The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (dt235sd, Rick Brown, Jon G, 2-Ton), 170 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,238
Members48,437
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#231576 04/11/2007 2:43 AM
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 266
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 266
The Auto Fair is in Charlotte, NC this weekend and I have a question. When you all go to the swap meets, what do you carry your parts in? My red wagon isn't strong enough to carry the Borg-Warner R10-H/Q overdrive tranny I'm looking for. Dad suggested a hand truck and bungee cords, and a box for the small stuff.

This is sorta truck related since it deals with hunting down parts. Any suggestions are welcome.

#231577 04/11/2007 2:53 AM
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 11
6
Junior Member
Junior Member
6 Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 11
I see a lot of people using various shopping carts donated by Lowes or WalMart. I guess they forget to return them after shopping?
If you go this route, Lowes carts seem to be bigger and stronger.

#231578 04/11/2007 2:55 AM
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
I always just took my Radio Flyer wagon http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2788040480092261295rEYuuF never had an issue with anything we ever put in it. A hand truck will work ok for toting the tranny, take the wagon too for the other parts. Boxes get kind of cumbersome to carry after wandering the swap meet aisles for a couple of hours.
BTW you do NOT want to carry that tranny. When I got mine, we weren't smart enough to consider taking the wagon. Had to carry that trans about 3/4 mile to the car, uphill, in the rain. Took the wagon with us ever since, even for indoor meets.


Bill Burmeister
#231579 04/11/2007 2:56 AM
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 266
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 266
The infield of Lowe's Motor Speedway is gravel, I forgot to mention that. So ease of rolling is a plus when dealing with a 100 lb. transmission.

#231580 04/11/2007 3:00 AM
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
Something with 4 decent size wheels wil be best, smaller wheels will hang up on the gravel.


Bill Burmeister
#231581 04/11/2007 3:27 AM
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 166
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 166
One of THESE would be nice... my dad always used the old trusty red wagon.


SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

"Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem." -- Ronald Reagan

1966 Fleetside SWB Webshots
#231582 04/11/2007 3:37 AM
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 266
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 266
This is the wagon I've had since I was 2.

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/radioflyer_1941_556680

Dad said it wouldn't support something that large. I don't care to break it finding out if it will.

#231583 04/11/2007 3:57 AM
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 513
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 513
just carry as much as you can, and if you buy something big they generaly let you bring your truck in


1949 Chevy 3600 Flatbed all orginal
1964 gmc 4000
1973 gmc 6000
2005 chevy duramax 4x4
1994 chevy 1500
Trucks are GM and Tractors are Orange

"I don't measure a man's success by how high he climbs but how high he bounces when he hits bottom." - General George S. Patton
#231584 04/11/2007 4:59 AM
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
This is what I take Swap Meet Wagon .


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
#231585 04/11/2007 5:00 AM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Just "Stovebolt up" and throw it over your shoulder.

But seriously folks, they make wagons with the larger balloon tires now. The chinese tool places have them as well as other types of carts.

I wouldn't want you to ruin your nice little antique wagon. Or get grease on your cute little girlfriends clothes. grin


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
#231586 04/11/2007 5:07 AM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
Seen a bunch of enterprising young kids roaming the swap meets with wagons for hire. Charge you a few bucks to haul your stuff out to your car and they go back in and find another customer. More power to them!


1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Sedgewick"
In the Gallery
1989 Caprice
#231587 04/11/2007 1:28 PM
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 428
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 428
That's one of the things I like about the big meet in Iola. The local boy scout troop has some heavy wagons that they'll haul your big stuff all the way to your truck out in the back 40 for about $5. Like olblu says, I've also seen kids with wagons for hire at other meets.

Bob

#231588 04/11/2007 1:55 PM
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,076
Authorized Pest
Authorized Pest
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,076
Well, speaking of Iola, I just put this up in the Gallery.

Drool away from the keyboard.

grin

Peg


~ Peggy M
1949 Chevrolet 3804
"Charlie" - The Stovebolt Flagship
In the Gallery
"We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give." -- Winston Churchill
#231589 04/11/2007 2:14 PM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,061
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,061
Harbor Freight sells a rubber tired heavy duty wagon for about $100. Looks pretty hefty.


1946 1-ton Panel
1952 1-ton Comml. W/Grain Body
#231590 04/11/2007 5:30 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,158
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,158
We used to have a flatbed cart with little tires on it that we used for hauling heavy crap around when I worked for the electric company.

I'm sure that they make something similar, but with sides.


~#~#~#~#~
1946 Chevrolet 3600 - "Old Number Seven"

Cavalry's Here. Cavalry's a frightened guy with a rock, but it's here.
#231591 04/11/2007 6:14 PM
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,397
T
Crusty Old Sarge
Crusty Old Sarge
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,397
I bought a heavy garden wagon a Home Depot a couple of years ago, it's kind of bulky but it will carry an engine block. I like the idea brjr51 had about the boy scouts, our troop could do that to raise some extra funds. grin


~ Craig
1958 Viking 4400
"The Book of Thor"
Read the story in the DITY
1960 Chevrolet C10
"A Family Heirloom"
Follow the story in the DITY Gallery
'59 Apache 31, 327 V8 (0.030 over), Muncie M20 4 Speed, GM 10 Bolt Rear... long term project (30 years and counting)

If you don't like driving yourTruck, you won't drive yourTruck..| Living life in the SLOW lane
#231592 04/15/2007 2:54 AM
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 266
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 266
Thanks for your suggestions. I ended up taking my wagon and a hand truck. I also took a buddy to pull the hand truck. I found my transmission, its a B-W R10K-1 out of a 62 Chevy car. The only thing missing is the shift arms, which I can keep off of the 3-spd that I have now and the manual OD shift cable.

I know this question is probably out of place, but do any of you with 3spd w/ od's have a diagram how to wire it up to your truck?

I'll try to get some pictures put up as soon as I have a chance to borrow my brother's camera.


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0