The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
8 members (Maybellene, tclederman, RoadsScholar, DadsFirstPickup, baldeagle, MickeyP, Stovebolt48, 1 invisible), 198 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,231
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#206801 04/27/2006 8:55 PM
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 328
H
Member
Member
H Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 328
Okay, I've got a few questions before I put on my dual ex. this summer.

Right now I have a V8, with the Y-pipe. It then heads down to a cat and a glass-pack muffler.

If I'm gonna add dual ex., I hear that I'll have to put a cat and muffler on each one, which I don't mind doing, but can I re-use my cat and muffler from the current one, on one of the new pipes?


GO RANGERS grin
Photos Updated so check them out!
#206802 04/27/2006 9:27 PM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
You have a catylatic converter on a Bolt?

#206803 04/27/2006 9:53 PM
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
I've got a cat in my garage. grin

#206804 04/27/2006 10:27 PM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 510
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 510
Changing from a y-pipe/cat single exhaust to duals can be a problem if you have emissions inspection. It's a violation of federal EPA "regulation" (read "laws we didn't get any voice in") to change the number of cats from the factory configuration.

That means that it's technically illegal to remove a cat or to add one.

If you live in an area where there's no emission testing, it's not a problem. But if you have to pass a visual inspection....well, it could be a real big problem.

With that said, if I were to live in an area without smog testing, I'd throw headers on the truck (I'm assuming this is on the 76 or so truck with the V8, right?), then just have custom tailpipes made up with mufflers and no cats. I know, this is totally outside the letter and spirit of the law, but I'd do it anyway. It's what I did with my 80 El Camino when I dropped a 406 "twin-four" into it to replace the ailing V6. That's been about 7 years ago and I have to get it smog tested every year, but they don't do a visual on that year vehicle. I just have to get it to run clean enough to pass the sniffer test. That's enough trouble in itself.

Back to your original question about using the current cat and muffler: it's almost impossible to say, because I have no idea what you have on there now. Catalytic converters are built to handle a certain amount of exhaust gas and depend on temperature build-up to operate properly. So if you have 2 stock cats instead of 1, then each is going to get approximately half of its intended exhaust gas flow. They may never get fully up to operating temperature and not do much good as far as decreasing emissions.

I also have no idea what muffler is already on there, but it's pretty unusual to go from a single to a dual exhaust without installing new mufflers. I don't know what you're looking for in the way of exhaust tone so I can't recommend anything. I'm kind of an old-skool guy and I like the sound of glasspacks. But not everybody does. So the end result as far as sound will have to be up to you.

I'm sure this has caused more confusion than clarity, but I think it needed to be stated. You may get some better answers about the specifics of your area and the laws you have to conform to by seeking out a forum that deals more with later-model trucks (which are still considered by many to be "old trucks.")

Good luck,

#206805 04/28/2006 2:10 AM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 324
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 324
i had a nice newer chevy six with a cat and no muffler. it sounded real nice on the highway, but not too loud for the neighbors. The rumble at idle was fine also. But i thought a stovebolt was the six engine, not the truck body.


"It ain't a truck if you can't hose out the cab."
#206806 04/28/2006 6:05 AM
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 703
J
Jed Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 703
Hardy,

Have you considered saving some money and frustration and putting a "Cat-Back" dual exhaust system on the truck?

I put a system on my 3/4-ton Ford (w/460) and it sounds real good, didn't screw with any emissions laws, and increased the power close to what a full/true dual exhaust system would have.

#206807 04/28/2006 5:33 PM
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 21
T
Junior Member
Junior Member
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 21
Guess this is a modern truck--I think that Cheyasylum is right--good way to get into trouble. I'd be real careful frown


Taco

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0