The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (KEVINSKI, Mr Crosswrench, klhansen, Peggy M, 1 invisible), 138 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,133
Posts1,056,395
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 52
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 52
Hi everyone!!! I am about to replace the door glass on my 1950 Chev 1/2 ton. What size is the clutch head screws that are in the rail that the regulator rolls in? I need to purchase the screwdriver and don’t know what size they are. I tried to grind an old flat head screwdriver to fit, but it didn’t quite work and I really don’t want to strip the heads. Thanks for any replies given, Darcy

Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
darcy32171 Those screwdrivers come in a set that you get at Jim Carter truck parts or other vendors. Finding single screwdrivers is just by chance,I have several I have just picked up over the years. The set made for Advanced design truck people should have what you need in it. Good Luck !!

Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,076
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,076
Buy a set with assorted sizes. You'll need more than just that one size. Here's a couple options.
Clutch head set for ratchet handle
Clutch head screwdriver set
I also have a set that fits in a 1/4" impact driver for those really stubborn ones. Light impact can help get the rusted ones out.
52Carl built a tool that uses an air hammer and a lever to loosen the stubborn ones.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,079
Authorized Pest
Authorized Pest
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,079
I always wondered about this ... but HERE is an old Tech Tip called:

Clutch head screw removal


Does this help???


~ Peggy M
1949 Chevrolet 3804
"Charlie" - The Stovebolt Flagship
In the Gallery
"We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give." -- Winston Churchill
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,063
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,063
Also, putting the screwdriver in the screw (the right one, not just any one!) and tapping on the end of the screwdriver a few times with a hammer can help break any rust up and help them come out easier. That and penetrating oil!!


Mike
1955 Chevy 6400 ex-flatbed (no bed now!) sold September 2023
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1958 Chevy 6400 flatbed W/dump
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1959 Chevy Suburban Owned for almost 20 years, Daily Driver -- sold May 2016
In the Stovebolt Gallery

Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,049
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,049
When I started I bought every kind I could find. Socket and hex. Long and short. Don't waste your time with cheep ones. I found that the most important thing is to clean out the socket as best as possible. A sharp scribe and a stainless brush on a dremel work good for me. The hex ones work good in a cordless impact or an air hammer with the cool hex attachment handle thingy. You can buy any handle to put the hex bits in. JMHO.


Old enough to know better, too young to resist.
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 52
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 52
I’ve been soaking these for about a month now.😂

Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 52
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 52
Thank you! Just bought the set for the ratchet. Should arrive by the end of the month

Joined: Nov 2020
Posts: 788
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2020
Posts: 788
Soaking with what?

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
...sometimes it helps to try tighten a little then loosen them.
Soak with sili-kroil. Little pricey but cheap compared to what it saves you. See you around the garage forums.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
A 50:50 mix of acetone and automatic transmission fluid works very well too. None of the penetrating oils I’ve tried have worked as well or as fast.

Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,841
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,841
The above 50:50 mix works wonders.


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
W
Socket Breaker
Socket Breaker
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
The assorted sizes is the way to go, very handy.

-Woog

Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,242
Herder of Cats, Goats, and Sheep (moderator)
Herder of Cats, Goats, and Sheep (moderator)
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,242
Originally Posted by cmayna
The above 50:50 mix works wonders.

How do you actually get it to mix? I have tried to make the mixture and as soon as I stop stirring it the two separate again.


From the Rocky Mountains?
Check in with the RM Bolters!
HiPo Forum Moderator

1958 Task Force Truck
"Frank" gets a new lease on life
Follow in the DITY Gallery
1959 3200 Task Force
The Ballad of Enkidu
The Saga in the DITY Gallery ~ and the story continues
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
How do you actually get it to mix? I have tried to make the mixture and as soon as I stop stirring it the two separate again.[/quote]

I’ve not had that problem. Plain ordinary NAPA auto supply automatic transmission fluid and acetone brought at a local hardware store have been used. I mix and keep it in a small glass jar with a lid. An old baby food jar was handy, so it was used.

The ATF is the real stuff, not a synthetic blend. Could that be a factor? Another might be the vessel used to mix and store? My guess is at least some plastics might react to some of those?

Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,831
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,831
That's weird. I just mixed up a batch on Saturday to loosen some badly rusted bolts holding my mom's cast iron patio umbrella stand together.

It mixed up just fine like it always does. I wonder if different ATF makes a difference? I used Type F on Saturday but I usually have Dexron around here and they both do fine.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,242
Herder of Cats, Goats, and Sheep (moderator)
Herder of Cats, Goats, and Sheep (moderator)
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,242
I had a random bottle of ATF that didn't match any of my vehicles, so I have been using that. I am not entirely sure what kind it is.

I will get some plain-jane stuff and try again.


From the Rocky Mountains?
Check in with the RM Bolters!
HiPo Forum Moderator

1958 Task Force Truck
"Frank" gets a new lease on life
Follow in the DITY Gallery
1959 3200 Task Force
The Ballad of Enkidu
The Saga in the DITY Gallery ~ and the story continues
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,831
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,831
That's funny. I can't imagine what would be in ATF that would react differently. The guys at my AAMCO place told me there is virtually no difference in fluids that the transmission is going to notice.

Interestingly, Ford and Cadillac both used Type A fluid in the 1950s and 1960s.

When Type A fluid was more or less discontinued, Cadillac went to Dexron and Ford went to Type F. Yet, today, you won't get any Cadillac people to put Type F in a Hydramatic transmission or a Ford guy to use Dexron in a C-4. Why not? They both were originally designed to use the same fluid, Type A.

AAMCO dude told me they use Mercon V in virtually all their rebuilds.

And how about the old timers who said that no automatic transmission ever shifted right after 1972 when whale oil was banned as a friction modifier!


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,841
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,841
I use Parts Master’s DEX / MERC ATF, along with some acetone, 50/50. Here’s a sample which I shooked the bottle a couple hours ago. Never had a problem with it separating. Of course if you happen to have a can of Pentron hiding up in your auto cabinet.......
Attachments
IMG_0291.jpeg (140.77 KB, 65 downloads)


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
This thread has gotten way off track. ohwell


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,918
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,918
I have to agree with Justhorsenround.

Since “Darcy” hasn’t come back to post since the change in the discussion to what to use for dealing with seized hardware, I think this thread has run its course.

Leaving the thread open for Darcy to come back and let us know how the clutch head drivers helped with removal. Anything posted unrelated to the clutch head drivers/tools will force me to lock the thread.

Appreciate everyone’s understanding. thumbs_up

Dan


~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,841
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,841
Sorry for the distraction. Back to the subject....As suggested by others, just get a clutch head screw driver set, for there are other sized clutch head screws on your truck. Tons of suppliers have them.


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 52
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 52
I was able to get all the passenger side ones out and replaced with modern ones. The drivers side only had two in it and they are stripped. I am going to pull the glass since it is getting replaced anyhow and it will make life easier trying to get the stripped ones out.

Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,918
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,918
Thanks for coming back and letting us know how things worked out.

Maybe sometime in the future you can come back and post some pictures of your truck. I don’t recall seeing any and you know we love to see them, in whatever stage of build they might be. 😁

Dan


~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0