The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Hotrod Lincoln, jmoore, NorCal52Suburban, Donf), 183 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,105
Posts1,056,208
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#186056 07/26/2005 3:07 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
what's the difference between AND what do they stand for ????????
SB
SBC
BB
when it comes to trucks, or motors ???


Jim & Caroline
The highway is for gamblers, better use your good sense."
Gooday-that's my 1¢ answer due to the lousy economy ~ cause I ain't got - no . mo . doe

Every Shaver | Now Can Snore | Six More Minutes | Than Before ... | Half A Pound for Half a Dollar | Spread On Thin | Above the Collar || BURMA-SHAVE
#186057 07/26/2005 3:41 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Typically they stand for:
SB - Small Block
SBC - Small Block Chevy
BB - Big Block (BBC would be Big block Chevy)

Again typcially the small block designation pertains to engines with standard cubic inch displacement below 400 and the big block designation is for 400 and above although there are a couple of minor exceptions such as the Chevy 402 which can be either a SB or a BB I believe depending on the year and the chevy 396 which is considered a BB.

Other manufacturers such as Mopar and Ford fall in the same ranges, again with some minor exceptions.

#186058 07/26/2005 5:29 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
Thanks Houston
that clears it up


Jim & Caroline
The highway is for gamblers, better use your good sense."
Gooday-that's my 1¢ answer due to the lousy economy ~ cause I ain't got - no . mo . doe

Every Shaver | Now Can Snore | Six More Minutes | Than Before ... | Half A Pound for Half a Dollar | Spread On Thin | Above the Collar || BURMA-SHAVE
#186059 07/26/2005 5:39 PM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 510
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 510
My understading on the 400/402 deal is that the "real" 400 is a smallblock (I have 3 of them) and that the bigblock 396 was "labeled" as a 400 in some applications when the 400 motor was defined as GM's largest powerplant.

The 402 came about as a machining error at the assembly plant necessitated the re-boring of many blocks to .030 over, thus creating a 402....but many of them were sold as wither 396 or 400s. What a mess.

One other use I've seen to differentiate is that SB seems to be used occasionally to represent StoveBolt, SBC for smallblock and BBC for big block.

Sorry, Caroline...if it was clear before, I'm afraid that I just muddied the waters.

#186060 07/26/2005 8:00 PM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 310
8
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
8 Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 310
Not to muddle things up more, but what about the 348 and 366? They are big blocks too, right?


-Tim
'51 Chevy 3104 w/'56 235, 848 Head, HEI Dizzy, Corvette Cam, Split Manifold and Dual Carter YF's
#186061 07/26/2005 8:10 PM
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 158
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 158
Fab,

If I'm thinking about the same thing that you are -- the big engine available in the late 50s, early 60s, I think THAT engine was neither fish nor fowl. Not an SBC, but not a BBC either. The internal pics I've seen of that certainly don't look like the BBCs that I remember.

Brian

#186062 07/26/2005 8:37 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
To my understanding the "small block" terminology began with the Chevy 265 V8.

#186063 07/26/2005 10:14 PM
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 31
5
Junior Member
Junior Member
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 31
The term 'small block' refers to the actual outside dimensions of the block not the cubic inch displacement. The chevy 350 smallblock has the same outside dimensions as the 327 or even the 400 small block. There are many different CID's when it comes to the Chevy smallblock. To many to list.
The 'big block' is built different. Much bigger outside dimensions even though it can still come in a 350 CID. The smallblock is smaller in overall dimensions and weight. This is good because less weight and size with the same CID. Translated means more power to weight ratio. And of course, tons of performance parts--Cheap!


I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
#186064 07/27/2005 12:52 AM
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,029
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,029
I believe the 348/409 was called a WBC for Wide Block, but of course W in a F**d means Windsor.

#186065 07/27/2005 2:08 AM
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 59
I
'Bolter
'Bolter
I Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 59
the 348/409 is called a "W" block because of the shape of the valve covers

there are a select few parts that are interchangeble with the small block and other parts that are common with the big block but very few

rh

#186066 07/27/2005 2:38 AM
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 637
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 637
When I worked at the Chev. assembly plant in Van Nuys in 1958 the engine was referred to as the W-3 because of the shape of the valve covers.


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0