The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (frogfarmer, Steelonsteel, Gray_Ghost, TUTS 59, 2 invisible), 176 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,268
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 22
J
Apprentice
Apprentice
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 22
Ok guys,I have all my engine #s. At least I think I got em right. 1st it has 2 side engine mounts. The valve cover has 6 small screws around the "rim" of it to hold it on. The 1st thing I see on the starter side of the block.Starting from the rear is the letters CON [I think] right below it is a clock dial symbal w/the hand pointing sraight up. to the right of that the #s E208[I think] then 3821963 Below that the letters GM & the # 70 below that. Now Ive looked on the lists the tech dept. has & cant find these #s on any of them. Think I could get one of you nice fellows to help a guy out before I start a serious drinking problem?? Thanks for any input. Jeff

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
check for the engine # next to the distributor


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 22
J
Apprentice
Apprentice
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 22
Quote
Originally posted by Achipmunk:
check for the engine # next to the distributor
OK, I did. The # right next to the distributor is 28F & below that the # 2710 Thanks for your reply,does that sound like a # that can be used to find out what the heck this is? Thanks again. Jeff

Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,029
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,029
I thought that the 194-292 series engines had seven valve cover screws, late 235 had four and early 235, 216, 206, 182, 194 had two.

Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 22
J
Apprentice
Apprentice
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 22
Quote
Originally posted by Baldy:
I thought that the 194-292 series engines had seven valve cover screws, late 235 had four and early 235, 216, 206, 182, 194 had two.
I dunno,Is this a question or...?

Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 22
J
Apprentice
Apprentice
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 22
Well,guess I got everybody stumped. Or I havent given the right info. out to help.Still would like to know what engine I have so I can see if I can swap trannys to an automatic,maybe elect.ign.& get my gauges done correctly. ANYBODY??? Any input would be helpful. Thanks again. Jeff

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
52 panel, take your #'s to an old garage who would still have some books of the listings laying around. There is a web site for V8's which is mortec.com but I don't think it list 6 cylinders. I am not sure about Inliners web site as I have not been there.....just hang tight. The answer will come.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
somewhere I read to check chuckthetruck web site.... I think???


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 324
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 324
go to www.inliners.org scroll down to casting numbers.


"It ain't a truck if you can't hose out the cab."
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 324
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 324
oh yea, the cast in numbers on the right side of the head could help also.


"It ain't a truck if you can't hose out the cab."
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 324
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 324
left right im (((((up left side of head, right side of block. cast in numbers are what you want to look for. by the distributor are stamped in numbers, they are harder to find info, but i seen something some place. My 54 and 39 both have 2 nuts holding the valve cover. my guess is later model.


"It ain't a truck if you can't hose out the cab."
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 452
X
Member
Member
X Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 452
Double check the block casting number. The number given may not be a valid number. Sometimes the digits in these casting numbers are hard to distinguish. The closest number I've found is 3921968, which would be for a 64-76 230 or 250, according to Inliners. The casting date of E208 would then translate to May 20, 1968.

The given numbers by the distributor do not follow the usual engine series number format. We're these the numbers stamped into the pad just aft of the distributor? This could have been a replacement engine.


Curt
----
1953 Chevy 6400, 1957 Chevy 2dr Sedan
--"Mediocrity is easy, the good things take time"
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 200
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 200


Moderated by  MNSmith, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0