The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Steelonsteel, Hotrod Lincoln), 136 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,261
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
B
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
Guys, I am thinking about using a electric fuel pump on my 350 SBC. What are the pros and cons on this issue?


~Jim
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
I like a mechanical one if it fits your application.
I think that they are simple and very trouble free.
I think electric ones take a simple job and complicate it. With mechanical if the engine turns it pumps, there are only two check valves and a diaphragm, if it does not work it is easy to troubleshoot.
I have never had a problem with a mechanical fuel pump when using good gas and a filter before it.
I have never used an electric one, so my opinion is one sided.
I would only consider an electric one if the mechanical could not deliver the required amount of fuel or pressure.


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 313
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 313
I recently had to replace an electric pump in my car, and it cost about 10 times more than the mechanical one in my truck.

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 26
M
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 26
If your stuffing the 350 into a small engine compartment then electric is the way to go...you'll save a little clearance. If not then I'd stick with the mechanical fuel pump. They are reliable, cheap, and easy to get on and off without lifting or crawling under the truck.

Of course if the 350 is fuel injected you'll have to go with electric in-tank fuel pump.

Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
And as always remember if you get in an accident the electric will keep pumping gas as long as it has power, while a mech will only pump it if the engines turning.


My 1953 Chevrolet
1947.1 Gallery
1972 C-10 1/2 Ton & 1972 C-30 1 Ton
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
B
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
D__n good advice guys! I figure I'll be using a mechanical unless I run out of room.


~Jim
Joined: Jan 1970
Posts: 365
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Jan 1970
Posts: 365
I like the electric pump for vehicles that are not used every day. Turn on the key, let the pump build pressure, and the carb is full of gas. The engine starts much quicker with much less strain on the starter and battery.

An electric pump could also be used as a theft-deterrent--a hidden power switch to the pump would greatly cut down on the distance a thief could drive a stovebolt--assuming they could figure out the stomp starter.


Remember 9-11-01--God Bless the USA
JUSTICE, not REVENGE, will prevail

1951 Chevy 1/2-ton Pickup truck

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0