Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
0 members (),
117
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,089 Posts1,056,141 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 1995 Posts: 1,159 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 1995 Posts: 1,159 | Okie doke. We received a good idea from a Bolter and we figured we'd better post it to get some responses.
"I wonder if you could start a thread asking about what hosts (for images) are being used and why they like or dislike them? Then maybe look at the recommended ones and form an opinion of your own and maybe even form a link to a couple so newbies can get started on the right foot using pictures and links. I've been a member for the better part of a year and I'm just now getting into the picture posting phase. (Oh to be as gifted as Norse)"
I think some of this topic has been discussed willy nilly or buried in other threads - especially when someone is trying to post a picture somewhere.
But now -- let's give it the shake down and see what we come up with.
We would like to recommend some -- you'll have to tell us what, which and why.
Thank youuuuuuuuu.
Peg
~ One of many.
| | | | | Joined: May 2004 Posts: 96 Member | | Member Joined: May 2004 Posts: 96 | Hi Peg, I use webshots. It's free and easy. Thanks for the great forums. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2002 Posts: 272 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2002 Posts: 272 | I agree, webshots is free and easy. They have a free downloadable picture upload program that lets you quickly and easily load several pics at a time. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2004 Posts: 158 Member | | Member Joined: Jan 2004 Posts: 158 | Webshots here, always been easy to use.
- Shane
- Shane (ChevyToughRebel) 2 Trucks; -1955 3/4 Ton Chevy -1979 3/4 Ton Custom Deluxe 20 4x4 1955 Second Series 3600 GED = Git Er Done
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 3,458 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 3,458 | I prefer my personal storage area provided by Comcast, my cable internet provider. I have no restrictions on what I can put up and no advertisements or bandwidth limitations as long as the storage space is not exceeded.
Paint & Body Shop moderator A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 185 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 185 | I'm with Josiah. Nearly all of my images are hosted by my provider: iPowerWeb . (I don't own or administer the server, only the web interface and web pages) The truth is, most folks already have web space available. It's usually part of one's ISP (internet service provider) contract. Basic service typically includes web server space (place for photos and web pages) and at least one email address. In almost all cases you can link to your images (through the forum, for example) without concerning yourself with popup ads, advertising, or 'broken' links.
You might be surprised to find that your ISP even provides a web interface (such as Webshots upload webpage) that makes it easy for you to upload/host (display) images. Contact your ISP using their website or by phone for more information.It might be worth a look. Good luck. AJ | | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 | I use Imageshack.us. It doesn't download to your computer and types out all the different types of URL's for any given application. If I can use it, anyone can, Scott | | | | | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 1,904 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2001 Posts: 1,904 | I used to use Webshots and had no complaints whatsoever. But now a fellow and I have a website for the old late 1950's Sande Ace runabout from western Washington and use it to post pics. (Do not click here unless you're interested in this old boat and the old Mercury outboards that powered it.) 1948 3/4-Ton 5-Window Flatbed Chevrolet 34 Years. Now with a '61 261, 848 head, Rochester Monojet carb, SM420 4-speed, 4.10 rear, dual reservoir MC, Bendix up front, 235/85R16 tires, 12-volt w/alternator, electric wipers and a modern radio in the glove box.
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 | I use OldSub.com.
As a one-time dotcom'r I just can't give up running my own web server so I have a fast connection and several servers don't want to mess with someone else's setup.
But my answer doesn't really help anyone else.
1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more... It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble... | | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 | I found that Webshots was really slow to load pictures on. Once it "messed up" my old computer until I uninstalled it. May have been my computer, may have been me. I also didn't like all of that extra stuff they attached to their site. Scott | | | | | Joined: Jan 2004 Posts: 158 Member | | Member Joined: Jan 2004 Posts: 158 | The reason that your pictures uploaded slow may be because you have a slow upload speed, sure you have a fast download speed, but you can only upload so fast. For example I can download up to 400kbps, and only upload 30kbps max.
- Shane (ChevyToughRebel) 2 Trucks; -1955 3/4 Ton Chevy -1979 3/4 Ton Custom Deluxe 20 4x4 1955 Second Series 3600 GED = Git Er Done
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 | Bringing this up so Peg can get some answers, Scott | | | | | Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 198 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 198 | I've used webshots in the past, but this time when I tried to post a picture after reading the 'update your profile' post it wouldn;t work. It's set on public viewing. The problem seems to be the address of the picture is too long for the box allotted for the address. What gives?
Attitude - The difference between an adventure and an ordeal! Deja Moo - The feeling you've heard this bull**** before! '63 Chev Fleetside Longbox 'Rusto-rod' 'Big Red' '69 or'70 or ? Mantaray DuneBuggy
| | | | | Joined: Nov 1995 Posts: 1,159 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 1995 Posts: 1,159 | Freedo and Chevy Tough -- I notice that there is no picture in your profile. Did you both try the URL from your web shots site?
Didn't someone say (somewhere) that some picture hosts images WON'T display an image on another site?
Help me out folks. We are trying to find something to recommend to folks that will work.
Norse's intel is correct about having free space with your ISP. I wonder how many have an ISP or are using a dial-up with something like hotmail.
48B - we'll check out yours as soon as we can.
Thanks, Peg
~ One of many.
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 268 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 268 | I use WebShots even thou I have my own web site. I get 100mb of storage on my ISP, the web site is already using 85+ mb of that storage now. Picture can take up WebSpace, and is your new to the web your pics will always be either too small or too BIG. once one learns how to edit photos you can control the file size. WebShots will let you have a FREE account of 10 albums with a max of 24 photos in each, which is 240 photos. I have 9 e-mail addresses I used there so I have more then one WebShots album, you will find them linked at the bottom of the table of links on the main page of my website, 6066 GMC Trucks . | | | | | Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 4,095 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 4,095 | i am not much into the new tech, but i going to get a digital camera soon. is there a way to put the picture on the computer and manipulate the image,ie. lower, chop, different wheel combos, and the like? ron
Ron, The Computer Greek I love therefore I am.1954 3100 Chevy truckIn the Gallery 2017 Buick Encore See more pix1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 185 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 185 | Originally posted by Stovebolt Staff: Didn't someone say (somewhere) that some picture hosts images WON'T display an image on another site? Yes, this is correct. Many "free" hosts attempt to block linking to images. These image hosting sites have to generate revenue somehow. Adware, cookies, and on-site advertising are all means of getting information to/from potential consumers. It's far more difficult for sites to reach these consumers if they don't actually go to the website where the image is located. If you don't go to the image hosting site: -you don't see advertisements in banners... -you don't have to login to see the images (provide info)... -you don't have to accept a cookie... -you are less likely to be enticed by signup offers that require software installation that just might include adware... -etc. Do yourself a favour. If you have space with your ISP -- use it. For the reasons listed above you can expect fewer free services to allow image linking. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 | That's why I like Imageshack, it's what they do. They make the links/URL for you so you CAN post them to other sites. They even break them down to different types of links, depending on your application. All I've ever used was the "forum" URL so I'm not all that familiar with the other types they have, Scott | | | | | Joined: May 2004 Posts: 96 Member | | Member Joined: May 2004 Posts: 96 | Hey YOU b OLD  When you buy your digital it should come with imaging software. A trick I use on occasion, is to email an image to myself. If you are using Winblows XP it allows you to choose the image size to send. Hope this helps. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2000 Posts: 179 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2000 Posts: 179 | I'm with Norse on this one. With a dsl connection, my isp provides web space. I'll never go back to "free" web hosting. It either stops being free after a while, crams too much of their content in, or just goes belly up and vanishes one day. Very few of my isp's customers even use their space. It's worked out well for hosting my web pages and most of the images reliably. My son wasn't using his space so he lets me use it to host my auction pics. (Nice link Wally. 18 of my CI is tied up in three old Mercs, '59 Mk78, '61 800, '63 850)
Joe McNeel
http://mcneelnet.com/~jmcneel/59.html
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 | Hey Norse, I wish you would change your picture, that guy scares me everytime I see him. You should put a picture of Arnold or someone like that up there. Scott | | | | | Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 578 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 578 | Ten minutes ago I signed onto Webshots for the first time. I very easily posted two pics. See "Stovebolts in the Fla Keys" It was quick and easy.
"Happiness equals reality minus expectations" - Tom Magliozzi
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 198 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 198 | OK... can someone please tell me why I can't get my profile pic to show!!! profile pic Only works for me if I'm logged in.. if not logged in I get an error message.. This is getting really frustrating!!! 
Attitude - The difference between an adventure and an ordeal! Deja Moo - The feeling you've heard this bull**** before! '63 Chev Fleetside Longbox 'Rusto-rod' 'Big Red' '69 or'70 or ? Mantaray DuneBuggy
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 336 Member | | Member Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 336 | Hey Freedo, it looks like you are using Shaw cable as your ISP. You should have free web hosting with that - 10 MB of space you can use. I created a folder called "misc" in my Shaw web space, put my pix in there and used that link in my profile. Send me a note if you need help.
Gord 1954 1/2 ton 235 4 speed
| | |
| |