The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Gray_Ghost, Joe W), 211 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,231
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#33812 04/11/2004 11:38 AM
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 158
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 158
Hi all, my uncle has a chevy 3/4 that he is letting me use for parts. Right now my 73 is 1/2 ton, I want to convert it to 3/4 ton. I know that the rear axle will bolt up fine, but what about the front end?? What all do I need to replace there, just the spindles? I dont think the coil spring is that big of a deal, or is it? The parts truck is a 74. Thanks all,

Let me know ASAP, I am going to continue working in the afternoon!

- Shane


- Shane (ChevyToughRebel)
2 Trucks;
-1955 3/4 Ton Chevy
-1979 3/4 Ton Custom Deluxe 20 4x4
1955 Second Series 3600
GED = Git Er Done
#33813 04/11/2004 4:33 PM
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
Isn't that one the model with the bolt-in front crossmember? It would be simpler to just swap the whoe unit, crossmember, springs, control arms, and all. Maybe I'm thinking of a later model, but on some of them, it's possible to swap the entire front suspension with about 8 or 10 bolts. I don't think the control arms, bushings, etc., are the same from 1/2 to 3/4 ton.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
#33814 04/11/2004 7:41 PM
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 158
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 158
Well I hope they will come out with a few bolts like you say, does the 73 already have the holes in the frame?

- Shane


- Shane (ChevyToughRebel)
2 Trucks;
-1955 3/4 Ton Chevy
-1979 3/4 Ton Custom Deluxe 20 4x4
1955 Second Series 3600
GED = Git Er Done
#33815 04/11/2004 10:07 PM
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
It would be easier to swap the bodies over. The frames from a 1/2 to 3/4 are different. I would think you would want the beefier frame with the heavier suspension.
Scott


Scott Ward

2 1948 1.5-ton Loadmasters
The red one and The snow pusher
1 1950 3100
1 1955.1 Chevy 6500
1 1954 Chevy 6500 2-Ton
1 1955 1st Series COE 5700
1 1963 K20 (454)
1 1964 C10 (350)
1 1951 1.5-ton Dump Truck
1953 and a 1956 Ford F800

Raising a teenager is like trying to nail Jello to a tree!
#33816 04/12/2004 2:00 AM
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 158
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 158
Well, I have decided to go ahead and pull the rear axle, drive lines, and tranny and hold onto them until I get a front axle, drive line, transfer case, and suspension to convert this thing to a 4x4. So, I wont be installing any of that until then, thanks for the help guys!

- Shane


- Shane (ChevyToughRebel)
2 Trucks;
-1955 3/4 Ton Chevy
-1979 3/4 Ton Custom Deluxe 20 4x4
1955 Second Series 3600
GED = Git Er Done

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0