| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,086 Posts1,056,331 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 227 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 227 | I hope firstly that I am not flogging a dead horse on this. Secondly I hope that im not making this more complicated than it really is.
ok. i have a 63 c10. the front brakes are stock manual. I have all components from a 71 c10. spindles, calipers, rotors, hubs, booster, m/c and prop valve.
This is my plan: I want to get new drop spindles and new calipers. i want to go with 73 for these parts because suspension and steering parts are cheaper.
my questions: 1. what ball joints will mate the 73 spindles to my 63 control arms? 2. can I use my 71 rotors with 73 spindles and 73 calipers? 3. any info or advice on mounting the 71 booster/mc/prop valve setup in my 63? 4. can I use my existing brake lines or will I need to bend new ones?
Thanks in avance and sorry if im sounding dumb I just want to wrap my head around this before I start taking things apart. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 990 Member | | Member Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 990 | To answer some of those questions, you can do a few quick things. Try looking up the rotors for a 71 and a 73 truck. If its the same part number from an on-line supplier - then they'll work. You could also try the same thing on ball joings. See if the 63 truck and the 73 truck use the same part. If not, then try going to a parts story that has both and see what the differences are. Autozone.com or another might have pictures of the things on line. That will at least get you started.
I don't think its a question of dead horse, its that people are probably reluctant to give you opinions that could be wrong. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 | From what I've read, it would be easier to swap out the whole front suspension as an assembly, it's just a matter of drilling a few bolt holes into the frame. Food for thought, Scott | | | | | Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 198 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 198 | Troy.. look at the 'young guy needs help' discussion. Talk there about swapping the entire '71 front end over to get disks and keep the 6 lug wheels.
Attitude - The difference between an adventure and an ordeal! Deja Moo - The feeling you've heard this bull**** before! '63 Chev Fleetside Longbox 'Rusto-rod' 'Big Red' '69 or'70 or ? Mantaray DuneBuggy
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 90 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 90 | Troy, ya might try this web site to get more insight on your swap. lots of good tech info www.nolimit.net www.classicperform.com keep on trukin' resto44 | | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 14 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 14 | a mechanic i know here in town got his disc setup from a '78 van. he used the spindles, calipers, rotors and used the upper ball joints for a '78 chevy on his existing upper control arms. he said the lowers could stay the same. he also used the power steering from that van and used the steering components fron the van also. he said he had to drill a couple holes; i think for the idler arm. his name is john and he works at richard and 'da boys in lewisville. i believe they're in the book. | | |
| |
| |