The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Phak1, Greg_H, WICruiser, tclederman), 84 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,117
Posts1,056,296
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#217828 10/17/2006 6:19 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 581
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 581
I'm curious to find out what a fair price is for a used '54-58 pressurised 235. I have an ad for an overhualed '55 235 with 10-20k on it for the sum of $750. It looks like it comes with the bellhousing, carb, etc. mostly complete. I'm looking to the future and would like to upgrade to a 235 from the 216. I haven't had much time to scan ebay or other swap meets to see what the going rate is. Any ideas?


1941 G506
More

1946 3800
Pic
More

1946 3600
Pic
More

1924 Ford Model T Fordor
#217829 10/17/2006 6:30 PM
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 738
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 738
$750 isn't too bad if the motor is really what they say. Can the seller proove when it was last overhauled, reciepts or something like that? Who did the rebuild, again reciepts or something. Ebay may not be too useful because of the distances usually involved. I would try swap meets and the like, also check the stovebolt.com for sale areas. I have seen a few in the freebies sections too. If you are looking into the distant future I will have a 235 that runs great out of a 61 up for grabs in a year or so I think. I'm gonna swap to a 292 or something like that I think. Anyways, good luck.

Kyle


"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton

My Machine
#217830 10/17/2006 6:42 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 581
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 581
Fort Knox,I haven't talked to the engine owner but his friend stated that the engine was rebuilt 10-20,000 miles ago. Is that a lot of mileage to have for these older trucks? Most of the trucks I've seen are "out to pasture" with only 40k farm miles. I'm not sure what the actual miles on this engine would be. This friend claims the gentlemen restores old cars and is good at it. Are you anywhere near Cocolalla?

Kyle


1941 G506
More

1946 3800
Pic
More

1946 3600
Pic
More

1924 Ford Model T Fordor
#217831 10/17/2006 7:41 PM
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 20
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 20
235's are pretty durable 20k it should still have a lot of usefulness still left 750 wouldnt be bad if you can have proof of the rebuild

#217832 10/17/2006 9:48 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I went to a local junk yard and they wanted $300.00 for a 235 that didn't run and more (I didn't ask how much)for one that did.Last year I saw one rebuilt that was complete and running(he started it up and it sounded great),he even had everything painted and pretty for $1200.00.It also came with a tranny.

#217833 10/17/2006 10:50 PM
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 18
P
Apprentice
Apprentice
P Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 18
Here is the ad with photos... I think. I contact them also, passed on it.

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/pts/211730365.html

#217834 10/18/2006 1:11 AM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 581
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 581
Phil.......Yeah, that's the one. What did he tell you?


1941 G506
More

1946 3800
Pic
More

1946 3600
Pic
More

1924 Ford Model T Fordor
#217835 10/18/2006 2:39 AM
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 18
P
Apprentice
Apprentice
P Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 18
About the same info you received. Said it has been sitting about a year.

I am gunshy as I already bought a "good running engine" elsewhere that turns out to have a knock and of course a rear main leak.

It looks okay... not sure

#217836 10/18/2006 3:24 AM
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 338
I
'Bolter
'Bolter
I Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 338
It's really tough to tell from pictures, but it looks clean.

I'd say it's worth it.

If you can check it in person one easy thing to do is see if you can spin it easily by hand. If it's a struggle then that means it's not too loose and is a good bet.

I recently swapped out a 216 for a 235 and have been very happy.

#217837 10/18/2006 3:41 AM
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 469
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 469
Find the guy that rebuilt the 235 but wanted a 350 and you can buy it for a good price. I've bought two in the last two years for about $200. Most of the time you get new carbs clutch pressure plates and other goodies.

#217838 10/18/2006 2:08 PM
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 90
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 90
I have a 250 bored 040 with all new parts. You can contact me at [email protected]
I'd like to get around $500.00 for it. I live in Lowry City, Mo.
keep on trukin'

#217839 10/18/2006 7:44 PM
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 162
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 162
I bought a real nice one out of a 57 truck at the Springfield, MO swap for $200.00. I bought it from someone that I knew and trusted from my home town. It needs a starter, flywheel, 216 bellhousing for my 53, and alternator/generator if you have extras. It's clean and turns over freely but I havn't started it.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y133/orange54/FirstTry022-1.jpg

It was replaced with a Lt1 350.


53 3100
1929 Ford Roadster Pickup
1934 Ford Pickup
68 Plymouth Satellite RR Clone 2 Door
My Fleet
#217840 10/18/2006 9:09 PM
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 738
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 738
I am not sure where Coclala is I live in Hayden. Actually I am sort of in between Coeur d"alene and Hayden. I think that looks like a good buy I might try to lowball the seller though. Offer then $600 and see what they say. I always look at Craigslist stuff as a barter. That looks like a good swap motor though. Good luck. I think that 20k is not a lot of miles. I am not sure how many my 235 has on it but it keeps on chugging. I know that it has well over 20k though, so I would think that if it is a competent rebuild and the motor runs well then it is a good deal.

Kyle


"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton

My Machine
#217841 10/19/2006 11:10 PM
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 191
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 191
I've got one bought, that I have to go get at a local yard, it's out of a 57 truck supposed to run, is complete except for clutch and pressuer plate for $100.

I plan on putting it in my old 51. Good luck whatever you decide.

#217842 10/20/2006 12:09 AM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
to re-build it
i was told $1400.00 to $2400.00

that's way to much for my blood

so i bought a re-built (600 miles on the clock)out of a wrecked 67 C20 292ci motor for $600.00 for my 51


Jim & Caroline
The highway is for gamblers, better use your good sense."
Gooday-that's my 1¢ answer due to the lousy economy ~ cause I ain't got - no . mo . doe

Every Shaver | Now Can Snore | Six More Minutes | Than Before ... | Half A Pound for Half a Dollar | Spread On Thin | Above the Collar || BURMA-SHAVE
#217843 10/20/2006 12:37 AM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 96
L
Member
Member
L Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 96
I bought a running '57 235 out of a car for $350 with the tranmission, bell housing, starter, and generator.


http://www.leonmack.com/
'48 Chevy 1/2 ton
'66 Volvo 122S 2-door
'68 Volvo 220
#217844 10/21/2006 10:33 PM
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 15
H
New Guy
New Guy
H Offline
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 15
put word out to classic chev guys (55-57) it seems like they all want v=8's got a good one for free just to haul it away he put in a 502 it seems that most go for 200.00 to 300.00 here in minnesota

#217845 10/22/2006 1:24 AM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 581
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 581
Wow! thanks for all the feedback. I've decided to pass on the one I mentioned. I recently talked to my local mechanic and he's put me on to a couple of local guys that have some laying around. I'll have to check them out yet. But this gives me a good idea what to expect and what may be a fair price.

I've also been told that I can get one rebuilt by Jasper for $1500. That's a little steep for me plus I'd kind of like to rebuild it myself. Thanks for all the feedback guys! I appreciate it.

Kyle


1941 G506
More

1946 3800
Pic
More

1946 3600
Pic
More

1924 Ford Model T Fordor
#217846 10/22/2006 5:13 AM
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 442
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 442
Guy here in Tx, been doing it 18 yrs, quoted me $750 to build my 235, and about 150 more if it needs pistons, pretty resonable

#217847 10/30/2006 10:31 PM
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 141
A
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
A Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 141
Hey Workmaster,

If you want to drive down to NW Arkansas, I'll give you a 235 six. It's been sitting around outside for a couple of years, now. If you want the 4-in-the-floor tranny with it, you can have it for a hundred bucks.

E-mail: [email protected]


Regards,

#217848 10/30/2006 10:57 PM
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,317
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,317
Jasper just quoted me $2300. for a "Remanufactured" 235. The least expensive "remanufactured" one I've found is from RECON at $1274.88 with a $175.00 core delivered to Advanced Auto....1 year/15K warranty. This is for a long block with block casting #4467,8307, w/head 6848, crank 1488. This is for a hydraulic lifter engine with side motor mount pads designated for a 1958 Biscayne sedan. 145 HP/ 8.5 comp/ratio. Can't say for sure if this engine could be drilled in front for the 2 bolt, single front motor mount.

I sure would like to get some input from one of the stovebolt experts to see if this would slip into my 54 truck with me drilling the front mount bolt holes.


Webshot "Tips and tricks" and "Shoebox" Photo Albums

EXPERIENCE is the best teacher...but it gives the test first...and the lesson afterwards.

"What this generation tolerates...the next will embrace"
#217849 10/31/2006 12:57 AM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Someone else will have to answer the front mount question but I guess is that you can get it to work as you describe. The rear mounts is an easier situation. Use your 1954 clutch housing on the remanufactured automobile engine and your rear mounts (on the clutch housing) will be as good as original.


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0