| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,128 Posts1,056,660 Members48,450 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 89 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2006 Posts: 89 | Ok, I'm about ready to delve into my truck. I really need some sort of a manual to help out. Everything I have seen is for pickups. Was there a manual made for the big trucks? Second, I want to switch over to a "modern" coil. How do you get the top wire OFF of the coil and which wires go where on the new coil? I also need a wire diagram! Thanks! | | | | | Joined: Aug 2002 Posts: 221 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Aug 2002 Posts: 221 | Hi Dachsund! You should be able to find a shop manual from most of the shop's that sell parts for old vehicles. I have a shop manual--1942-1946--that includes the bigger trucks. You can also get a 'specification' booklet from the Vintage dept at GM. (sorry I haven't got any contact info for the US but I'm sure other's on here will know) That's a good looking truck you have. Sort of what mine looked like when I first got it. http://www.geocities.com/jarge46/46_Chev.html Good luck with the project and keep us all updated. Cheers, George | | | | | Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 1,867 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 1,867 | Heres where you can look at the manual. This manual has the wiring diagrams in it. Check the Links section at the top for suppliers to get manuals and such. http://chevy.tocmp.com/1942_47shop/index.htm The coil wires should be held on with 2 nuts and the plug wire should just pull off. The powered wire goes to the + side of the coil and the - side goes to the distributor. Wow, 100$ for her, good deal! Jeff | | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 89 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2006 Posts: 89 | The coil in this is the older style coil where the distributor cap wire comes out of the bottom of the coil. The top wire has a funky cap on it that won't come off! The wire under this "cap" goes back to the dash. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 684 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 684 | The wire under the funky cap is your hot or positive wire from the ignition | | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,223 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,223 | You need to refer to your shop manual on exactly how to release the locking tab under the cap. The coil has to be unbolted from the block so you can twist it (after releasing the lock tab)about a 32nd of a turn which releases it allowing you to get at the wire. This electro-lock set-up was designed as a safety to prevent someone from "hot wiring" the truck. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,144 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,144 | I had 1 with that set up. didn't realize it was a theft deterent | | |
| |
| |