Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
8 members (Donf, Goach2, Otto Skorzeny, cmayna, Joe H, Wally / Montana, Gdads51, 1 invisible),
89
guests, and
0
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,118 Posts1,056,307 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#19416 04/05/2004 3:37 PM | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,839 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,839 | Just realized that when I opened my package of new points, shouldn't there had been a small vial of grease to apply to the distributor shaft where the points things rubs against? I installed the new points without this grease. Better I go out and fix it?
Craig My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear My truck ....... Respect The Rust If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
| | |
#19417 04/05/2004 4:22 PM | Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 1,897 Member | | Member Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 1,897 | Did the set of points have the felt wick on it or just the plastic rubbing block?
There is enough good in the worst of us and enough bad in the best of us that it does not behoove any of us to criticize the rest of us. - - Be yourself. If you are ever lost, It will be much easier to find yourself if you know who you are!
| | |
#19418 04/05/2004 4:31 PM | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,805 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,805 | Even if the points have the felt wiper, it won't hurt to put a little high-temp grease on it. Don't overdo it, just a little goes a long way. Lubriplate lithium-base grease works well, or even disk brake rated wheel bearing grease will do in a pinch. Regular chassis grease probably isn't a good idea, as it can be thrown off the cam, and can make a big mess inside the housing. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | |
#19419 04/05/2004 8:19 PM | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,839 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,839 | Plastic block I believe. Tonight when I get home, I'll do a "little dab will do ya".
Trivial question time: Does anyone know what commercial the phrase "a little dab will do ya" came from?
Craig My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear My truck ....... Respect The Rust If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
| | |
#19420 04/05/2004 8:29 PM | Joined: Mar 2000 Posts: 73 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Mar 2000 Posts: 73 | I think that was "Brill-Cream" (spelling?) . :p | | |
#19421 04/05/2004 9:00 PM | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,839 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,839 | Only a Californian would guess it correctly.....
Craig My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear My truck ....... Respect The Rust If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
| | |
#19422 04/05/2004 9:00 PM | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | | | |
#19423 04/06/2004 3:56 PM | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,839 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,839 | Tim, I am impressed. What on earth are you also storing away?
Craig My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear My truck ....... Respect The Rust If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
| | |
#19424 04/06/2004 8:16 PM | Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 587 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 587 | How many of you guys actually remember Brylcream? Or even better, actually used it??? I did when I was a lot younger, and had hair. | | |
#19425 04/07/2004 12:52 AM | Joined: Jul 2003 Posts: 141 Member | | Member Joined: Jul 2003 Posts: 141 | I remember using on a regular basis .... of course, I had hair then ... early 60's. Helped keep that ducktail in place.
shoeless | | |
#19426 04/07/2004 12:47 PM | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 428 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 428 | I've still got some but I preferred Vitalis. | | |
#19427 04/07/2004 2:57 PM | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 124 Member | | Member Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 124 | And for those of us who were youngsters in those days...
'Greasy Kid Stuff' was the hot item - came with a crew-cut hair brush built into the cap. | | |
#19428 04/07/2004 3:26 PM | Joined: Jan 2003 Posts: 687 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2003 Posts: 687 | HollyWood Burr, Pineapple, Flat Top, Duck Tail, jeesh I'm feeling sooooo old. popcorn The Truth is Out There (I suspose shaving with a straight edge and the old mug doesn't count either) Jeesh maws where is my rocking chair!! | | |
| |