubic displacement of a 350 I expected a lot more per each of those 350 cubic inches. I have a stock L-6 250 and it gives me everything I want from it and more, I get more bang for each cubic inch. I'm really just waiting for someone to design a 350ci inline 6, maybe something with a 4.20" bore and a 4.20" stroke? In the mean time I'm still looking for a 292. INLINES 4 EVER! My $0.02 Dano You may now proceed to mock my post! :p
69 C10 LWB 250 L-6/3spd 79 C30 Crew Cab Dually 454 V-8/TH-400
"Takes more than a coat of paint to make it at Thunder Road!"
| | |
#36994 02/10/2005 11:15 PM | Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 51 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 51 | Heck, I have more fun running the old 230. When I raise the hood I get a double take when they see a stock 6 inline, and that's the way my Dad would have want it. 
1965 C-10 Stepside
| | |
#36995 02/10/2005 11:27 PM | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,798 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,798 | Pakrat, the break point on the offset bolt holes in the valve covers was 1959. After that, all the smallblock V-8's had valve cover bolts straight across from each other. That would make the 265's, and early 283's the ones with the offset bolts. Also, the 1955 model 265 engines did not have a block-mounted oil filter. It's not a big thing, but if you're doing a restoration, that engine is HARD to find! Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | |
#36996 02/11/2005 2:04 AM | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 | I just love the six vs. eight war.
Its your truck, run what makes sense to you in it. My own feeling is that if you're going to run it daily you just might be happier with modern induction and ignition, and while you can do that on a six, modern v-8's already have it.
Some of my trucks have eights and some have sixes. Some are going to change from sixes to eights and none are going to change the other way.
Where were the six lovers when I wanted to sell the 235 out of my '54? It took months to find anyone interested even in having me deliver it. The '54 isn't finished yet, but it will have a small block Chevy V-8 when completed and I'm convinced for the way I want to use it, that's the only reasonable choice.
1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more... It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble... | | |
#36997 02/11/2005 2:52 AM | Joined: Oct 2004 Posts: 175 Member | | Member Joined: Oct 2004 Posts: 175 | It's an enigma! I had a 53 burb that I put a screamin hot 327 in when I was just a pup. Now I have a 1970 C/10 with a 250 inline and if anyone suggests a V8 I just look at them with the special look I reserve for people I think must be completely insane Boo
We don't need no stinking V-8s!!
| | |
#36998 02/11/2005 2:58 AM | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 | Originally posted by Boo Radley: I just look at them with the special look I reserve for people I think must be completely insane I must be 2 years older because I have a '55 Suburban and a '72 C10. Of course the '72 is a 350 and the '55 is a 270 (GMC).
1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more... It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble... | | |
#36999 02/11/2005 3:30 AM | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,953 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,953 | Most hot rods and custom cars are running V8 motors. Be different. Remember "V8's are like a-holes, everyone has one". Saw a mild custom AD with a 235, 4 barrel, HEI and a split exhaust manifold. It sure drew a lot of attention., | | |
#37000 02/11/2005 8:21 AM | Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 12 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 12 | I have a 58 fleetside with a 235. alot of the guy's around here tried to talk me into swapping for a 350 with an auto tranny. but you know there are alot of 350's out there and not alot of 235's left, so i think i'll be different and keep it. Besides there are enough mod's i can do to my 235 to make it a very interesting ride. plus pound for pound the 235 is one of the most reliable engines ever produced. | | |
#37001 02/12/2005 3:19 AM | Joined: May 2004 Posts: 62 Member | | Member Joined: May 2004 Posts: 62 |
47 Fleetmaster, Hotrod 6, 5 Speed 50 Sedan Delivery, 327, 5 Speed
| | |
#37002 02/12/2005 5:36 AM | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 | Lookin' good, Hotrod6. Very clean engine compartment.
Is that an oil filter mount attached to your manifold or a manifold heater? | | |
#37003 02/12/2005 8:00 AM | Joined: May 2004 Posts: 62 Member | | Member Joined: May 2004 Posts: 62 | Cletis,
Thanks!
That is an oil filter. It is a remote mount/spin-on from NAPA. It is a by-pass NAPA 1320 filter and is plummed with steel line.
One of the steel intake manifold heat lines running from the header is visable in the photo just to the right of the oil filter mount.
Hotrod
47 Fleetmaster, Hotrod 6, 5 Speed 50 Sedan Delivery, 327, 5 Speed
| | |
#37004 02/12/2005 9:27 AM | Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 196 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 196 | the two hump heads are big valve 202s if it was a triangle shape its a for barroll head if its flat or no shape its a 2 barroll head missspelled to late at night | | |
#37005 02/12/2005 2:19 PM | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 192 Member | | Member Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 192 | very nice 6,I think I'm gonna hold on to her for a while,your right it is reliable,it hasn't failed me as of yet,maybee I can do something with the rear end to give it better highway speed?any suggestions? | | |
#37006 02/12/2005 2:44 PM | Joined: Jul 2003 Posts: 252 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2003 Posts: 252 | I can do something with the rear end to give it better highway speed?any suggestions? Forget the rear end, just add an overdrive | | |
#37007 02/12/2005 3:59 PM | Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 4,095 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 4,095 | i took my 54/3100 in to the shop yesterday to have the muffler replaced that a backfire destroyed. plenty of hangers on there, asked what kind of engine i had in the truck. my answer was a corvette. they thought LT1, not so, early corvettes had a 235 (53). just don't let them look. i also have duals so it helps with the illusion. would like to have the new straight 6 for all the air and other improvements. but will stay with the old 235. ron
Ron, The Computer Greek I love therefore I am.1954 3100 Chevy truckIn the Gallery 2017 Buick Encore See more pix1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
| | |
#37008 02/15/2005 8:38 PM | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 192 Member | | Member Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 192 | Well I have the best of both worlds don't i ,, but a few yaers of work ahead,I heard that s-10 5-speed tranny will fit on the 6 ,is it true,would they fit on a 283?? just wondering | | |
#37009 02/16/2005 2:23 AM | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 613 Member | | Member Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 613 | the s10 t5 will fit a 283.but its geared low and is weak.most people use a camaro t5 with a s10 tailshaft. | | |
#37010 02/16/2005 3:53 AM | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | Andre, you had a virtual I6 vs V8 war going on there for a while! This is a very active site.
For my own two cents worth, I have found that undoctored V8s tolerate higher rpms a way better than an undoctored I6. The firing order of the I6 is easier to remember for the older memories like my own!
Fred | | |
#37011 02/16/2005 5:28 AM | Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 1,067 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 1,067 | Yeah, you diehard I6 guys really hate the hotrodder crowd, don't you?
If I wasn't planning on using my truck for towing, I'd bring an inline 6 up to date and run that. But since I'm going to be towing things around the mountains, I think I need more grunt than my trusty 235 can provide.
One comment, 53Moneypit: You mentioned you have a friend that runs high 8's with an inline 6 and challenged any hotrodders running V8's to match that. But what I can't figure out is, what's the difference between so heavily modifying a Stovebolt I6 so that it runs 8.97 and bolting in a V8 truck motor? You're still MODIFYING the truck!!! See my point??? It is no longer original.
The point of hotrodding is not necessarily to be the baddest, quickest truck...Model A...T-bucket...Willies...etc. on the planet. The point is customizing a vehicle to your dreams, with as much or as little chrome and leather as you want. If you hate hotrodders, you're really barking up a big tree. That's like going to a Goodguys car meet and picketting with a sign. What's the big deal??? You drive your truck and we'll drive ours.
...There, I'm off my soap box.
52 GMC 3/4 ton pickup 68 Big Block Vette 68 455 Firebird | | |
#37012 02/16/2005 10:25 PM | Joined: Apr 2003 Posts: 66 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Apr 2003 Posts: 66 | If we all lived in the same color house, on the same street, with the same pickett fence around the same sized yard, we wouldn't have much to talk about would we ? I just love old trucks; 6 or 8. 
Joe - (Buckeye Bowtie) "Remember it takes about 2850 bolts to built a Chevy Truck and only 1 NUT to scatter them all over the highway"
1950 3100 1971 C-10 1939 Buick Century
| | |
#37013 02/17/2005 2:46 AM | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 192 Member | | Member Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 192 | are we havin fun yet? well I just brought home my other truck ( finally paid off the remaining amount) ( see pics on page 4-5 on the webshot below,it a nightmare,the guy who attempted to hotrod it ,molested it!more putty than metal and has officially become the parts truck .any body need any parts? i'm stickin with the six on ol black jack | | |
#37014 02/17/2005 3:21 AM | Joined: Oct 2004 Posts: 26 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Oct 2004 Posts: 26 | Hot Rod Dad: You hit the nail right on the head! | | |
#37015 02/17/2005 3:41 AM | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | Someone told me that when you have a project truck, you need at least one other truck to complete the parts collection. Now I can't do this because I don't have the space, but it sounds like a great idea. | | |
#37016 02/17/2005 7:18 AM | Joined: Apr 2002 Posts: 1,571 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2002 Posts: 1,571 | Actually, I have nothing against rodded trucks. I don't think most of the people here that prefer the I6 to the V8 are anti-rod, but like something that is a bit more unique than a cookie-cutter 350. I don't recall ANYONE saying that it's evil to have anything other than a bone-stock 216...but a vehicle can be a hot rod without a 350, no matter what Summit and Jeg's might try to say about it...
Check out the gallery at inliners.org - those guys have some very cool I6-powered rods. My '54 panel will be a "resto-rod" type of truck - mostly stock exterior, some interior changes, but nothing drastic, and a later model 250 with TBI injection under the hood. Plenty of performance parts are available for both older and newer I6s.
My 'Vette has a 350...when I get around to it, I'm going to build a fuel-injected small block for it - probably a 383 stroker.
If anyone wants to drop a V8 into their truck, go for it! Do what will make you happy with your truck! Just don't be surprised if I spend more time looking at the truck next to you with a tricked-out 302 GMC...
Hot Rod and 66 - I think you got the wrong message. I don't recall any posts in this thread saying that anyone is going to hell for not keeping their truck factory stock... | | |
#37017 02/17/2005 6:06 PM | Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 1,067 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 1,067 | It's a long-running issue, not just on this thread. Here is another example from 53moneypit:
"Now I know this will upset a bunch of you but that frankly is your problem. Heres mine. This place is about STOVEBOLTS....you know, the SIX CYLINDER INLINE engines made by GM for about 70 years. So why are so many of the things I read in here about V8's????
Duh....?
...just too darn many underage kids with cars comin' in here I guess. "
>>>>>>>>>>>That was nice and rude, wasn't it. Granted, that's another thread, but it seems to be all that this guy bitches about. I guess I'm getting tired of that kind of arrogance.
52 GMC 3/4 ton pickup 68 Big Block Vette 68 455 Firebird | | |
#37018 02/17/2005 7:30 PM | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,733 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,733 | Hello Hotrod Dad Sorry if you mistake my fondness for Inline engines and support for my argument as arrogance. I assure you it isn't, anymore than I would accuse your misinformation about 6 bangers as being narrowminded. But about your statement that being modified somehow makes your belief correct, all I can say is that tact takes you very wide of the question. Nearly everyone of we Inline guys has V8's in other vehicles, I myself have several and I've absolutely nothing against "hotrodders" and even enjoy being one. But please do not mistake my suppot of inlines as something it isn't. Believe me I learn from everyone, probably even you.
My whole point is that this is a place for Inline engines. Help, discussions, sharing information, and just hanging with others who enjoy them is why I come here. There are so many, many other places I can go for that sort of thing about hotrods, V8's of all sort, etc. that is seems out of place in here. That is my opinion. Whether anyone else shares it or not I cannot say nor have I. Everyone is certainly welcome here I'm sure but it would seem appropriate if they would at least stick to the subject matter w/o making personal attacks on those who do. So if you hotrod V8's that is fine with me 'cause so do I but I brought a 6 cylinder to this shindig and I'm going to dance with her. | | |
#37019 02/17/2005 11:38 PM | Joined: Oct 2004 Posts: 26 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Oct 2004 Posts: 26 | GMCpanel: I meant no disrespect to anyone. I just thought he had an intersting point that modifying a 6 banger is still not keeping it original, just like swapping motors isn't keeping it original. I think we all should let this subject slide & find something else to talk about besides growling at each other. I figure a person should do whatever tickles their pickle. We all beat our brains & knuckles because its fun. Whether you got a 6 banger, V-8, slam it to the ground, jack it up, or keep it all original it really doesn't matter. I'm just glad there are alot of you out there to keep some of these older rigs on the road! | | |
#37020 02/17/2005 11:45 PM | Joined: Apr 2002 Posts: 1,571 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2002 Posts: 1,571 | Sorry...I didn't mean to growl at anyone. Stock is good, hot rod is good, restomod is good...the important thing is to have fun with your truck! | | |
#37021 02/18/2005 2:15 AM | Joined: Oct 2004 Posts: 26 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Oct 2004 Posts: 26 | GMCpanel: No, no, no. I'm real sorry I kinda worded that wrong. I didn't mean that you were growling at anyone. When I first came to this site I got lots of help (still am as a matter of fact). But all the sudden 1 note someone left has exploded into WW3. I am on neutral ground, I respect how anyone does things even if it's not how I'd do it. Heck if ya get a little greasy and get these older machines going the way you like to have them.....well that's the whole idea here.
Livin in a free country sure is nice isn't it? | | |
#37022 02/18/2005 4:13 AM | | Anonymous Unregistered | | Anonymous Unregistered | What can I say??? I have 2 6's because thats just what they are....I have no idea what you can do to them. I have been told a few times for drivability sake to go to a v8 but not yet  . Just curious, what would you guys consider the top three greatest inline 6's ever made (I don't care what how you come to the decision I just want an answer  )??? | | |
#37023 02/18/2005 7:38 AM | Joined: Oct 2004 Posts: 175 Member | | Member Joined: Oct 2004 Posts: 175 | It's really not V8's in old trucks that bothers me. My Dad and I put two in the same 53 burb! What bothers me is seeing the same 350 chev motor over and over and over and over AD NAUSEUM! I would absolutely not choose a 350 to put in an older chev truck. A 283, a 327, a 390 or 472 caddy, a nail head Buick in a 47-55 pick-up; but BETTER YET, a SCREAMIN! HOT!!! 270 jimmy in a 41 coupe!!!  Just be creative and AVOID THE BOYD!! Boo Radley
We don't need no stinking V-8s!!
| | |
#37024 02/19/2005 3:32 PM | Joined: Nov 1995 Posts: 5,723 24601 | | 24601 Joined: Nov 1995 Posts: 5,723 | Yes, diversity is good. If I had the experience and knowledge that most of you do, I'd love to build my '49 4400 back up with a Cummins (and it would still be an I6  ). A Detroit 671 with a blower and stacks would be really cool, too  . Or maybe even a Maxidyne!!! (I'll wait until Peggy lets me get a B-61 for that one, I guess...) But I'll be sticking with the '57 235 that was in it when I bought it. Call me chicken, I guess. Regards to all, John
~ John A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult. 1949 Chevrolet 3804In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum1973 IH 1310 Dump1963 Kaiser M38A12001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley) | | |
#37025 02/19/2005 6:35 PM | Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 1,067 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 1,067 | Okay, thanks for your kinder, smoother interpretation, 53MoneyPit. That's an attitude I can live with easier. Don't get me wrong, I really love my Stovebolt. And I understand how some Stovebolts can be made really really powerful. I read about an early 50's Stovebolt pick up truck with a custom 6-71 supercharged 235 than ran 160-something mph at the Bonneville salt flats. WOW! I started out with a Frankenstein truck. It's mostly 1952 GMC, but has the cab and gauges of a 1953 Chevy, and the drivetrain out of a 1956 Chevy. Absolutely nothing is original to this truck. It looks original, but really look and you'd see it isn't. I'm going to continue the tradition and bolt on the 4WD out of a 68 GMC under it, with an SM465 transmission...the only thing is, it has a V8 Chevy bellhousing pattern on it. I could either stick a 292 on it and leave it a straight six for awhile, or go ahead and modify it for a V8. The thing about the venerable small block Chevy is the ease and low cost of building and modifying them. And they run very well. I would not be the least offended if a Stovebolter took more time looking at the original resto truck beside mine...I'd be right there next to him. I really love the look of the Stovebolt engines, but a chromed out, supercharged 407 small block would probably make my dream truck. As long as diversity is recognized and the harsh-worded attacks stop, I'll be happy.
52 GMC 3/4 ton pickup 68 Big Block Vette 68 455 Firebird | | |
#37026 02/20/2005 6:41 AM | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,798 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,798 | I miss the pit crew truck a race team I worked with had back in the late 60's. It was a 55 1st. series, with a Ferarri engine, a Colotti 5-speed trans, and a Jag rear end. It ran like a Fzzzazz, and handled like a pickup! That's a combination that will give you a racing stripe in your BVD's! Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | |
#37027 02/21/2005 8:02 AM | Joined: Apr 2002 Posts: 1,571 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2002 Posts: 1,571 | Jerry, now THAT is a truck that I'd like to drive!
Anyone who uses a SBC with a displacement other than 350 will at least get some style points :p I actually picked up a 4-bolt main 400 block for the 'Vette this weekend...dang swap meets...go looking for truck parts, buy engine block for car. | | |
#37028 02/21/2005 10:01 AM | Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 154 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 154 | Different strokes for different folks, your truck your preference, it's for fun right,  Zeke
The Amish Connection 51 Chevy 1/2 ton 5 window,Vortec hotrod, no horse
| | |
#37029 02/23/2005 8:33 AM | Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 1,067 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 1,067 | I was going to put a 400 in my Vette too. But I changed my mind and stuck a 427 in it. Seemed like it cost about the same to build. Good luck with that. I know what you mean. I always go to swap meets thinking I'll find one thing, and buy all kinds of other neat things. 
52 GMC 3/4 ton pickup 68 Big Block Vette 68 455 Firebird | | |
| |