The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Charles in CA, TrknGMC), 84 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,633
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#230371 03/27/2007 1:40 AM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 101
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 101
I am running a 350 in my 55. Latley I have had two spark plugs foul out when I realy floor it!
The weird thing is that both times the electrode is curled over and touching the porcelain insulator in the plug. It first happened on #5 plug, then #6 plug. The plugs are Bosch/Platinum plugs and are 2 yrs old.
Im wondering if my pistons are some how hitting my spark plugs. If so why now?

Roger


Roger
http://www.flickr.com/photos/45469713@N00/?saved=1
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 684
3
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
3 Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 684
Maybe carbon build up on pistons. Or REALLY loose rod bearings, but I think you would know the latter.


Life is like a roll of toilet paper, the nearer the end the faster it goes.




1949 Chevy 6400
1931 Chevy Firetruck



Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
I don't think the pistons could hit the plug, but I'll bet pre-ignition or severe detonation could knock them out of whack.

Stuart

Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 513
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 513
to clean the carbon off the pistons, i was told you can take a mixture on brake fiuld and water and pour down your carb. until the truck alomst dies, it will smoke, and stink to high heaven, but will remove carbon off the pistons. a friend of mine told me about this, said he had done it before, but i don't like the sound of it too much myself :confused:

but i would change plugs, put in some of the nice 3-4 prong plugs so if that helps, maybe get "shallower plugs" some that don't thread way way in


1949 Chevy 3600 Flatbed all orginal
1964 gmc 4000
1973 gmc 6000
2005 chevy duramax 4x4
1994 chevy 1500
Trucks are GM and Tractors are Orange

"I don't measure a man's success by how high he climbs but how high he bounces when he hits bottom." - General George S. Patton
#230375 03/27/2007 12:14 PM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 101
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 101
mikes 63-k10 that is my next step to get plugs with less threads on them............this just puzzles me why the truck is doing this now when I has ran fine for two yrs


Roger
http://www.flickr.com/photos/45469713@N00/?saved=1
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
I would try some different plugs but shure wouldn,t put in plugs with shorter threads. They would cause more problems. You can get plugs without the extended tip. The tip is recessed in the shell.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
To me it sounds like a mechanical hit from a valve.

Tighten up the plug in the plug hole. Mark the plug so you can tell the direction of the tip when it is installed. It is probably lined up just right so the valve hits it.

Try another plug that lines up differently.

Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,519
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,519
Add another spark plug washer to the ones that are "fouling"? Just a thought.

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
I've sprayed water into the carb of a running engine before to knock out the carbon. We'd have it running at high idle and squirt water into the carb as fast as we could and try to keep the engine running. It would puke out all kinds of carbon out of the exhauast. Make sure you do it outside though.

A possible problem it could create is chunks of carbon getting stuck in the valves, so I wouldn't try it on a whim, but if you definitely know you have a haevy carbon problem...you don't have much to loose.

I would check out the indexing of the plug first.

Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 483
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 483
Diesel it.Pour d in a hot engine slowley and keep the rpm's to keep it running for about 30 seconds.then pour enough so that engine stalls. Let set over night. Start next day and take for drive. Will be hard to start. Smoke great.

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 1,624
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 1,624
Rogpatt, let us know what fixes your problem. I got a coke riding on the answer.


Six volt guy living in a twelve volt world
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 513
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 513
Builder i didn't know water worked to do that, and Beaver 53 the diesel won't mess up your engine/ carb?


1949 Chevy 3600 Flatbed all orginal
1964 gmc 4000
1973 gmc 6000
2005 chevy duramax 4x4
1994 chevy 1500
Trucks are GM and Tractors are Orange

"I don't measure a man's success by how high he climbs but how high he bounces when he hits bottom." - General George S. Patton
#230383 03/29/2007 11:43 AM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 101
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 101
Everyone I ask says something is hitting the plug. But it has happened on both sides of the engine so I am not sure whats going on now!


Roger
http://www.flickr.com/photos/45469713@N00/?saved=1
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
It's the valves making contact with the end of the plug. Try indexing them as I stated above.

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 20
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 20
I'm w/ Builder's suggestion; seems like only a hit from a valve could bend the electrode to touch the porcelain. His indexing tip is the way to go to prove the theory w/ no pain & all gain.
tomo

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
I looked at a cut-away of the SBC and It sure doesn't look like the valve could hit the plug unless it (the plug) was about a inch too long. Seems like the insulator would be the first fatality in a direct hit. Interesting problem! smile

Stuart

#230387 03/29/2007 10:51 PM
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,029
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,029
It is interesting that the pistons of the two that failed are on the same crank throw. Have you worked on you carb and lost any parts? Things like nuts can pop back and forth between cylinders and then out the exhaust. How's your compression on #5 and #6 compare with the rest?

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 101
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 101
I will be working on trying to figure out why my plugs are fouling out this weekend and get back to you guys on monday


Roger
http://www.flickr.com/photos/45469713@N00/?saved=1
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
And what are the final results Rogpatt?

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 101
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 101
Sorry for the delay guys!
I ran my compression tester on each cylinder and they were fine. So I then repalced my expensive bosch plugs with cheap auto lights, adjusted my timing and the problem has not occured aqain. I did not feel comfortable pouring water down my carb. I have ran the truck hard a couple of times and so far so good.
Now can you guys look at my new post "Timing my Truck" and see if you can help me out there!


Roger
http://www.flickr.com/photos/45469713@N00/?saved=1
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 101
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 101
Look what I noticed when researching "Summit Racing Street & Strip Multi-Spark Digital CD Ignitions". I copied and pasted a portion of what was on the web site.

The capacitive discharge systems create the strongest spark possible at full voltage, with multiple sparks below 3,000 rpm to improve starting ability, idle quality, and throttle response, (((((while preventing plug fouling due to cylinder load-up))))))).


Roger
http://www.flickr.com/photos/45469713@N00/?saved=1
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,029
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,029
The bending of electodes is not considered "plug fouling", that is an entirely different thing.


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0