The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (DadsFirstPickup, Maybellene, Cletus1950, tclederman), 143 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,231
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 25
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 25
So I'v bin doing some work on my truck and it came time to start it up but when I went to it would not start all it does is spin the fan and make some nose( I can't describe it) so I thought I might get some one els insight on what it might be.

here is a vid of it V

http://s95.photobucket.com/albums/l124/Winston_T/?action=view&current=Test.flv

any help would be great
Thanks
-Tim

Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,216
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,216
No spark or no fuel. Check for spark by pulling a plug wire and setting it close to the block. Crank it over and whatch for a spark to jump to the block.
Check for fuel by looking down the carb and see if it has fuel coming out when you open the throttle. Do this with the key off incase it might backfire. Joe

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
Truck-Man,
that is a very cool video. It is also very useful. It sounded to me like during that last little bit, it fired and stopped it dead. If that is true, I would say it is too far advanced. Anyhow, my method would be to give it a few ounces of gas prime and then try it.

Good luck and thanks for the video!


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
Tim,

What a cool way to share your problem...a video! I don't know what kind of work you have been doing, but the first thought would be that you have knocked off a wire or might have some adjustment out of whack!. The audio sounds like it's getting absolutely no fire to the plugs.

If you can have someone crank it while you hold a plug wire near a ground, you can watch for a nice spark.

To prove it's not a fuel issue, look down the carburetor with a flashlight as you work the throttle...you should see the accelerator pump squirting fuel into the throat. Do you have gas in the tank?

Tell us what work you did that might have some bearing on the problem. I love the video, neat idea.

Stuart

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 707
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 707
I heard no fire. Therefore, no spark, no fuel or both.


1951 3800

Be the change you want to see.
-hotshoe
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,517
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,517
Wish i was that computerraly advanced to post something like that.
Marty

Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 25
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 25
thanks guys for the awesome info!
I looked in to and there was no spark so I'm looking in to that
maybe I'll post a vid of it runnin

Thanks
-Tim

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 272
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 272
If this were the 1950's, Id say to check for a potatoe stuck in the tailpipe.


1948 AD Pickup
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 23
Q
Apprentice
Apprentice
Q Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 23
You havent described the work you were doing on it and that would have helped . Check for gas at the carb and then check for spark at the plug . If there is no spark check the points and then the coil


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0