Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
3 members (Phak1, PEB56er, 1 invisible),
164
guests, and
3
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,090 Posts1,056,382 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 22 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 22 | Not sure if I'm posting this in the right place topic wise...
Got my speedometer working and according to it,my gas mileage is in the range of about 6-8 mpg. I have changed spark plugs, distributor cap & wires, carb rebuilt, new fuel line from pump to carb, and an oil change about a month ago.
I have plans to move my tank outta the cab and run new lines this summer, but not sure if there's a remedy for this beast in the mean time.
C-20, Straight 6 235, and I'm not heavy on the pedal. I might be running a bit rich, but there's no telling cause I'm a know-nothing about performance stuff. I just drive em'. Any input is appreciated. You guys rock!!
- Will | | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 Ex Hall Monitor | | Ex Hall Monitor Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 | Unless you have a leak somewhere my first guess (and it's a guess) would be to check the accuracy of your odometer. If it's ticking off the miles too slowly it'll look like you're getting crap for mileage. I assume your county roads are one mile apart. Go for a drive and check the odometer to the mile markers. If you drive a mile and the odometer only shows 7 or 8 tenths you found your problem.
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet. The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion. Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 22 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 22 | Tiny,
Thanks for the input, I'll check it out on the way home from work. If that ain't it, what would you suggest I do? Scrap it? The tank that is.
- Will | | | | | Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 70 Member | | Member Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 70 | what kind of gas milliage shold a235 with a 3 on tree get in a 62 burb
bill
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 22 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 22 | More than what I'm gettin at this point. I would figure a burb should pull about 12-15 mpg, but what do I know? I can't even get my beast's up without help. Frustration...don't let it get the best of you. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 703 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 703 | Will,
Not knowing what kind of gearing you have in the rear-end or tranny, it would be kind of hard to guesstimate what kind of mileage you should expect.
I can tell you my trucks, one 235, one 216, and one 250 I-6's, all with original 4 spds, and 4:11 rear ends will barely see 10 mpg on a good day. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 70 Member | | Member Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 70 | i dont even know what rear end gears i have its a 3 on the tree and all orginal(for now)
bill
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2005 Posts: 254 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2005 Posts: 254 | Jed, i think you should betting getting better then 10mpg with an inline 6 even if your rear gears are 4.11s my now stripped 1978 Chevy Suburban got around 8 with my reg. somewhat on the pedal and hotroadin driving but if i cruised on the highway and not alot of town driving i almost got 12 and thats with a 350 V-8 with 4 barrel 4.11 gears stock 4 spd 1:1 4th gear 4 in. lift and 32 in tires so something ain't quite right with your sixes i think but then again i don't really know either Nate | | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 266 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 266 | My '66 C-10 with a 250, 3-spd, and a 3.73 can usually gets about 11 to 15, It usually depends on where I am and how I'm driving. The gear ratio in your rear-end makes a big difference on the gas mileage that you will get.
Drew -------------------- '66 C-10 stepside | | | | | Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 1,756 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 1,756 | I get 10 from my modified 350 and brag about it | | | | | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 164 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 164 | Check your speedo over several miles. Even if the Speedometer is accurate, the odometer may not be. These old ones tend to stick. I've seen them run fine through the tenths, but take several seconds to click over the mile...or the tenths and the miles are fine, but the "tens" stick (etc.) | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 507 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 507 | Will, my 78 C-20 350 with th400 and 4:11 gear gets about 10 mpg. It does not matter if it is up hill down hill loaded or empty. Looking to change to a 3:73 gear to improve mileage.
"If it ain't Steel it ain't Real" "Earth the insane aslyum for the rest of the Universe" 41 1/2-ton, a work in progress 68 Shortbed stepside 327/325hp/700R4
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 153 Member | | Member Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 153 | i get 12 on a good day on my 1/2 ton, 53 gmc, 228, 1 bbl, 4:10 4speed and am happy as can be. the rebuilt zenith did the trick!
Overland Blue, 1953 GMC 1/2T, 100-22, 228/1bbl, 4sp/4.10 6v, shortbed/fender side/5-window.
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 363 Member | | Member Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 363 | my 39 1.5 ton with 235, crash box 4 speed, 6.17 gears and 33 inch tires gets 10-12 mpg around town with a 55 mph top speed | | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 | How fast are you driving it. If you are going a little too fast you're on the fine line of the power valve in the carb and it's dumping fuel. Slow down about 5-10 mph for a week and see if there's a major difference in mpg. If so, a gear change will fix the problem. You may have a bad power valve also, Scott | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 2,832 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 2,832 | Probably 12 or so is about the best to hope for anything with a 4.11 or near gearing. I used an old three speed overdrive and bumped it up to 16-18(depends on load and driving) and am happy as a cat in the milk barn. The nice part is in OD the final ratio is 2.88 since the old Borgwarner OD's are 30%, and you still have the underdrive 4.11's for trailer toting or heavy loads. It's a direct bolt in just needing a lockout cable and a couple wires--didn't use the kickdown switch. Did have to reconfigure the shifter rods a tad but the driveshaft fit. The price of the old 3 spd OD's has come way down because everyone is going to the 400R4 or other automatic OD's or to the T5 trans.
Evan
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 926 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 926 | My '62 one ton duallie with a 355,mild cam,Q-jet,4 speed,4.10 gears and 31" diam. tires will do about 11 mpg at 60 mph. Of course,last time I was able to chart it,I was fighting a 40 mph headwind and sideways rain half the way. On a nice day,I could probably get 12-13 mpg. Speed | | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,636 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,636 | My 58 Chevy 1/2 ton with 3 speed trans and 261 -6 get about 11 mpg on the hwy. Doesn't matter about load. You get that if you are empty or pulling a trailer with a vehicle on it. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 4,095 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 4,095 | the last time i was able to check, my speedo is unhooked, i got 9.5 in town and 12.5 in highway. i have a 235 with dual carbs and fenton headers, 2.73 rearend and 15" tires. the odometer has to be off because of the tires and the rearend. ron
Ron, The Computer Greek I love therefore I am.1954 3100 Chevy truckIn the Gallery 2017 Buick Encore See more pix1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 | My '55 1st GMC Suburban gets 12 to 14. 270, SM420 and 3.08 gears in the rear.
I know I have a fuel leak and have suspected that some tuning might get be a little better milleage but I'd be surprised if it ever got much better.
1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more... It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble... | | | | | Joined: Apr 2001 Posts: 439 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2001 Posts: 439 | How tall are your rear wheels/tires? Lots of highway driving? or backroads and city driving? Good Luck. Colin | | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 990 Member | | Member Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 990 | I have 80 series 16s on a 69 292 1bbl in my 59 1 ton and on a trip to Oklahoma and back I got around 17 mpg and that with 4.10 gears. Went around 50-55 the whole time - didn't push it. And that was with a load in the truck on the way back. (i was surprised too)
My speeedo's broke, and my tach doesn't work, but I did have a GPS that should prove very accurate. That's how I knew speed and distance. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 103 Member | | Member Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 103 | This month's Street Rodder has an article on tuning for today's gasoline. The subject was a 427 small block F**d, and the owner didn't care about mileage -- only driveability and power. However, the article contained a lot of good info and steps that apply to any engine. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 47 Member | | Member Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 47 | My 64 with a 292 gets about 12. I am thinking about a t5 conversion.
Heres to us and those like us, theres darn few left.
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 22 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 22 | Originally posted by Jed: Will,
Not knowing what kind of gearing you have in the rear-end or tranny, it would be kind of hard to guesstimate what kind of mileage you should expect.
I can tell you my trucks, one 235, one 216, and one 250 I-6's, all with original 4 spds, and 4:11 rear ends will barely see 10 mpg on a good day. Jed, I have the 3 speed on the column with the Eaton rear axle, I have no idea what the gear ratio is, something pretty low though, that old truck will climb a tree and pull down a house with little effort. Thanks, -Will | | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 22 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 22 | Originally posted by Colin's Classic Haulers: How tall are your rear wheels/tires? Lots of highway driving? or backroads and city driving? Good Luck. Colin Colin, I am running 235/80/15's on the Red Devil.... | | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 22 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 22 | Originally posted by 48bigtrucks: How fast are you driving it. If you are going a little too fast you're on the fine line of the power valve in the carb and it's dumping fuel. Slow down about 5-10 mph for a week and see if there's a major difference in mpg. If so, a gear change will fix the problem. You may have a bad power valve also, Scott Scott, What is a power valve? I be a dummy when it comes to specifics. Please use small words and type slowly  I'm a dunce, but learning as I go. Thanks. - Will | | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 | It's an enrichment valve inside of some carbs to add fuel to the engine at higher RPM's to prevent a overly lean condition. Of coarse, your carb would have to have one for this to apply. I personally don't know what carbs do and don't other than the Holleys, so maybe some carb guy can chime in here, Scott | | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 34 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 34 | Everyone's favorite, the Rochester B, has a power valve. On the B, it's not directly linked to RPM. It kicks in when the vacuum drops below 5" Hg.
For the record, I'm _not_ a carb guy. I just happen to have been reading the Rochester service manual today.
Jon 1942 Chevy 3/4-ton Special
I don't need instructions. I have a hammer.
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 38 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 38 | I looked through my manual and it tells me that my transmission is geared at 3:91. Does this help anything? Certainly not my wallet  but it is a step in the right direction. Does anyone think that a re-rebuild of my carb would be worth the effort? I'd like to try and keep it stock, but if it is not worth the effort, what would be a good carb to use in lieu of my Rochester B? I ran my truck until I got to a 1/4 tank yesterday and according to my odometer, I put 69 miles on it, using 3/4 tank of fuel. So with a 20 gallon tank, that's 15 gallons used. That leaves me with 4.9 mpg, if I did my math correctly. This seems on the low side. Maybe I should adjust my idle? Could I be dumping fuel into the carb and the fuel not being burned efficiently?
"Remember Who You Are And What You Represent"
"Being responsible sometimes means [censored] people off" - General Colin Powell
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 192 Member | | Member Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 192 | try lucas fuel additive,,,excellent stuff!!! increase power and mileage... i am a believer and will use it forever! | | | | | Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 49 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 49 | Food for thought....
My 2004 chevy 2500HD gets 13.4 mpg on a good day. This is the "latest greatest smog-friendly engine" with all the cat converters, smog pumps. etc.
Im getting AWEFUL gas milage. I wonder what it would get if you stripped all the emmission B.S. from it at let it RUN! Im Guessing double mpgs....... wouldn't that be 1/2 emissions?????
BTW it is an awesome motor! | | | | | Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 2,384 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 2,384 | I had a B on my 230 in my 64, & got 16.5-18.5mph. I kept it under 65 mph, stock w/HEI w/34 degrees total advance, Taylor plug wires(try them, I was amazed), 3.73 gears & 3 speed & light foot. But I had it apart about 4-5 times before I was satisfied the power valve was not sticking-polishing it & the bore w/000 steel wool did the trick. brian | | |
| |