The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Cletus1950, Charles in CA, TrknGMC, UtahYork, dt235sd, Peggy M), 185 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,107
Posts1,056,221
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 18
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 18
I've had a heck of time getting the king pins out of my 57 3100. Over the course of several weeks I tried various types of penetrant with no luck. The k-pins were stuck in the axle so hard that my punch/drift shattered or bent when I tried beating them out. I even tried a solid 3/4 inch steel bar which mushroomed on the end where I was beating it. Those pins did not want to come out and I did not want to heat the axle.

Before I took them to a machine shop to have them pressed out I decided to give PB-Blaster a try. For a week I shot them every night and let them soak. This morning I was able to drive the old king pins out using a smaller diameter king pin that I removed on an earlier project. Took abut 15 minutes a side. Of course I did a victory shuffle across the garage to celebrate.

Seems to be good stuff.

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,464
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,464
I'm gonna use that stuff when I do mine. grin

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 445
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 445
Better stuff than PB is KROIL from Tenn.This will make ya belive in the real thing.Great stuff also . its the best Ive found.Give it a try


dan-pa
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,802
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,802
Ditto on the Kroil!

www.kanolabs.com

Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 443
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 443
I have never tried Kroil, but if it works better than Blaster it has to be great stuff.


1957 Chevrolet 1/2-ton Stepside LB in the Gallery
My Photobucket shots

The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." - John Stuart Mill (1806 - 1873)

Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 176
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 176
I love the PB blaster that's the best we have around here. love to get my hands on that KROIL. never seen it around here.


1970 C50 dump! saving orphans from the CRUSHER
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
Isn't Jack Daniels made in Tennessee too..I wonder how that would work? smile


Stuart

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
I have used both, and have both on my shop work table but I do prefer the Kroil and have for years. Pehaps the difference is that Kroil is nothing but PENETRATING oil while PB blaster has something about "lubricating" on listed on the can I have. Pehaps this is why I give Kroil the edge over PB? Someone here on the bolt did a test not long ago on some bolts and also said Kroil was a tat better. Oh well, if it works use it. I might add that Kroil is expensive!!


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,802
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,802
No, No, No! Jack Daniel's is the busted-knuckle painkiller! One of Kroil's major customers is the US government. It was available in the USAF supply system worldwide 30 years ago when I was a GI, and probably long before that. Good stuff!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 641
3
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
3 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 641
thing i like about pb is its only 3 bucks a can but the gas runs out before all the pbs out of the can wish they would fix that

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,276
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,276
Please don't waste the Jack. I used Airo-Kroil when working aviation. Great stuff even had some success using it on guild stainless.


The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys.
Grant from Roy, Washington
1956 6100 Chevy Dump Truck in the Gallery
1964 GMC Drump Truck in the Gallery
user
http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/56Taskforce/slideshow/
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Been using Kroil for 30 years, in fact the spray can I had was thirty old and still had pressure in it. When I started on my 3604 in September I bought an assortment from them. I now have enough Kroil to last me for another 90 years!
It goes a long way and that pans out to inexpensive in my book.
I don't know what it has in it but it really works great. If you give it a few soakings and let it set a spell, those rusted nuts just spin right off. I have disassembled almost all of my 56 year old truck’s undercarriage this winter and not broke or twisted off one nut or bolt.
There was always a big can of “Liquid Wrench” around the shop when I was growing up but it do not hold a candle to Kroil. I've never tried PB Blaster, but, after all who needs it when you can, "Kroil it, don't spoil it".
getting your hands on it is just as easy as ordering it direct online, that's how i got mine and they are always running package deals.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,997
S
Big Bolt Forum Co-moderator
Big Bolt Forum Co-moderator
S Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,997
I have used PB Blaster too. Great stuff. I use it to get out of bed every morning........ I get stuck harder than any king pin, especially when it's still dark when I get up. Haven't tried the Kroil, but have heard it was really good.


A day without laughter is a day wasted- Charlie Chaplin
When wrestling a grizzly bear, you have to keep at it until the bear gets tired, not when you get tired.

1948 Chevy 2-Ton
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 13
1
Junior Member
Junior Member
1 Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 13
PB Blaster is Great... I'll try Kroil...but it will be hard to beat PB...anywho...my2cents


If it's not a Chevy, its just a four letter word... you choose which one.
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Denny, it hasn't been quite 30 years yet but I"m counting. The last company I worked for, over 15 years, did some trials of their own and they used Kroil exclusively. I have two quart bottles of it that I use to fill a small spray bottle I keep on my work bench. I hope I live to use it all up. I'll be 114 years old by then. Whoopeee.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Just got a flyer from Kroil today and they have a sale on: Titan "2 for 1" Deal. 2industrial Sixe 16.5 oz. cans for $16.00 S&H included.
1-866-774-9541 or Email: [email protected]
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 91
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 91
Congrates on the pins. I gave up and took mine to a shop. While using unreasonable amounts of heat, they could not remove them with their 20 ton press. As I heared someone else comment "If the pins detech a weak spirit, they will not budge." I ended up using a 50 ton press,lots of PB blaster, and wrecked my nerves but the job is done.

Never used the Kroil but I do like PB. I will never buy WD40 or Liquid wrench again.


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0