The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 182 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,228
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#240857 09/18/2007 4:07 AM
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 141
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 141
Hello,
I joined today. I'm from Fairfax, California. The first car that I ever bought was a 54 Chevy wagon. I had it for about a dozen years and traded it off about a dozen years ago. Last week I bought a 48 GMC 1 Ton Flat Bed. You can see it at http://home.comcast.net/~chriseye/gmc.html
The first things that I want to do to it are repaint the cab, and rebuild the bed. I am still trying to determine what kind of wood that I should use for the bed and the wood joists below it. I think that I am going to repaint the cab with rustoleum hunter green. What do you all think?
Thanks,
Chris

Last edited by Peggy M; 04/12/2025 11:58 PM.
#240858 09/18/2007 4:31 AM
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 688
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 688
Hi Chris,
Welcome to the bolt. I like that GMC.


Cliff59


Deluxe \'52, Savoy \'54 Apache59
"She may not be the youngest girl at the ball, but she can still turn a head or two."
#240859 09/18/2007 4:39 AM
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 190
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 190
Welcome, Nice truck good luck with it.

#240860 09/18/2007 4:46 AM
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 843
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 843
Hi Cris,welcome to the "bolt"
I can suggest fir for the joists and bed.It is much harder than pine

#240861 09/18/2007 5:16 AM
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
Chris,

Welcome to the Stovebolt. It's interesting that the inside cab shot shows a reverse lockout lever on the shifter. In regards to Chevrolet's, I thought the last year for that was '47.

Stuart

#240862 09/19/2007 2:41 AM
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
wellcome to the Bolt. Your in good hands now. Sure like the truck to.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
#240863 09/19/2007 3:10 AM
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 141
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 141
Thanks everyone!
After doing some research, Apitong seems like the best wood for the truck bed. It will cost almost $400 for 1x7x1 1/16" shiplap. As for the joists, I'm considering redwood, or pressure treated doug fir.
Chris

#240864 09/19/2007 5:21 AM
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,409
J
Former Workshop Owner
Former Workshop Owner
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,409
Great looking GMC!! smile smile smile smile smile smile smile That one sure has character. Yellow pine is the wood that was normally used by the factory.

Welcome aboard

John


~ J Lucas
2006 GMC Envoy 4.2 I6
2023 Ram 2500/Cumins 6.7 I6
2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Wife’s)
2002 Silverado 2500 Gas 6.0
1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1942 Chevy 1.5-Ton SWB
In the Gallery
My Flicker Photos!
#240865 09/19/2007 5:26 AM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 272
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 272
Welcome Chris,
Nice truck!!


Quote
Originally posted by atomarc:
Chris,

It's interesting that the inside cab shot shows a reverse lockout lever on the shifter. In regards to Chevrolet's, I thought the last year for that was '47.

Stuart
I thought that also..........


1948 AD Pickup
#240866 09/19/2007 5:35 AM
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 141
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 141
What kind of finish did the factory put on the wood? If mine is original, it looks like it was painted green to match the truck. Did they ever use clear finishes?
Thanks,
Chris

#240867 09/19/2007 5:59 AM
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
no Chris, the wood was satin black earlier, then went to body color in late 50's or so, but if you're speaking of the flatdeck on that 1 ton, it's not a factory deck, prolly the truck was bought as "cab and chassis" and the deck added by the original owner - the factory flatdecks [called "stake body" or "platform body"] had nicely rounded metal edging with 'integral' stake pockets

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
#240868 09/19/2007 6:17 AM
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 141
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 141
Thanks Bill,
If I read my vin right. My truck came from Oakland, Ca, about 15 miles south of the Tamalpais Cemetery (previous owner). The bed does have integral stake pockets on the sides , but not on the rear. The corners of the bed are square, not rounded, so maybe the bed was made locally also, but not by GMC. So...I could paint the wood black, or green, or clear?
Thanks,
Chris

#240869 09/19/2007 3:05 PM
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 187
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 187
Welcome Mt.Tam Trucker, Rustoleum Hunter Green is cool but Bright. see here cool


'36 Tall cab Chevy 1.5 ton, '36 Low cab Chevy 1.5 ton, '53 GMC 2 ton, '51 GMC 640 5 ton, '47 Dodge 2 ton, '42 GMC CCKW 353 6X6.
#240870 09/19/2007 3:10 PM
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 141
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 141
Hi Clutchheadscrew,
Was the truck on the link that you provided painted with Rustoleum? Is there a shade of Rustoleum that is darker, more like the original paint?
Thanks,
Chris

#240871 09/19/2007 3:16 PM
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 187
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 187
Tam, thats good ole Hunter Green right out of the can with a brush! Add some black, you might get lucky. I'd reccomend a good automotive paint for repeatability. That's stew not screw although I like em' both. :whistle:


'36 Tall cab Chevy 1.5 ton, '36 Low cab Chevy 1.5 ton, '53 GMC 2 ton, '51 GMC 640 5 ton, '47 Dodge 2 ton, '42 GMC CCKW 353 6X6.
#240872 09/20/2007 3:52 AM
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,409
J
Former Workshop Owner
Former Workshop Owner
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,409
When I get to replacing the wood in my '41 bed, I am going use yellow pine if it's available, and paint it black.
My truck will be a driver, and not a show truck. Personal preference is what it's all about.

It's your truck, and you should do what you want. wink

John


~ J Lucas
2006 GMC Envoy 4.2 I6
2023 Ram 2500/Cumins 6.7 I6
2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Wife’s)
2002 Silverado 2500 Gas 6.0
1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1942 Chevy 1.5-Ton SWB
In the Gallery
My Flicker Photos!
#240873 09/20/2007 6:38 AM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 139
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 139
welcome mt tam trucker! i sure like that bolt of your's. it's got just the right "patina"
you'll have to submit a submission to the gallery

cheers


1947 Studebaker M15 on 76 GMC one ton dually chassis with 454 4 spd
1953 Chevrolet 1/2 ton p/u
1957 Oldsmobile 88 2dr hardtop
1959 B130 International one ton dually
#240874 09/20/2007 9:05 AM
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 70
G
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
G Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 70
Hey Chris nice looking truck . as far as the bed go's i thought the orginal bed wood was yellow pine and heres another link that you may find helpful www.oldgmctrucks.com later Earl

Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 8
M
New Guy
New Guy
M Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 8
i love this truck... just plain cool


Just Drive.. no trailer queens

Moderated by  Dusty53 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0