| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,124 Posts1,056,334 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 24 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 24 | Hello All, I just pulled a 51 Chevy 3/4 ton outa a field this last weekend. The truck was bought new by my great uncle so it has been in my family for its life. This is the reason that while looking through the truck I found the Key in the ignition. It's got a 235 out of a 56 Chevy in, I was told that it was running when parked. tonight I got a 6 volt battery and dropped it in, turned the key, and nothing. Well I didn't expect anything, however I did get running lights, and a few of my gauges moved. Well I just wanted to tell a few more people how excited I am to have this. In a few month I'll also pull out a 49 GMC 3/4 ton flatbed, also with the key in the ignition. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 688 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 688 | Hi 51Farm, WAY TO GO there I bet you will get that Bolt crankin real soon.
Cliff59 | | | | | Joined: Sep 2005 Posts: 310 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2005 Posts: 310 | He Congratulations another one saved and on the road again soon. You already know what I'm asking for I guess ? Pictures, we always wanna see pictures Shop the Tech Tips, some good advice there and if you can't find it there, ask the guys, they know everything.(almost) Welcome to the Bolt, grab a chair and start reading CU Richard | | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 | A 51 won't start or crank by just turning the key unless it was modified to do so. Is the old start pedal still on the floor next to the gas pedal? Scott | | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 990 Member | | Member Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 990 | If its been a few years, you might pull the spark plugs out and put a bit of oil in each of the cylinders. Wait a few days, and then see if you can bar the thing over. I did that with my 47 jeep and it felt like it had some rough spots so I kept at it till all was smooth. Been running fine ever since. Jeep is easy to do though as it was designed to use a crank if need be. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 688 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 688 | Irwin, My brother-in-law has a 54 jeep and she is a bute. that thing takes a beating and keeps on Jeeping.
I remember when he told me about that cranking feature. I would not have a problem going to Alaska in that Jeep. (it could do it!)
Cliff59 | | | | | Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 24 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 24 | Hey guys thanks, to all the help.
Yes it has the pedal. I also know that is is contacting the button on top of the starter. My next steep is to try to rebuild the starter.
I would like to crank it by a crank bolt, like a SBC, however I can't seem to see any bolt on the dampener, any help there?
I also made a gallery with a few pictures, don't know if it's up yet or not. | | |
| |
| |