The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Peggy M, Deegs53, moparguy), 59 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,129
Posts1,056,700
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 299
K
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
K Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 299
When I install my V8/12 volt starter in my 53, can I still keep my old ignition switch and floor starter?

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
the v8 bellhousing doesn't have the provisions for the floor button linkage to mount to - it's partly on the bell housing of the 6cyl, as well as the starter, which also means different ign sw, or an added push button for the start function - you might be able to rig it somehow, but I don't think it'd be easy

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 299
K
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
K Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 299
Thanks Bill, I don't know much about these pre 55's,I've only owned 55 and newer stuff till now.PS, that 58 of yours looks great.
Lothar

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,989
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,989
On my '47, the people who put the V8 in it installed a push button right next to the ignition switch. Works great!


Rich
1947 Loadmaster
1947 Chev. Loadmaster
1959 Chev. Viking 40

Life is short--eat dessert first!
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
Go to your local tractor supply store and get a push-button starter solenoid and mount it on your truck where the original floor starter will engage it,
Scott


Scott Ward

2 1948 1.5-ton Loadmasters
The red one and The snow pusher
1 1950 3100
1 1955.1 Chevy 6500
1 1954 Chevy 6500 2-Ton
1 1955 1st Series COE 5700
1 1963 K20 (454)
1 1964 C10 (350)
1 1951 1.5-ton Dump Truck
1953 and a 1956 Ford F800

Raising a teenager is like trying to nail Jello to a tree!
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
For Red 58 - Bill could you get in touch with me by email or whatever way. Thanks.

Bill 0lblu


1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Sedgewick"
In the Gallery
1989 Caprice
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 332
G
Big Bolt Shop Curmudgeon
Big Bolt Shop Curmudgeon
G Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 332
Sounds like you are planning to change from a 6 volt mechanical shift starter drive to a 12 volt solenoid shift starter drive.

They are fundamentally different.

If you swap out the starter motor, make sure the new starter drive has the same pinion gear as the old starter drive. If you don't, we will probably be answering questions about chewed up teeth on the flywheel and/or starter drive.

If you can somehow mount the mechanical linkage for the foot stomper starter on the bell housing, I suppose you could try mounting the old pushbutton contactor mounted on the top of the old starter motor to the top of the new starter motor.

If you do that, DON'T connect the battery cable to the switch any more. The positive battery cable would connect directly to the solenoid. The "new" switch on the starter motor would be the pushbutton, operated by the foot stomper, to complete the low amperage connection to the solenoid.

Just be sure you have good spring returns on the foot stomper linkage and the push button the linkage engages so that the mechanism disengages and doesn't mash the pushbutton when you don't want it to, otherwise when you hit a bump, you could get a surprise as the solenoid attempts to engage the starter motor at speed!


Drivin' down a 2 lane country road in a stovebolt.....cowboy, it don't get no better than this!

1946 1-1/2 ton Chevy
"Ol Blue", or "THE BIG 'UN"
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 299
K
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
K Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 299
Thanks guys for your input.What I am actually thinking about is installing a V8-automatic, starter and all.I was hoping to retain the original way of starting up the truck with the floor button.I'd like to feel like I'm driving an old truck,yet have modern running gear and safety equiptment.

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 299
K
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
K Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 299
Hey olblu49(William),I see you are still trying to sell your blue truck,I hope it works out for you.I would love to have a truck that nice,but I want to customize one .And although I do not have a problem doing that with a non stock truck, I could never allow myself to do it to a truck as nice as yours.I've been looking for a decent truck like yours for a while, and haven't found one with the stuff I'd like it to have yet.In the meantime ,I've been plugging away at my 53 and have finally completed welding up all the rusty sections in the cab.After you sell yours, are you going to do another one?
Lothar


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0