Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,122 Posts1,056,332 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 581 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 581 | I'm curious to find out what a fair price is for a used '54-58 pressurised 235. I have an ad for an overhualed '55 235 with 10-20k on it for the sum of $750. It looks like it comes with the bellhousing, carb, etc. mostly complete. I'm looking to the future and would like to upgrade to a 235 from the 216. I haven't had much time to scan ebay or other swap meets to see what the going rate is. Any ideas? | | | | | Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 738 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 738 | $750 isn't too bad if the motor is really what they say. Can the seller proove when it was last overhauled, reciepts or something like that? Who did the rebuild, again reciepts or something. Ebay may not be too useful because of the distances usually involved. I would try swap meets and the like, also check the stovebolt.com for sale areas. I have seen a few in the freebies sections too. If you are looking into the distant future I will have a 235 that runs great out of a 61 up for grabs in a year or so I think. I'm gonna swap to a 292 or something like that I think. Anyways, good luck.
Kyle
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton My Machine | | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 581 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 581 | Fort Knox,I haven't talked to the engine owner but his friend stated that the engine was rebuilt 10-20,000 miles ago. Is that a lot of mileage to have for these older trucks? Most of the trucks I've seen are "out to pasture" with only 40k farm miles. I'm not sure what the actual miles on this engine would be. This friend claims the gentlemen restores old cars and is good at it. Are you anywhere near Cocolalla?
Kyle | | | | | Joined: Apr 2006 Posts: 20 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2006 Posts: 20 | 235's are pretty durable 20k it should still have a lot of usefulness still left 750 wouldnt be bad if you can have proof of the rebuild | | | | | | Anonymous Unregistered | | Anonymous Unregistered | I went to a local junk yard and they wanted $300.00 for a 235 that didn't run and more (I didn't ask how much)for one that did.Last year I saw one rebuilt that was complete and running(he started it up and it sounded great),he even had everything painted and pretty for $1200.00.It also came with a tranny. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 581 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 581 | Phil.......Yeah, that's the one. What did he tell you? | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 18 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 18 | About the same info you received. Said it has been sitting about a year.
I am gunshy as I already bought a "good running engine" elsewhere that turns out to have a knock and of course a rear main leak.
It looks okay... not sure | | | | | Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 338 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 338 | It's really tough to tell from pictures, but it looks clean.
I'd say it's worth it.
If you can check it in person one easy thing to do is see if you can spin it easily by hand. If it's a struggle then that means it's not too loose and is a good bet.
I recently swapped out a 216 for a 235 and have been very happy. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 469 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 469 | Find the guy that rebuilt the 235 but wanted a 350 and you can buy it for a good price. I've bought two in the last two years for about $200. Most of the time you get new carbs clutch pressure plates and other goodies. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 90 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 90 | I have a 250 bored 040 with all new parts. You can contact me at [email protected]I'd like to get around $500.00 for it. I live in Lowry City, Mo. keep on trukin' | | | | | Joined: Apr 2001 Posts: 162 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2001 Posts: 162 | I bought a real nice one out of a 57 truck at the Springfield, MO swap for $200.00. I bought it from someone that I knew and trusted from my home town. It needs a starter, flywheel, 216 bellhousing for my 53, and alternator/generator if you have extras. It's clean and turns over freely but I havn't started it. http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y133/orange54/FirstTry022-1.jpg It was replaced with a Lt1 350.
53 3100 1929 Ford Roadster Pickup 1934 Ford Pickup 68 Plymouth Satellite RR Clone 2 Door My Fleet
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 738 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 738 | I am not sure where Coclala is I live in Hayden. Actually I am sort of in between Coeur d"alene and Hayden. I think that looks like a good buy I might try to lowball the seller though. Offer then $600 and see what they say. I always look at Craigslist stuff as a barter. That looks like a good swap motor though. Good luck. I think that 20k is not a lot of miles. I am not sure how many my 235 has on it but it keeps on chugging. I know that it has well over 20k though, so I would think that if it is a competent rebuild and the motor runs well then it is a good deal.
Kyle
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton My Machine | | | | | Joined: Sep 2005 Posts: 191 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2005 Posts: 191 | I've got one bought, that I have to go get at a local yard, it's out of a 57 truck supposed to run, is complete except for clutch and pressuer plate for $100.
I plan on putting it in my old 51. Good luck whatever you decide. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 2,031 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 2,031 | to re-build it i was told $1400.00 to $2400.00
that's way to much for my blood
so i bought a re-built (600 miles on the clock)out of a wrecked 67 C20 292ci motor for $600.00 for my 51
Jim & Caroline The highway is for gamblers, better use your good sense." Gooday-that's my 1¢ answer due to the lousy economy ~ cause I ain't got - no . mo . doe Every Shaver | Now Can Snore | Six More Minutes | Than Before ... | Half A Pound for Half a Dollar | Spread On Thin | Above the Collar || BURMA-SHAVE
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 96 Member | | Member Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 96 | I bought a running '57 235 out of a car for $350 with the tranmission, bell housing, starter, and generator. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2006 Posts: 15 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Apr 2006 Posts: 15 | put word out to classic chev guys (55-57) it seems like they all want v=8's got a good one for free just to haul it away he put in a 502 it seems that most go for 200.00 to 300.00 here in minnesota | | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 581 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 581 | Wow! thanks for all the feedback. I've decided to pass on the one I mentioned. I recently talked to my local mechanic and he's put me on to a couple of local guys that have some laying around. I'll have to check them out yet. But this gives me a good idea what to expect and what may be a fair price.
I've also been told that I can get one rebuilt by Jasper for $1500. That's a little steep for me plus I'd kind of like to rebuild it myself. Thanks for all the feedback guys! I appreciate it.
Kyle | | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 442 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 442 | Guy here in Tx, been doing it 18 yrs, quoted me $750 to build my 235, and about 150 more if it needs pistons, pretty resonable | | | | | Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 141 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 141 | Hey Workmaster, If you want to drive down to NW Arkansas, I'll give you a 235 six. It's been sitting around outside for a couple of years, now. If you want the 4-in-the-floor tranny with it, you can have it for a hundred bucks. E-mail: [email protected]Regards, | | | | | Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 1,317 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 1,317 | Jasper just quoted me $2300. for a "Remanufactured" 235. The least expensive "remanufactured" one I've found is from RECON at $1274.88 with a $175.00 core delivered to Advanced Auto....1 year/15K warranty. This is for a long block with block casting #4467,8307, w/head 6848, crank 1488. This is for a hydraulic lifter engine with side motor mount pads designated for a 1958 Biscayne sedan. 145 HP/ 8.5 comp/ratio. Can't say for sure if this engine could be drilled in front for the 2 bolt, single front motor mount.
I sure would like to get some input from one of the stovebolt experts to see if this would slip into my 54 truck with me drilling the front mount bolt holes. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | Someone else will have to answer the front mount question but I guess is that you can get it to work as you describe. The rear mounts is an easier situation. Use your 1954 clutch housing on the remanufactured automobile engine and your rear mounts (on the clutch housing) will be as good as original. | | |
| |