The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
9 members (55shaker, 1955 1 Series, BC59, 3800GUY, RaNfLaS, tclederman, Otto Skorzeny, wilbur53, FAST55), 156 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,104
Posts1,056,201
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#1501758 05/22/2023 7:19 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
Found in a field about 30 miles away in Alabama.




Attachments
IMG_1739.jpeg (559.16 KB, 679 downloads)
Pulled from out in a field. Not running and no door windows
IMG_1749.jpeg (265.31 KB, 669 downloads)
IMG_1782.jpeg (283.76 KB, 662 downloads)
IMG_1750.jpeg (319.67 KB, 665 downloads)
IMG_1742.jpeg (244.43 KB, 661 downloads)
IMG_1745.jpeg (247 KB, 668 downloads)

Last edited by Phak1; 04/19/2025 11:59 AM. Reason: Added as found picture into text

1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1501759 05/22/2023 7:24 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
This is what I’ve fixed so far
Attachments
IMG_1802.jpeg (143.19 KB, 655 downloads)
IMG_1796.jpeg (166.26 KB, 646 downloads)
IMG_0033.jpeg (396.46 KB, 650 downloads)
IMG_1823.jpeg (164.85 KB, 649 downloads)


1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1501795 05/22/2023 11:54 PM
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
J
24601
24601
J Offline
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
Looking good, Doug.

Tell us more about this truck. History? Condition? What's your general plan?


~ John

A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.

1949 Chevrolet 3804
In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum
1973 IH 1310 Dump
1963 Kaiser M38A1
2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"
2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
#1502499 05/27/2023 11:09 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
Been working on the 54 for a couple months now..total rust bucket except for the body... dash was pitted with rust and guages were a mess..pictures are from the clean up and putting it back together.. Just finished the main part of a rewire kit and have lights now.. turn signals are on hold waiting for a new collar and turn signal assembly.. Just got the gas tank installed today and wouldn't you know it but the gas gauge doesn't work right.. but making progress.
Attachments
IMG_1742.jpeg (244.43 KB, 606 downloads)
IMG_1782.jpeg (283.76 KB, 598 downloads)
IMG_1795.jpeg (260.13 KB, 592 downloads)
IMG_1750.jpeg (319.67 KB, 592 downloads)
IMG_1785.jpeg (355.14 KB, 590 downloads)
IMG_1802.jpeg (143.19 KB, 593 downloads)
IMG_0029.jpeg (207.27 KB, 584 downloads)
IMG_1789.jpeg (417.61 KB, 588 downloads)
IMG_1823.jpeg (164.85 KB, 583 downloads)
IMG_1827.jpeg (178.09 KB, 594 downloads)

Last edited by T-Doug; 05/27/2023 11:20 PM.

1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1502500 05/27/2023 11:25 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
I plan on getting it drivable and use as a daily driver.
Don’t really know much about the history but know get came to Alabama from Texas.

Just got the gas tank installed today and ran into a sending unit problem.
Attachments
IMG_1827.jpeg (178.09 KB, 592 downloads)

Last edited by klhansen; 05/28/2023 1:13 AM. Reason: consolidated threads

1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1502518 05/28/2023 2:28 AM
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
J
24601
24601
J Offline
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
Looking good! Those sending units can be fussy!


~ John

A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.

1949 Chevrolet 3804
In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum
1973 IH 1310 Dump
1963 Kaiser M38A1
2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"
2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
T-Doug #1502521 05/28/2023 2:37 AM
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,168
F
Fox Offline
A teacher, but always an apprentice.
A teacher, but always an apprentice.
F Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,168
Yes. Sending unit problem? You don’t say…

That dash looks great!


1970 Chevrolet C10
Grandpa's -- My first truck -- In progress to shiny
Follow the build in the Project Journal
1950 Chevrolet 1-Ton Dually
"Ole Red Girl"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures here
1951 GMC 9430 1 ton dually--Shiny! | 1972 Chevrolet C20- Rusty- the puzzle box lid for the C10 | 1962 AMC Rambler American- my wife's
Parts trucks-
1951 GMC 9300 | 1951-GMC 9430 | 1951- Chevrolet 1300
T-Doug #1502724 05/29/2023 5:40 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
Today's progress..

Got the oil pressure gauge hooked up top and bottom.. thats next to last opening on the engine.

Last opening to fill is water temp sending unit... took me from yesterday staring with penetrating oil and hitting it with the impact wrench a couple times until I gave up.. hit with the penetrating oil heavily before retiring for the day.

Today up early and hit it with more penetrating oil then impact wrench.. no go... pried the top section of the sending unit out and squirted more penetrating oil in the middle. Waited a half hour and did it again and hit it with the impact tool again no go..

Repeated penetrating oil twice over the next hour... hit it with the impact tool and lo and behold it broke loose finally... I danced around the truck to celebrate.. haha.. cleaned it up in the parts washer and then put it in the bucket with the white vinegar until I get home from working in my store... clean up then install tonight..


1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1503456 06/03/2023 6:32 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
It’s Saturday and felt it was time to update the progress this week.

Had one defeat. Could get the retainer pin out of the gas pedal. See pics. Ended up cutting the head of the rod off with my Dremel and removing the old one and putting the new one on. Can’t tell there was a major fight there now.

Got the fuel cut off valve in and installed. Good thing too. Later on that.

Got gas tank installed a couple days ago and installed the sending unit last night even though the gauge doesn’t work right. I’ll keep mental track of fuel level. Too much work getting the cluster installed and wired to go back now.

Hooked up fuel lines this morning and put some gas in the carb and it fired up. Yea!
The I checked and found the fitting at the fuel pump was leaking pretty good.
Went in the cab and switched the gas off. Walaa it stopped leaking. Pulled the fitting and found the 5/16 fitting was gauled badly. See pic.

Trip to hardware store and nada on the same fitting but found a 5/16 barb whick worked.
Came home and cut the fuel line and installed barbs and hose. Turned fuel back on. No leaks.

Now on to best part of my day. Was pouring gas in carb and it would run for 5 to 20 seconds and die. Each time I’d check the fuel pump glass to see if it was filling up yet. Repeated it a bit and at some point it kept running. It dropped to an idle and sounded like a singer sewing machine.

Turned it off after about 30 seconds since I hadn’t put water in it yet. I did dance around the truck a couple times before going to get the water hose.

See last pic. Got a nice sized hole in a freeze plug. Not going to replace it ATM. Purest will hate it but I’ve got some marine JB weld. Yeah you know what I’m gonna do.

Last note. After it ran for half a minute it died. Did that twice. Going to wait til after I fix water leak to run it again. I!m thinking carb problem butto early to tell.

Sorry for the long post but hope you enjoyed it. Til next time.
Attachments
IMG_0041.jpeg (424.92 KB, 534 downloads)
IMG_0043.jpeg (285.65 KB, 531 downloads)
IMG_0044.jpeg (127.15 KB, 526 downloads)
IMG_0047.jpeg (351.59 KB, 528 downloads)
IMG_0049.jpeg (363.07 KB, 531 downloads)
IMG_0048.jpeg (290.27 KB, 536 downloads)
54A607A0-D9C1-4700-B4ED-039F766C9EAF.jpeg (201.25 KB, 520 downloads)

Last edited by Phak1; 04/19/2025 12:03 PM. Reason: Weird character issue

1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1503489 06/03/2023 10:36 PM
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
Thanks for the pictures. I never think of using my phone to get a picture and better look at the problem.


Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.
1954 3100 Chevy truck
In the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
See more pix
1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
T-Doug #1503508 06/04/2023 12:45 AM
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,886
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,886
Doug,

Just a note here to suggest you go check out my reply to your post in The Engine Shop forum on the freeze plug fix.

I think it is a better solution than JB welding that old rusty plug.

Dan


~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
T-Doug #1503831 06/06/2023 12:39 AM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
The JB weld worked like a charm. No leak there now.
Now have a drip coming from a lip below and to the front. I’m hoping this is normal and not a cracked block.
Attachments
IMG_1837.jpeg (235.48 KB, 426 downloads)
IMG_1838.jpeg (253.6 KB, 427 downloads)
IMG_1839.jpeg (374.1 KB, 424 downloads)


1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1503835 06/06/2023 12:55 AM
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 176
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 176
May I ask how you stripped and painted the dash? See if I'm doing it the hard way. Yours looks FANTASTIC!!! Just about the same color I want to paint mine. My middle daughter is going to try to make the 'chevrolet' out of vinyl stick-on in turquois to use on mine. Sure would appreciate suggestions.

S2


Stewart2
1955.1 3100
Both Owner and P/U have lots of miles, lots of history and need LOTS of TLC
Jack of several trades and experiences; Master of none
T-Doug #1504654 06/10/2023 9:45 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
Stewart, I just used sandpaper starting with 150 then 400.. I wiped it down with denatured alcohol then sprayed it with Rustoleum rust eater.. I'll post a picture of it when I get home.. the dash (whole truck really) was pitted with rust.. after spraying the rust eater I followed up with 400 sandpaper again then the alcohol clean... followed with Rustoleum desert tan I think.. again I'll post a picture to be accurate.. memory doesn't always serve me well..

Did the same treatment to the rear cab area..

If you have a steady hand and keep it moving you can spray can a paint job that looks like a paint shop did it... allow it to cure 24 hours before doing any work around it... it will harden and resist scrapes and scratches after that..
Attachments
IMG_0058.jpeg (341.44 KB, 349 downloads)
IMG_1802.jpeg (143.19 KB, 136 downloads)

Last edited by T-Doug; 10/24/2023 11:44 PM.

1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1504656 06/10/2023 9:51 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
To bring the rest of the work this week up to date I JB welded the cracked block and it is holding up fine..

I've given up on the wiring for the time being.. Got the running lights and headlights working fine.. All the turn signals but the left front work.. can't figure it out so will use hand signals for left turns. smile

Oh.. still no brake lights.. not sure how to test those but plan to at a thread in the electrical forum tonight and ask for some help from the more experienced bolters..

Now only thing keep me from try for a drive around the circle is I have a oil leak at the oil pressure gauge that I can't stop and have yet to ID exactly where its coming from.. but leaking it is.. I'm going to try a new fitting and feral tonight and give it another go..

Forever hopeful everything will hold together.

Last edited by Phak1; 04/19/2025 12:09 PM. Reason: Typo

1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1504799 06/11/2023 9:13 PM
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 176
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 176
Thank you, T-Doug, appreciate you getting back to me. Seems like there is no EASY way of getting all the rust and paint gone. At least not one I can afford. As far as the steady hand goes, that's a laugh for me. For some reason I developed essential tremors in my dominate hand about 15 yrs ago. If a paint can needs shaken perfectly, I've got it made. Spray painting with that can.... I'll have that paint ALL over including outside the cab! Anyway, yours is looking really good! Can't wait to see the finished product.

In case you're planning to replace your door windows without refurbishing, I found that Ecklers sells a complete set of door windows with hardware for a little over $300. Don't know if you want to go that route or not.

Also, they seemed to have gotten the already posted pictures corrected, but like the one you posted while the system was down still isn't working. So would you please repost image when they get that part back up?

Thanks again.

S2


Stewart2
1955.1 3100
Both Owner and P/U have lots of miles, lots of history and need LOTS of TLC
Jack of several trades and experiences; Master of none
T-Doug #1504963 06/12/2023 9:57 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
Stewart,
Was just able to post pic of the paint.
Thanks for the tip on the windows. I’ll check it out.


1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1505152 06/13/2023 11:26 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
Looks like I fixed or reduced to a drop the oil leak at the sending unit. Fired it up and let it run for about ten minutes and looks good. I drained the oil and pulled the filter. That was a mess but it needed it. I’m going back in with Mobile one 10-30 and see how it likes it. Of course nobody had that filter in stock so will have to wait until tomorrow to get it.

Seats I found thru one of the bolters shipped so will be trying my hand at upholstery soon. Should be a study in patience.

Hope everyone is having fun


1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1505903 06/19/2023 3:36 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
Ran the engine for 15 minutes this morning and everything went fine. No leaks I could find.

Now I’m a bit upset that the only thing that works in the cluster is the oil pressure gauge.

Engine has a clunkity clunkity knock to it. Thinking maybe a froze lifter. Hmm

Did get some items painted under the hood while all this was going on. Not pro level but good enough for govt work. Test drive coming soon.
Attachments
IMG_0059.jpeg (298.87 KB, 304 downloads)


1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1505911 06/19/2023 3:54 PM
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,886
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,886
Doug,

Just a hopefully helpful comment about your latest picture. Check out where your drain pipe for your cowl vent discharges. Right now if you get any water through there, at least some of it's going to find its way inside your valve cover. Those open breather slots on that particular valve cover are an open door for water to enter your engine and contaminate your innards, real quickly.

Don't ask me how I learned about this problem - haha! dang

Good progress on your project.

Dan


~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Gdads51 #1505924 06/19/2023 4:44 PM
Joined: Feb 2021
Posts: 156
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2021
Posts: 156
Originally Posted by Gdads51
Doug,

Check out where your drain pipe for your cowl vent discharges. Right now if you get any water through there, at least some of it's going to find its way inside your valve cover. Those open breather slots on that particular valve cover are an open door for water to enter your engine and contaminate your innards, real quickly.


Dan

Interesting. My truck came with a junk engine and rusted through valve cover at the point of the drain pipe. It looked to be the original pipe. Truck might have been sitting in a muddy field possibly since 1974 as that dated plate came with truck. Did GM not consider the problem that kind of configuration could cause?


54 Chevy 3100 Deluxe 3 speed on column. Keeping original as possible but changed to 12 volt system.
JB Weld..."I put that stuff on everything"
JoeDude #1505929 06/19/2023 5:31 PM
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,886
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,886
Joe Dude,

Just a note that I wasn't meaning to start a technical conversation in Doug's Project Journal, just commenting on something he may want to pay attention to on his truck (the Project Journal's are supposed to be about the original posters truck, not general tech conversations).

If you like, post your question in the Engine Shop and folks can discuss that topic further.

As an alternative, we can get your post above moved over to the "Engine Shop" (with a little editing) to start your own conversation there.

Best Regards,

Dan


~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
T-Doug #1506124 06/21/2023 12:59 AM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
The journey took a sharp turn. Have engine running pretty good. Changed oil and filter. Drained and refilled tranny.

So, today I was going to pull out of the garage to clean it up then back right back in.

When I put it in 1st and let out the clutch I got nothing but a less noisy throughout bearing.

Big trouble in little china.

Now will look for some help in the drive train forum.

Last edited by Phak1; 04/19/2025 12:12 PM. Reason: Typo

1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
Gdads51 #1506183 06/21/2023 2:37 PM
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,480
AD Addict & Tinkerer
AD Addict & Tinkerer
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,480
Originally Posted by Gdads51
Check out where your drain pipe for your cowl vent discharges. Right now if you get any water through there, at least some of it's going to find its way inside your valve cover…..
The Factory Assembly Manual shows it cocked toward the drivers side, enough so the drain clears the valve cover.

Last edited by Phak1; 04/19/2025 12:17 PM. Reason: Shorten quote

Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals

1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube
Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum
T-Doug #1506187 06/21/2023 3:06 PM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Quote
The Factory Assembly Manual shows it cocked toward the drivers side, enough so the drain clears the valve cover.
STILL CHECK YOUR DRAIN TUBE
If the drain-tube lets water onto the top of your valve cover, your engine will suffer.
My original-length hose allowed water to enter the valve cover.

I have an extension hose that is attached with a male/male plastic hose fitting -- it is long enough to direct that water to the ground.
I take it off at shows (after arrival).

T-Doug #1506199 06/21/2023 5:07 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
That is a good idea. If nothing else I’ll add enough hose to clear the valve cover or better yet put a clamp in place to hold it nearer to the firewall.


1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1506251 06/21/2023 10:56 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
Got the rear drained and the cover off. Got enough metal out for a couple gears along with a gear. See pic. A serious setback but not defeated. Now will have to buy some more tools for this project I’m sure. That and find a video on how to proceed taking it all apart and putting it back together.

Doug’s rear end woes are discussed in the Driveline forum here.
Attachments
IMG_0063.jpeg (458.16 KB, 287 downloads)
IMG_0064.jpeg (223.05 KB, 283 downloads)

Last edited by Phak1; 04/19/2025 12:37 PM. Reason: Added link to driveline

1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1506295 06/22/2023 11:41 AM
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,480
AD Addict & Tinkerer
AD Addict & Tinkerer
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,480
Just throwing this out there, but you could always use a later model valve cover with no slots, or plug the slots with J.B.Weld, then use a vented oil fill cap.


Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals

1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube
Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum
T-Doug #1506459 06/23/2023 4:10 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
Well the rear is locked up and the key bolt stopped on the opposite side of course.. lossened the bearing clamp bolts to see if I could get some play in it to move it around... nada

Going to put it in gear and hit the starter to see if it will move.. if not If guess the next thing would be to drop the torque tube to disengage the u joint to see if it is the pinon that is locked up..

If that doesn't work I think the next step would be to remove the forward end of the differential..

Any ideas or suggestions would be helpful..


1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1506475 06/23/2023 5:25 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
Thanks to Hotrod's suggestion I got the carriage to turn all the way to where I can get to the retainer bolt and pin.. Just got called to lunch but will be back at it when thats over..

yea

Last edited by Phak1; 04/19/2025 12:53 PM. Reason: Typo

1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1506490 06/23/2023 7:06 PM
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,808
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,808
I'd seriously consider Jerry's offer of a complete drive train swap or at least look for a good rear end that you can just bolt in.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
T-Doug #1506512 06/23/2023 10:34 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
It all came out pretty easy. Now will work on the carrier removal.


1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1506633 06/24/2023 6:44 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
So to catch up on progress I’ve got the pumpkin empty now except for the pinion gear. That’s next job.
Attachments
IMG_0086.jpeg (302.69 KB, 305 downloads)

Last edited by T-Doug; 06/25/2023 4:21 PM.

1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1507035 06/27/2023 11:56 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
Had to go get 6 ton jack stands this morning. The 3 ton wouldn't reach the frame... now just need it to cool off.. wishful thinking in Alabama.


1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1507249 06/29/2023 9:31 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
Working on getting the ring gear off the housing. Like everything else it’s stuck.
Attachments
IMG_0089.jpeg (343.24 KB, 251 downloads)


1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1507619 07/02/2023 5:48 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
Got the ring gear off and new ring gear came in yesterday. Started cleaning up all the parts for reinstalling and found a hole in the pumpkin.

First picture is hole at 2:00
Second picture shows the light coming through it.

Time to get the JB weld out again. 😁
Attachments
IMG_1858.jpeg (344.5 KB, 238 downloads)
IMG_1859.jpeg (332.91 KB, 238 downloads)


1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1507887 07/05/2023 1:39 AM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
Fixed the hole and spent all day getting the ring gear back on. The hardware stores didn’t have 3/8 24 bolts so had to use Allen head bolts that said they were 3/8 24 but on trying them they were to big for the housing holes. Soooo Dremel time grinding them down solved the problem.
Off to the hardware store tomorrow to get a torque wrench. I knew I’d need one eventually but had been putting it off because of the $$$ a good one cost.
Attachments
IMG_0093.jpeg (354.33 KB, 213 downloads)


1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1507892 07/05/2023 2:15 AM
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Doug, check the parts house as some "rent" them....but not sure if they are good ones. Save your money if you can!!!

Last edited by Phak1; 04/19/2025 12:29 PM.

1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
T-Doug #1508019 07/06/2023 12:49 AM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
I found one at harbor freight that was 1/2 inch drive and had a clicker for $21.
Used it and now the ring gear is on and torqued. Sweaty again. It’s hot in Alabama these days. Will pick up where I left off in the morning.
Attachments
IMG_0095.jpeg (404.48 KB, 193 downloads)


1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1508111 07/06/2023 5:43 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
Don’t have enough hands to keep everything together to get the carrier reinstalled. Is there a method to this? Worked on it for two hours this morning and no progress.

Last edited by Phak1; 04/19/2025 12:54 PM. Reason: Typo

1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1508403 07/08/2023 11:51 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
Finally got the carriage in and the side gears. But now the ring gear won’t rotate to get the spider gears in. Just another problem to solve.


1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1508826 07/11/2023 10:09 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
Happy days. Figured out how to get the adjustment rings on today.
Ring gear was still locked up so pulled the transmission cover to check out my theory about the forks. Sure enough neither fork was in their slots. They were just floating loose. Got the forks lined up and put the lid back on and put in neutral. Went back under the rear and voila. The ring gear turns smoothly now. Danced a quick jig around the truck.

Next is to get the spider gears installed (later after it cools off). Of course I’ve. Put off cleaning the pumpkin cover so that need’s doing. Then I have to find the gasket. It’s somewhere in one of these boxes. Lol

But I am getting closer to being able to pull it out of the garage one day soon.
Attachments
IMG_0099.jpeg (338.42 KB, 327 downloads)

Last edited by T-Doug; 07/11/2023 10:13 PM.

1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1508859 07/12/2023 4:40 AM
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,168
F
Fox Offline
A teacher, but always an apprentice.
A teacher, but always an apprentice.
F Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,168
Whoop whoop!!😎


1970 Chevrolet C10
Grandpa's -- My first truck -- In progress to shiny
Follow the build in the Project Journal
1950 Chevrolet 1-Ton Dually
"Ole Red Girl"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures here
1951 GMC 9430 1 ton dually--Shiny! | 1972 Chevrolet C20- Rusty- the puzzle box lid for the C10 | 1962 AMC Rambler American- my wife's
Parts trucks-
1951 GMC 9300 | 1951-GMC 9430 | 1951- Chevrolet 1300
T-Doug #1508887 07/12/2023 1:55 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
Another step closer to first drive. Got the spider gears installed this morning.
But of course I don’t have a gasket for the cover so ordered it and will have to wait for it to get here to close it up. Also had to order a new filler plug. The old one was glued into place.

Next step is get the tranny lid back on. Then wait on parts.
Attachments
IMG_0100.jpeg (323.33 KB, 310 downloads)


1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1509034 07/13/2023 3:57 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
Got tranny gasket on and permatex’d it. Lid is on and tightened down. Now waiting on UPS.

Last edited by Phak1; 04/19/2025 12:31 PM. Reason: Typo

1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1509098 07/13/2023 10:41 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
Now I’m thinking I need to get started on the seats. The used frames are in but I don’t have a lot of room to work. So I’m going to clear a table and move it out some to use for a work area. Now need to order the kits. Ugh.
Attachments
IMG_0105.jpeg (181.74 KB, 277 downloads)
IMG_0104.jpeg (255.68 KB, 279 downloads)

Last edited by Phak1; 04/19/2025 12:30 PM.

1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1509539 07/17/2023 5:58 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
Just got a tube of Gear Marking compound in the mail.. I'm working my shop today but tomorrow we give the ring gear alienment a shot.. If that gets done then the pumkin can be closed up..

Tonight when I get home if its not too hot I plan to clear that table and get one of the seats on it.. the seat cover and stuffing is supposed to deliver today.. Won't know until I get home.. another new project..


1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1509892 07/20/2023 4:34 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
Extremely hot here in Alabama the last couple days and it looks like it continues until next week. It’s limited work time some.

But got fluid back in the tranny last night. This morning I got the rear closed up and filled with fluid. Put fill plug in so that’s all ready. Didn’t know it but the fill plug comes with a leather washer.

Now I find out the seat track holes don’t line up on drivers side. After lunch I’ll get the torch out and do a little repair work. Then a shower. It’s 100 degrees outside without the heat index so I’ll call it a day.

Working on figuring out the turn signal wiring also. Redoing the chart and posting it in electrical to get input from some wiser veterans later this afternoon. Inside with AC of course.
Attachments
IMG_0108.jpeg (228.23 KB, 238 downloads)
IMG_0110.jpeg (165.19 KB, 235 downloads)
IMG_0111.jpeg (107.72 KB, 233 downloads)

Last edited by T-Doug; 07/20/2023 4:37 PM.

1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1510118 07/22/2023 4:36 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
Fixed seat track problem last night..
Was going to try and move the truck for the first time this morning and found I had no brakes.. checked master and it was dry.. so have a thread up on what type of fluid to use then I'll have to figure out how to bleed them.. then I can pull it out of the garage then right back in after cleaning the garage up and maybe washing some of the truck off..

But on hold for the moment pending info on brake fluid..


1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1510186 07/23/2023 11:54 AM
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
Once you get brake fluid and bleeding complete your next task will be determing where the brake fluid went. I am working on a truck project (not as vintage) for my grandson and finally got the rebuild engine installed and running but like you no brakes. At least two brake lines (one front and one rear) had failed so inprocess of replacing them and then hopefully getting to actually test drive it.


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
T-Doug #1510207 07/23/2023 4:10 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
I have brakes now and will look for any leaks. I checked around and didn’t see anything obvious so will keep checking daily for a bit.

But. I did move the truck about six feet back then forward in the garage and brakes work fine. No sponginess at all.

Now need to take another shot at getting the electrical straightened out as relates to the turn signals and brake lights. Then I can install the seat track and frame.

Then the fun begins. Starting the upholstery of the seat and back. Since it’s cooled off to just the 90s now it’s not so hot at night. Low to mid 70s all next week so plan on getting as much done as possible before it heats up again.
Attachments
IMG_0097.jpeg (478.98 KB, 269 downloads)
IMG_0081.jpeg (191.07 KB, 271 downloads)

Last edited by T-Doug; 07/23/2023 4:13 PM.

1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1510280 07/24/2023 12:06 AM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
Thanks to Bill and Bartamos help I have the electrical fixed.. almost.. turns out the brake switch must be bad.. I shorted it with a screwdriver and brakes came on.. sooo going to order a brake switch but that won't hold up getting started on putting the rest of the interior in.. seat tracks and frame.. then unpack the used seat and back I got from another bolter and then try my hand at upholstery..
More as I go.


1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1510500 07/25/2023 4:56 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
In the meantime got the other turn signal feed to the dash feed spliced in so get an indicator for both turns.

Got the heater reinstalled but won’t connect it until later in the fall. Have to order a switch for it too.

Tried to install the driver side seat track but discovered the dip in the flange made the slide lever jam on the side of the riser. So after lunch I’ll get the torch out and my big crowbar and see if I can lift it enough so it clears the riser.

The fun never ends.
Attachments
IMG_0114.jpeg (329.05 KB, 242 downloads)
IMG_0115.jpeg (259.53 KB, 240 downloads)

Last edited by Phak1; 04/19/2025 12:58 PM.

1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1510528 07/25/2023 8:13 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
Got it sorted with the torch. Seat tracks and frame are in and bolted down. Now to break out the seat and back.

Almost forgot next is removing the brake switch and testing it.
Attachments
IMG_0116.jpeg (185.66 KB, 233 downloads)

Last edited by Phak1; 04/19/2025 12:58 PM.

1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1510558 07/25/2023 10:56 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
Got the brake switch out. Was rusted solid. New one ordered today. Now to unpack seats. J
Attachments
IMG_0117.jpeg (326.88 KB, 228 downloads)


1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1510644 07/26/2023 3:33 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
Ended up using some 3/16 coated cable with a turnbuckle to adjust it for the seat adjustment. Works fine
Attachments
E8CE3FA4-712C-4FA0-8B97-98A5D3312039.jpeg (149.97 KB, 216 downloads)


1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1510763 07/27/2023 2:41 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
Got the back rest stripped down. Other than a couple springs to reattach it looks good. Now off to hardware store to get a small wire wheel for the drill to finish cleaning it up then paint it.
Then on to the seat to let paint cure.
Attachments
IMG_0118.jpeg (268.82 KB, 199 downloads)
IMG_0120.jpeg (476.41 KB, 200 downloads)
IMG_0121.jpeg (290.85 KB, 199 downloads)
IMG_0125.jpeg (367.11 KB, 173 downloads)

Last edited by T-Doug; 07/28/2023 6:56 PM.

1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1510948 07/28/2023 6:51 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
Progress made on the upholstery front. Seat back is done and in the truck. Yea

May not be perfect but it’s done. Last picture is second layer of cotton going on.

Looking at seat the only thing that needs replacement is the foam. The rest of the padding looks fine. Got it on the table so after a break I’ll see if I get that one finished today.
Attachments
IMG_0129.jpeg (198.02 KB, 180 downloads)
IMG_0130.jpeg (231.61 KB, 180 downloads)
IMG_0128.jpeg (265.27 KB, 174 downloads)

Last edited by T-Doug; 07/28/2023 6:55 PM.

1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1510955 07/28/2023 7:35 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
Next problem. Seat frame is bent at one end. Torch and crowbar should fix it as long as I don’t set it on fire.
Attachments
IMG_0132.jpeg (310.63 KB, 169 downloads)
IMG_0133.jpeg (257.44 KB, 169 downloads)


1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1511082 07/29/2023 5:26 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
Decided to strip off the foam and cotton and put new cotton down.. Had it in the kit and might as well use it.. Pics coming.


1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1511556 08/02/2023 12:34 AM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
Seats are done and today I moved it for the first time. Just out of the garage and back. While I had it out i pressure washed underneath to get all the crude off it.

I also found the source of the klackity klack noise. Noticed by chance that the wiper base was rotating. The darn wiper had been on the whole time making me think I had an engine knock.

So was a good day today

Doug
Attachments
IMG_0136.jpeg (198.32 KB, 272 downloads)
IMG_0138.jpeg (313.66 KB, 271 downloads)
IMG_0139.jpeg (485.46 KB, 272 downloads)


1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1511595 08/02/2023 11:44 AM
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
Looking good!


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
T-Doug #1511599 08/02/2023 12:53 PM
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,480
AD Addict & Tinkerer
AD Addict & Tinkerer
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,480
You seat looks great. Nice job!


Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals

1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube
Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum
T-Doug #1511657 08/02/2023 9:07 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
First drive today. Yea.

Went around the block twice. Every thing rattles and the clutch is slipping. Looking into how to adjust it now.

Still no gauges work. Not even the speedometer. Lol. Only one working is the oil pressure gauge which if I had a choice that is the one I’d want.

Since it is geared so low I don’t think I’ll worry about speeding. 😁

Doug


1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1511691 08/03/2023 1:35 AM
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,480
AD Addict & Tinkerer
AD Addict & Tinkerer
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,480
What a great feeling taking your first ride. Your story sounds just like my first ride, with all the shaking, rattling, only some of the gauges working and very little brakes, but it was still really exciting. It only improves from here.

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Last edited by Phak1; 08/17/2023 12:46 AM.

Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals

1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube
Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum
T-Doug #1511710 08/03/2023 3:42 AM
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,291
Moderator for Tons o' Fun , Co-Moderator Driveline Forum
Moderator for Tons o' Fun , Co-Moderator Driveline Forum
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,291
Doug, since you took your "first drive", you are now likely 98% addicted and going cold turkey is not an option. Congratulations on the progress!


Ron - - Dusty53
1954 Chevy 3604
In the Gallery Forum
"You can't dance with the Devil and then wonder why you're still in Hell."
"They will forget what you've said, and they will forget what you have done but they will never forget the way you made them feel."
T-Doug #1512268 08/07/2023 9:14 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
Drove Bart around the block again after adjusting the clutch and it was worse so I adjusted it the other way and will get a chance to drive it tomorrow to see it that was it... if not I'm going to see about a new clutch.. biggest problem will be finding someone that can work on it that I can trust..

Good new was on this last drive the heat gauge started working.. might have had a air pocket back where the sender is.. but its working now so one down and several to go.


1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1512732 08/12/2023 7:32 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
Drove Bart around the block again today and clutch is still almost not there soooo.. looks like a heavy project coming up..
I did find a local machine shop that can resurface the flywheel so thats taken care of and was my biggest worry.. just don't have the machine shops around like they used to..

going to think about it but will likely start the clutch job myself.. not looking forward to the heavy weights but will enjoy fixing the problem... then I can move on..

The carb is leaking gas.. just a little but since I've decided to pull the back rest and shift the upholstery around it would be a good time to turn the gas off and fix the carb.. the foam has shifted in the backrest and I had put two layers of cotton in it.. feels like i'm on top of the steering wheel... so going to remove one layer of cotton and maybe move some of the springs around to even it up.. then put it back together and see how it feels.. by then I should have motivated my ambition to start the clutch R&R. Have to buy some new tools I guess.. smile

Doug


1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1513293 08/17/2023 12:18 AM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
Started on the long journey to get a new clutch and pressure plate in. First discovery was oil all over the flywheel cover. That is likely why the slipping.

Drained the transmission. Got the rear cover plate off the tranny to expose the u-joint and stopped. Don’t see how to get to it. I put up a thread in drive chain to get some guidance.

When I figure it out I’ll start again.

This issue is discussed in the Driveline forum here.
Attachments
IMG_0145.jpeg (375.27 KB, 146 downloads)

Last edited by Phak1; 04/19/2025 1:09 PM. Reason: Added link to Driveline

1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1513427 08/18/2023 12:44 AM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
Progress. Got the flywheel cover off. Why they used screws is beyond me. Will go back with hex heads. Had to use vice grips to get four of the six screws out. Especially the two under the cross member.

Had surface oil on the cover but flywheel and pressure plate looked dry. We’ll see for sure when they come out.

Drained the trans and got the rear cover off last night. Got bell moved off the U-joint this afternoon and will continue in the morning.
Attachments
IMG_1868.jpeg (301.55 KB, 132 downloads)
IMG_1869.jpeg (246.27 KB, 132 downloads)
IMG_1871.jpeg (218.41 KB, 132 downloads)


1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1514348 08/24/2023 2:39 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
Been working on getting the torque tube down since my last post. Couldn’t get the ujoint to clear the housing. You are supposed to be able to compress the ujoint back into the torque tube to get clearance. It likely hasn’t been moved in 70 years so was stuck. After many days of trying all kinds of suggestions I went back to square one. But first I sprayed blaster into the ujoint spline yesterday, last night and again this morning. Jacked up the rear and put stands on the axles. Using my big crowbar I got some movement first try. About an inch back. What a relief. Eased the jack down and it cleared the housing.

Now have to get the ujoint out of the torque tube then the bell cover off. I’ll jack the tube back up to the floor and have room to pull the trans.

Doug
Attachments
IMG_0149.jpeg (228.2 KB, 206 downloads)
IMG_0151.jpeg (364.49 KB, 206 downloads)

Last edited by T-Doug; 08/24/2023 2:40 PM.

1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1514489 08/25/2023 12:47 PM
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,886
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,886
Doug,

Great job being persistent with working on the 70 yr old drive connection.

Clearly making progress - kudos! thumbs_up

Dan


~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
T-Doug #1514981 08/29/2023 1:37 AM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
Got the rear ujoint disassembled with only having to beat on it a little. One side was stuck. Nothing a socket and ball peen hammer didn’t solve.

Got the slide hammer in today and spent about 20 minutes beating on it before I wore out. Used some blaster on it and will return to the fight in the morning.
Attachments
IMG_0152.jpeg (324.68 KB, 177 downloads)

Last edited by T-Doug; 08/29/2023 1:37 AM.

1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1515155 08/30/2023 3:14 AM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
Had a good day. Thanks to a suggestion from Hotrod I got the rear ujoint off the axle.

Got the tube secured up to the floor so now on to the transmission.

One more step forward.

Doug
Attachments
IMG_0154.jpeg (176.54 KB, 160 downloads)


1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1515374 08/31/2023 10:53 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
Well the garage gods finally smiled on me.
Loosened the trans bolts this morning then had errands all day.
Got home and removed the bolts and the trans came out without a problem. Took about five minutes to get it on the floor.

Stopped there. I’ll roll it off to a small furniture dolly and clean it up tomorrow.
Attachments
IMG_0160.jpeg (367.09 KB, 144 downloads)
IMG_0159.jpeg (171.34 KB, 143 downloads)


1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1515376 08/31/2023 10:58 PM
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,886
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,886
Great job Doug!

Don't forget to cover the big open top of the gear box. Wouldn't want any gremlins to find there way in there and cause havoc later. wink

Dan


~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
T-Doug #1515479 09/01/2023 6:21 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
Got the trans out from underneath the truck too heavy to lift for me. Will head to harbor freight and get a small lift to use for the installation.
Cleaned up the ujoint cup with my dremel.

Now to remove the clutch and pressure plate.

Doug
Attachments
63293DB8-B1E2-4709-9CA6-4363472F4F89.jpeg (196.28 KB, 131 downloads)

Last edited by T-Doug; 09/01/2023 6:22 PM.

1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1515566 09/02/2023 12:16 PM
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
Yeah those tranmissions are really heavy. Best way I have heard to lift for install is using a cherry picker through the access hole in the cab floor.


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
T-Doug #1515620 09/02/2023 9:43 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
Clutch and pressure plate are on the floor. Took a couple doses of blaster and they came out.

They didn’t look that bad but they weren’t working

Next to the Dremel the cordless torque wrench is my favorite tool now.
I’ll get to the flywheel next but it will be a couple days.
Anyone know how much the flywheel weighs.

Thanks for all the positive reinforcement along the way.

Doug
Attachments
IMG_0163.jpeg (237.79 KB, 103 downloads)
IMG_0164.jpeg (207.7 KB, 102 downloads)


1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1515903 09/04/2023 9:58 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
Found a 10" clutch kit at O'Reily's and picked it up this morning...It looks exactly like the one I took out... now to get the flywheel off so it can get machined..

Onward.

Doug


1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1515912 09/04/2023 10:42 PM
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,299
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,299
Originally Posted by T-Doug
Clutch and pressure plate are on the floor. Took a couple doses of blaster and they came out.

They didn’t look that bad but they weren’t working

Next to the Dremel the cordless torque wrench is my favorite tool now.
I’ll get to the flywheel next but it will be a couple days.
Anyone know how much the flywheel weighs.

Thanks for all the positive reinforcement along the way.

Doug

I remember when I pulled mine, I had this fear of being stuck under the truck and trying to get it clear of the dowel pins and not getting it teeth side down in my forehead. I chose to lay out some thick carpet under the truck and tap it off with a rubber hammer.

T-Doug #1515929 09/05/2023 12:12 AM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
I have the same fears but I'm going to put the jack under it before I try to take it off the pins..

My problem right now is failed in getting the pilot bearing out and wondered if I can remove it after I get the flywheel on the ground..

Never easy is it.

Doug


1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1516641 09/09/2023 8:26 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
Got the slide hammer in today and set it up. Hit it about 50 times before I was wore out. Sprayed it with blaster and took a break.

Came back and sprayed it again then using a long socket and my big ball peen hammer hit it a half dozen times.

Broke out the 3/4 nf tap that also came in today and got that started. Took about 10 minutes or so and got the bearing broken loose and out.

To say I was relieved is an understatement.

Cleaned up the area and moving on to the flywheel. Got 2 of the 6 bolts loose and soaked the others with blaster and will give another go after a break.

Doug
Attachments
IMG_0166.jpeg (345.72 KB, 229 downloads)


1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1516983 09/12/2023 4:01 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
Got the last bolt out last night. Thanks to Hotrod for the suggestion to use a wood dowel in the pilot bearing hole for the flywheel when it came loose. Took five minutes with a rubber mallet to ease it off and let it sit overnight because I was tired and didn’t want any mistakes.

This morning I moved the jack under the flywheel and lifted it a bit and took the dowel out. Lowered it to the ground and let it fall on the cardboard I had there.

So it’s off to the machine shop this afternoon.

Have other tasks to get back to while waiting on it to get done. Need to remove the sending unit and replace it with one I tested to be sure it worked. I didn’t have a VOM when I put the first one in. Hope this solves the gas gauge not working problem.

Also found the source of the break fluid leak. Will do that next.

Doug
Attachments
IMG_1887.jpeg (232.12 KB, 199 downloads)
IMG_1886.jpeg (136.67 KB, 198 downloads)

Last edited by Phak1; 04/19/2025 1:15 PM. Reason: Weird character issue

1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1517168 09/13/2023 2:59 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
Picked up the flywheel this morning and it looks good.
Now I need to do other things in the area before I can start reinstalling the drivetrain.

Need to change out the fittings on the brake master cylinder while the area is clear and remove some of the crusted dirt layered on the frame around the trans.

Also need to install a line bracket for the brake line that runs along the frame below the transmission while it is easy to get to.

Doug
Attachments
325D190F-23CE-46BA-9856-D26E23F2D41D.jpeg (232.12 KB, 186 downloads)
CCF455BB-6524-4DB6-9A26-59D5716A3507.jpeg (349.35 KB, 186 downloads)


1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1517448 09/15/2023 12:42 AM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
I did a check on the speedometer. Had hooked up the drill to the end from the transmission and the speedometer didn’t work. Then a bolter suggested running it in reverse and it worked just fine. That got me to remove the speedometer fitting off the transmission and clean it up.

First thing is that it is all metal. They knew how to make things that lasted back then.

Second thing I noticed was it had a tooth missing. I wonder where that went.

I don’t see an obvious way to take it apart so asking for help again.

Can the whole fitting be ordered?


Doug
Attachments
IMG_0169.jpeg (551.87 KB, 176 downloads)


1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1517505 09/15/2023 12:39 PM
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,886
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,886
Doug,

You may be able to locate a replacement, but need to know some more details to try and help identify the correct original part number for your speedo drive gear.

Needed:

Number of teeth on the driven gear (the piece you have pictured)

Number of teeth on the drive gear (affixed to the transmission output shaft).

You should be able to shine a flashlight in through the hole and get a count of the drive gears teeth without having to tear the transmission down.

Come back and let us know what you have and we can try and help find replacement.

Dan


~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
T-Doug #1517535 09/15/2023 3:23 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
The speedo gear has 13 teeth.
The transmission gear has 5 teath.

Doug


1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1517541 09/15/2023 4:11 PM
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 2,455
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Online: Content
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 2,455
You really should put the tranny in neutral, jack up at least one rear wheel and have someone turn the wheel by hand slowly while you watch the teeth go by inside the hole on the tranny. If you see any damaged teeth in there, replacing just the driven gear might not fix the problem.


'57 GMC 102, Original 347 V8, HydraMatic, 3.08 rear gear, added A/C, disk front brakes, HEI, AFB carb, '98 Honda Black Currant paint. T-boned and totaled 10/12
'52 GMC 152 Stake Bed, Original 228, SM420, added A/C, HEI, disk front brakes, '67 Chev 3.55 rear gear. Gets used as a real truck.
T-Doug #1517545 09/15/2023 4:59 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
The tranny is sitting on the floor so thats easy to do.. which I already did smile
There are partially broken teeth on the tranny gear...
I'm worried where the pieces went.. going to flush the tranny after I get it cleaned up and see if I can wash out some pieces..

Doug


1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1517636 09/16/2023 12:13 PM
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
Partially broken teeth on the tranny gear really means that gear should be replaced. Mating a replacement speedo gear with a damaged transmission gear will damage the the speedo gear in short order.


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
T-Doug #1517653 09/16/2023 2:33 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
Problem is finding one or both. May just not have a working speedometer

Doug
Attachments
IMG_0170.jpeg (294.08 KB, 197 downloads)


1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1517662 09/16/2023 2:57 PM
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 2,455
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Online: Content
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 2,455
When looking for the gears check with Novak. They do a lot of SM-420 work, mostly modifying them to fit in older Jeeps which like the SM-420's first gear ratio for rock climbing.


'57 GMC 102, Original 347 V8, HydraMatic, 3.08 rear gear, added A/C, disk front brakes, HEI, AFB carb, '98 Honda Black Currant paint. T-boned and totaled 10/12
'52 GMC 152 Stake Bed, Original 228, SM420, added A/C, HEI, disk front brakes, '67 Chev 3.55 rear gear. Gets used as a real truck.
T-Doug #1518546 09/21/2023 7:26 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
No luck on the speedo gear but did get the flywheel installed last night... now to get the pilot bearing in. Hopefully this afternoon..

Doug


1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1518579 09/21/2023 11:18 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
After three tries I got the pilot bearing in straight and down.

Now waiting on a response about torque values for the flywheel and pressure plate.

Doug
Attachments
5A07223E-5AF1-4A55-8776-EEDDD5793C68.jpeg (371.63 KB, 161 downloads)


1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1518607 09/22/2023 2:03 AM
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,886
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,886
Doug,

See this 235 Torque Specs older post reply for torque values for your flywheel and pressure plate.

Dan


~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Gdads51 #1518702 09/22/2023 9:37 PM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
I haven't followed/read this entire thread carefully. (I apologize)

However, here are some torque specs that might be helpful.

Feel free to delete this post if it is redundant and/or not useful.

Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Originally Posted by tclederman
I haven't followed/read this entire thread carefully. (I apologize)

However, here are some torque specs that might be helpful.

Feel free to delete this post if it is redundant and/or not useful.
Unfortunately, that only covers assembling the pressure plate to the clutch cover assembly, and not the cover to flywheel bolts. Not even on the next page. frown


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
T-Doug #1518848 09/23/2023 9:27 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
Got the clutch and pressure plate installed.
Then put in the clutch fork and throw out bearing in place.
Now have to figure out how to get the trans on the floor jack to get it up and in place.

Doug


1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1518898 09/24/2023 11:48 AM
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,480
AD Addict & Tinkerer
AD Addict & Tinkerer
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,480
If you have an engine lift, you can lift the tranny up tru the removed transmission floor cover, using rope. Easy peasy!


Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals

1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube
Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum
T-Doug #1518902 09/24/2023 12:16 PM
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
Don't forget to install headless guide bolts to help align the transmission as you are guiding the input shaft through the clutch into the pilot bearing.


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Originally Posted by WICruiser
Don't forget to install headless guide bolts to help align the transmission as you are guiding the input shaft through the clutch into the pilot bearing.

thumbs_up

T-Doug #1519025 09/25/2023 3:04 AM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
I’ve got them on the workbench to grind on tomorrow.
Today I got the trans back under the truck and will get it set up to lift it by Tuesday.

Slowly getting there.
Doug


1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1519041 09/25/2023 12:27 PM
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,886
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,886
Doug,

Another minor but important reminder on fabricated guide pins.

Grind/cut a flat tip screwdriver slot in the ends so you can easily remove them after the transmissions is set. wink

I learned that here in Stovebolt! cool

Dan


~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
T-Doug #1519229 09/26/2023 2:08 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
I made sure they were long enough that I can put a wrench on them if needed.
Attachments
IMG_1899.jpeg (222.69 KB, 194 downloads)


1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1519262 09/26/2023 7:23 PM
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
I think your picture shows the pins installed screwed into the tranny and sticking into the bell housing. You may have big trouble getting the tranny all the way in if those guide pins hit the clutch, let alone getting them out after the tranny is in place. Screw them into the bell housing (top bolt holes) and slide the tranny over them. That way there's lots of room for getting them out after the tranny is slid home.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
T-Doug #1519263 09/26/2023 7:24 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
We’ll find out if this works shortly. A bit of southern engineering.

Doug
Attachments
ECB60200-95AA-45C0-B48D-040DFB057D43.jpeg (317.76 KB, 183 downloads)
0C850543-4758-4C62-A52F-F4B110DADA9C.jpeg (217.91 KB, 182 downloads)
EEE9E7B2-6027-4AB8-97E5-3DFC5B3ADC4E.jpeg (255.63 KB, 181 downloads)


1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1519280 09/26/2023 10:15 PM
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,886
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,886
Doug,

Just a note that I agree 100% with Kevin!

Both guide pins need to be in the top bellhousing holes only.

That pin threaded into the transmission lower mount location is way too long to allow for full forward setting of the transmission AND still be able to extract it (must pull out from the front).

Dan


~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
T-Doug #1519353 09/27/2023 11:59 AM
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
It looks like your lifting mechanism is going to fall short of getting the transmission up to the required location unless I am not understanding your process.

It is unfortunate tha tyou do not have a cherry picker/engine lift. They can be used for so many things.


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Originally Posted by WICruiser
It looks like your lifting mechanism is going to fall short of getting the transmission up to the required location unless I am not understanding your process.
That and your system looks very top-heavy and unstable. Please be careful with that, as you don't want to injure either yourself or the transmission. You'd be better off renting a transmission jack.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
T-Doug #1519404 09/27/2023 8:17 PM
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,963
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,963
No sir, you are going to struggle with that. Both bolts at the top of the bell housing. Slots on the end. I learned that tranny trick here and used it
by myself many times.

Build a base made of wood for the tranny to sit on your floor jack. Low as possible.

Fill in with smaller pieces of wood. Ratchet strap that thing on there. Once you get it on those top bolts ,it'll slide right in. Bolt up the bottom 2.
My top bolts, I could hand loosen after that. But slots cut in the end might help.

Last edited by John Milliman; 09/27/2023 8:20 PM.

~ BD.
"You won't find me in an old folks home" Pioneer Florida Cracker
1958 Apache Stepside
1958 Apache 1/2 ton Panel
1959 Apache 1/2 ton Panel
T-Doug #1519444 09/28/2023 1:15 AM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
Ended up biting the bullet and bought an engine hoist. It was still tricky because it was at the end of its reach to lift the trans. The guide bolts worked like a charm. They were easy to remove after I got two bolts on and tightened.

So transmission is in. Now on to the u-joint and cup.

Doug
Attachments
IMG_0172.jpeg (505.08 KB, 220 downloads)
IMG_0173.jpeg (218.31 KB, 220 downloads)
IMG_0171.jpeg (238.01 KB, 222 downloads)


1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1519470 09/28/2023 12:02 PM
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
You will find a lot of uses for that engine hoist. Mine sits out of the way most of the time but when I need to lift something it really comes in handy.


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
T-Doug #1519497 09/28/2023 4:22 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
That’s what I figured too. Should have never sold my last one. Lol

Now I have a new problem. The clutch doesn’t work. It stays engaged. I’ve adjusted it out as far as it will go and it still doesn’t disengage.

Now what.

I’m going to put a thread up in drive train also

Doug
Attachments

Last edited by T-Doug; 09/28/2023 4:23 PM.

1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1519670 09/29/2023 10:18 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
Ok. Pulled the trans and clutch and compared the new to old one.

It won’t post pictures atm. I’ll follow up with some later


Doug
Attachments
IMG_1904.jpeg (262.22 KB, 164 downloads)
IMG_1906.jpeg (123.8 KB, 164 downloads)
IMG_1907.jpeg (154.55 KB, 165 downloads)
IMG_1908.jpeg (349.73 KB, 164 downloads)
IMG_1909.jpeg (189.8 KB, 165 downloads)
IMG_1911.jpeg (64.54 KB, 165 downloads)

Last edited by T-Doug; 09/30/2023 3:49 AM.

1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1519891 10/01/2023 2:26 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
It’s obvious now that I take the time to look at them. New clutch has a different profile altogether.

Good news is O’Riellys gave me a refund when I brought it back.

Ordered one from the Napa store that will be here Monday.

Fingers crossed

Doug


1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1520578 10/05/2023 10:42 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
Ordered a clutch kit from carparts.com. It looks like mine and I’ll find out tomorrow if it fits.

If that fails I found a clutch rebuild place in Kentucky that will be my next try. They say they can do a same day turnaround.

Another day of waiting for parts.

Doug


1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1522307 10/17/2023 9:38 PM
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
I seem to recall seeing that you received your rebuilt clutch but have not seen any further updates. Just curious how it all came together. You have had more than your share of problems that I suspect were unforeseen.

Last edited by Phak1; 04/19/2025 1:20 PM. Reason: Typo

1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
T-Doug #1522314 10/17/2023 10:16 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
Got the rebuilt clutch back. Looks great.
Just finished installing it. I had forgotten to order a throw out bearing with it so had to wait for it to come in today. So hopefully tomorrow I’ll get the clutch torqued down and get the tranny back in.

Have out of town company coming in shortly so had to pause things.

Will update asi get things done.

Doug


1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1522476 10/19/2023 2:17 AM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
Got the clutch torqued down and started working on the trans installation.

Almost got it but discovered I put the throw out bearing in backwards of all things. In the process the clutch arm came loose. Had to move the trans down and out of the way. Will give it another go in the morning.

Doug

Last edited by T-Doug; 10/19/2023 2:18 AM.

1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1522601 10/19/2023 10:03 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
Well shoots. Can’t get the trans to seat. Hits a hard bottom with about 1” to 1 1/2” to reach the bell housing. Scratching my head right now.
Looks like I’ll have to remove everything and check how they are fitting together.

Doug
Attachments
IMG_0180.jpeg (226.71 KB, 238 downloads)
IMG_0181.jpeg (151.52 KB, 238 downloads)


1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1522608 10/19/2023 10:35 PM
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,886
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,886
Doug,

It almost sounds like your input shaft isn't indexing into the clutch plate grooves.

If your transmission is in gear, you can grab the output shaft u-joint yoke (while partially installed) and turn it a small amount by hand to get the input shaft to align with the clutch plate grooves, then just slide it home.

You'll know when you have alignment. thumbs_up


~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
T-Doug #1522626 10/20/2023 12:52 AM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
That’s what I tried doing. I’ll give it another try tomorrow. I’ll ratchet the flywheel a bit and keep trying.
This wearing me out.

Doug


1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1522663 10/20/2023 11:47 AM
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
That far out it sure sounds like the spline is not engaging the clutch disk, could be rotation as Gdads51 said or it could be just offset alignment that is keeping it from sliding in. I know its not easy but pull the transmission back out and check the disk alignment, you can rotate to get spine alignment but it is harder to get the disk to shift over if it is offset.


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
T-Doug #1522666 10/20/2023 12:11 PM
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,480
AD Addict & Tinkerer
AD Addict & Tinkerer
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,480
Did you use a clutch alignment tool?


Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals

1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube
Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum
T-Doug #1522701 10/20/2023 3:58 PM
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 899
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Online: Content
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 899
Sometimes you can get someone to push the clutch pedal in while you wiggle the trans and push it in. I've also had better luck using a stock input shaft, than one of those plastic alignment tools for the clutch disc.


Brian
1955.2 3100 Truck
The older I get the more dangerous I am!!!!!
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Originally Posted by 55shaker
Sometimes you can get someone to push the clutch pedal in while you wiggle the trans and push it in. I've also had better luck using a stock input shaft, than one of those plastic alignment tools for the clutch disc.
That's what I needed to do on my tranny. But it was less than an inch from mating up with the bell housing (just needed to get the pilot bushing lined up.) With the distance on yours, Doug, it sure sounds like the splines aren't engaging. It might be a long shot, but did you make sure that the number of splines on the clutch disk match the tranny input shaft? Might be worth checking, since you're pulling the tranny back out.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
T-Doug #1522747 10/20/2023 10:31 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
I’m down to the pilot bushing distance now. I spent the entire afternoon with it and still won’t drop in.
Tomorrow I’m going to pull everything off and then see if the shaft drops into the pilot bearing. If not I’ll replace it and start over.

Thanks for all the helpful hints.

Doug


1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1522748 10/20/2023 10:41 PM
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
With the guide pins, you should be able to stick it in till the disk engages, then with the clutch disengaged (tie the pedal down) drop the tail of the tranny a bit and a VERY LITTLE BIT at a time, raise the tail of the tranny and wiggle it side to side while pushing forward. I think it'll eventually drop in place. My engine was on a roller stand and I was putting the tranny in by hand (3 speed, though, so not so heavy). Once I got a prybar in the clutch linkage and released it, it dropped right into place.
Hope you can get 'er done soon.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
T-Doug #1522939 10/22/2023 3:06 AM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
10/21/23 update.

Got the trans on the ground today and checked the pilot bearing and found it to be off center. How that happened is a mystery since I used the alignment tool when the clutch was put on. But needless to say it was off.

So loosened the bolts on the clutch and put the alignment tool in and checked it throughout the process of tightening down the clutch.

Then I put the shifter in the vice and set it up for third gear. That’s what it looked like the trans was in. Drug the trans out from under the truck and put the cover on being sure everything aligned. Put in four bolts then shifted it into neutral. Took the cover off and made sure it had stayed in neutral. I could turn the shaft from the rear yoke so all good.

Drug it back under the truck. Put the alignment pins in then hoisted it up and left it.

Was tired and wanted to be fresh for next try.

I work tomorrow and Monday so might be a couple days for next update

Doug


1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1523296 10/24/2023 5:40 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
10/24/23 back in the garage today. Not a happy camper. Got the same problem as before. Somehow I’m getting a misalignment still. Alignment tool was in place until I put the trans in place but still won’t stab the pilot bearing. And the alignment tool won’t go back into the pilot bear.

I’m tired and frustrated so going to take a break and come back later.

Doug

Edit
Did a little checking and it looks like the pilot bearing is smaller than the trans shaft by about 50 thousands. Grrrr

Last edited by T-Doug; 10/24/2023 5:52 PM.

1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1523885 10/29/2023 1:11 AM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
10/28/23 back at it today. Spent a couple hours wrestling with the trans and decided it was time to start over. Glad I did now. Seems I hadn’t installed the pilot bearing fully which was keeping the tranny from mating up to the bell housing by about a 1/2 inch.

Luckily I had ordered another pilot bearing as backup and it came in this afternoon. Also this time I had a real installation tool not a socket. Bearing went in fairly easy and got it to bottom out so all good.

Just finished getting the clutch installed and called it a day.

Doug


1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1523984 10/29/2023 11:36 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
10/29/23 had a couple hours in the garage this morning and made some progress.

The tranny is installed now. High five 🙌

Next is getting the clutch adjusted. If all looks (feels) good I’m going to put some diesel and ATF in and start it up. Will run it about five minutes idling in neutral then drain it. I’ll leave it overnight to dry out then fill with 90 weight mineral gear oil.

Then on to the u-joint.

Doug
Attachments
IMG_0182.jpeg (283.11 KB, 231 downloads)


1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1523985 10/29/2023 11:39 PM
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
thumbs_up
Progress is a good thing. yahoo


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
T-Doug #1524091 10/30/2023 10:37 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
10/30/23 Got back out to the garage this morning.
I adjusted the clutch arm and just used the starter to kick it over.. the darn gears are still turning with the clutch in... I'm about to give up on this one.. don't know what else to to..

Doug


1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1524097 10/30/2023 11:19 PM
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,480
AD Addict & Tinkerer
AD Addict & Tinkerer
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,480
Post your new issue with your previous clutch issue in the Driveline forum. Posting in the Shops will get you more replies then here in the Project Journals.

Last edited by Phak1; 11/02/2023 12:11 PM.

Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals

1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube
Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum
T-Doug #1558958 09/26/2024 12:29 AM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
Update.
Been a while since I posted anything. There was nothing new to say since I was on my 50th attempt to get the tranny installed. Well I had almost given up. I had even listed the truck for sale last week. But the spirits smiled on me tonight as I finally got the tranny installed and it appears to work. Yah hoo.
I turned the stater over and gears turned but when I pushed the clutch in they stopped.
So seems like I’m back in business.
I’ll post again after I get the driveshaft hooked up a put oil back in the tranny and get the shifter back on.

I’ll relate what I think the problem was later.

Til next time.


1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1558996 09/26/2024 12:03 PM
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
Great to hear, I was wondering what ever happened to your project.


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
T-Doug #1559328 09/29/2024 9:31 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
I took the seat back apart and took the 1" foam I put in it.. it had me sitting halfway off the seat.. got it done and installed last night.. also got oil back in the transmission and the lid back on.. first try and the engine bogged down.. sooo toook the lid off and found the shaft sticking up wasw missed the hole in the lid and was locking the transmission up.. got it installed again and tried it and it shifts and goes into gear like it is supposed to.. so another step forward..

Now as to why I couldn't get the trans in all this time.. I was using a guide bolt in the top left trans hole on the bell housing and a bolt in the bottom right transmission hole to help guide the trans into place.. well I got it close enough in to get the top right bolt in and was going to pull it in but it was way to hard so I backed it off a little and went under to check clearance and saw that the bottom right bolt was hitting the clutch housing.. so cranked the flywheel over with a crowbar and got in on one of the valleys.. woo hoo.. trans slipped right in... can't believe that all this time it could have been a simple interference problem.. but that is behind me now.. I hope lol

next is either/or start hooking up the u-joint or pulling the speedo gear to post here to see if a replacement can be found..

Until next time
Cheer

Last edited by Phak1; 04/19/2025 1:26 PM. Reason: Typo

1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1559345 09/29/2024 11:28 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
Pulled the gear. 13 teeth. But only two were broken so I’m thinking it is the inside gear that got trashed. Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

Also undid the seat back and took out the one inch foam. It was nice but had only half a seat to sit on. Redid the upholstery and installed it a few minutes ago. Much more comfortable sitting back more.

Pics
Attachments
IMG_0193.jpeg (594.18 KB, 117 downloads)
IMG_0192.jpeg (202.63 KB, 116 downloads)


1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1560321 10/09/2024 11:36 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
Update 10/9/24
Got the torque tube installed.

Got the tranny installed but couldn’t get in reverse.

After taking the lid off twice and checking everything it still wasn’t going into reverse. That is until I was going to ck the forward gears starting in 2nd that I was a little off to the left and after jiggling it it went into reverse. It’s been two years since the first test drive that I had forgotten it was over and down not up like the shifter knob shows

So tomorrow morning will be the test drive and if all goes well I’ll start ordering the glass and seals to button it up and be drivable.

Doug
Attachments
IMG_0196.jpeg (533.41 KB, 233 downloads)

Last edited by T-Doug; 10/09/2024 11:37 PM.

1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1560423 10/10/2024 11:30 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
Update 10/10/24
Took Mrs Daisy around the circle 4 times and no problems. Went through all the gears up and down and all is well. Backed it into the garage no problem.
Has a bit of play in the wheel but nothing too bad.

Now I’ll start ordering door glass and all the weather stripping.

It was a good day.
Doug


1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1560437 10/11/2024 1:43 AM
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,886
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,886
That’s fantastic Doug. I know how good it feels to finally get such a drive in. Did one similar myself on my ‘51 yesterday.

I saw your post about moving on yo the doors. 👍


~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
T-Doug #1561541 10/24/2024 1:06 AM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
Update 10/23/24.

Got the passenger side door off. It was a struggle. Bottom hinge was rusted pretty badly. But nothing a little Blaster couldn’t loosen up and I got it off. Just started sanding and almost done.

I’ve got a question on the door latch assembly that I’m putting in the interior forum.

Just taking little bites at a time.

Doug
Attachments
IMG_0199.jpeg (146.62 KB, 193 downloads)
IMG_0200.jpeg (177.65 KB, 193 downloads)


1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1561560 10/24/2024 12:14 PM
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
Look closely at the door panel where the hinge mounting bolts go through. On mine the sheet metal was deformed into the hinge bolt clearance leaving a slight ridge that grabs the hinge when you are trying to slide the door off.

Last edited by Phak1; 10/24/2024 1:26 PM. Reason: Typo

1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
T-Doug #1561730 10/26/2024 11:01 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
Update 10/26/24
Thanks for that info. I’ll check it out when I’m ready to put the door back on.

Got the door sanded and painted yesterday. Installed the wing vent and window regulator today. So progress.
Also got the first window guide rail on. That took a bit of persuasion but done and drying now.

Then discovered I’m missing the inside garnish trim. Sooo bought a used set off eBay just a few minutes ago. Means I’ll have to break out the paint again and do the top part of the door since I’ll paint the garnish sand like the rest of the interior.

Next up is gluing the felt in. That should be fun getting that black adhesive all over. lol
Then I can try to put the glass in. I’m not sure how get it in when all the weatherstripping in.

I’m open to some sage advice on that one
Attachments
IMG_2003.jpeg (215.38 KB, 164 downloads)
IMG_0202.jpeg (195.79 KB, 164 downloads)
image.jpg (371.66 KB, 164 downloads)

Last edited by T-Doug; 10/26/2024 11:04 PM.

1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1561732 10/26/2024 11:15 PM
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
You'll have to remove the wing window and its run channel to get the main glass in. The wing window goes in last.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
T-Doug #1561744 10/27/2024 1:23 AM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
Ugh. That was the hardest thing to get in. But thanks for the help.

Doug


1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1562900 11/09/2024 8:20 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
Update 11/9/24

Got the door taken apart and installed the glass and put everything back together.

Installed the door a couple days ago and adjusted it best I could manage. Still has a gap on the bottom but it shuts solid and doesn’t rattle so good for now. Has a gap in the inside garnish trim and door around the wing vent. It looks like it took a lick somewhere in the past and never fixed. But I’m moving forward.

Also found I didn’t install the seal right on the hinge side of the door. Had to use a long swab and spread some more adhesive then taped in place. Looks ok now but going to leave it taped up for another day. The high humidity is making things take longer to cure and harden up than normal.

Sanded the rear headliner retainer and painted it. Curing now. Same for the windshield retainer.

Door panels are ready. I’ll install the passenger door while working on the drivers door which is painted and waiting on the vent window which is on back order.

Got the drivers door glass seated in the tract and to go.

In the meantime I’ll start on the cutouts on the rubber floor mat and get that installed.

More later as I get things done.

Doug
Attachments
IMG_0211.jpeg (215.66 KB, 132 downloads)
IMG_0210.jpeg (312.28 KB, 132 downloads)
IMG_0212.jpeg (225.63 KB, 131 downloads)
IMG_0213.jpeg (222.36 KB, 124 downloads)

Last edited by T-Doug; 11/09/2024 8:24 PM.

1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1563055 11/12/2024 2:34 AM
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,808
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,808
How are you going to fix those holes?


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
T-Doug #1563311 11/15/2024 8:03 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
No idea Otto. For now it will be a conversation starter. Im just working to get it all put back together then I’ll see what comes to mind.

Also got the passenger side door back together. It’s not perfect or pretty but it works so good for now.
Attachments
IMG_0214.jpeg (271.04 KB, 176 downloads)


1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1563337 11/15/2024 11:50 PM
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,808
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,808
That passenger door looks great.

I'd take the driver door off and take it to a welder to see if he can fill the holes. You can do the body work after that and make it as good as the other one.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
T-Doug #1563339 11/15/2024 11:55 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
That is a great idea.
Doug


1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1563366 11/16/2024 12:39 PM
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,480
AD Addict & Tinkerer
AD Addict & Tinkerer
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,480
I would consider a body shop over just a welder. The welder may not have the experience from warping a door that already fits nicely. As Otto said, to save money, you can do the finish Bondo work.

Last edited by Phak1; 11/16/2024 12:41 PM. Reason: Typo

Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals

1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube
Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum
T-Doug #1563518 11/18/2024 7:55 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
Update 11/18/24
After wrestling with it for two days I got the weatherstipping on the windshield.. now waiting for rope and adhesive to come in to install it then move on to the rear window.

Doug


1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1564162 11/25/2024 10:54 PM
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 251
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 251
Looking good Doug. was just pondering those holes also. Passenger side looked solid. I wonder why somebody did that?


1957 Chevy 3200
Daily Driver
PS, A/C, Tilt column, Rebuilt 350, Rebuilt TH350, Reupholstered Bench Seat, sound proof/insulated, LED headlights/taillights/backup lights/interior courtesy lights.
Follow in the DITY
T-Doug #1564860 12/05/2024 8:51 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
Update 12/5/24

No clue on the holes. I hate being negative but whoever did it was an idiot. lol.

Got the rope in and did I wrong on first try. Rope at top. Second go round was easy and took five minutes. Yea for small victories.

Rear window is definitely a killer to get the lock bead in. Took three tries to get a good method down then took my time. So that’s done. I’m tired or I would seal both up today but will wait for the next decently warm day for that.

Now just need the drivers side wing vent to get in stock and I can drive it around the block again.

Next project is the inside door windlace. From comments I’ve seen that is going to be another patience tester. But getting that done will let me ge the ceiling in. That will get me to putting in the visors and rear view mirror.

Many thanks for the advice and encouragement along the way.

Doug
Attachments
IMG_0216.jpeg (192.98 KB, 91 downloads)
IMG_0217.jpeg (168.89 KB, 91 downloads)


1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1564943 12/06/2024 11:42 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
Update 12/6/24
Seems I installed the weatherstripping with the slits at the top instead of the bottom. So when warms up enough I’ll pull it and redo the weatherstripping and reinstall it right.


1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1564991 12/07/2024 6:00 PM
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 176
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 176
Doug, on your wing vents: are you rebuilding them, having them rebuilt or getting new ones?
Looking good!!

S2


Stewart2
1955.1 3100
Both Owner and P/U have lots of miles, lots of history and need LOTS of TLC
Jack of several trades and experiences; Master of none
T-Doug #1565081 12/08/2024 4:23 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
S2 I’m buying new. I looked at the process to refurb them and decided it was beyond my skill level and patience. That and not having a good setup for working on them. There was also the special tools needed.

I just ordered the drivers side vent assy off of eBay. It was back ordered from all the regular parts houses. So may be able to get the drivers side door done in a couple weeks.

D

Last edited by T-Doug; 12/08/2024 4:29 PM.

1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1565098 12/08/2024 9:02 PM
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Doug, not questioning your decision, but I considered buying new vent window assemblies till I saw the price. big_eek
I found another used pair and between the two sets, managed to rebuild one set to good shape. Jerry Kassis' videos were very helpful. Here and Here.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
T-Doug #1571525 02/28/2025 6:59 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
Update 2/28/25

Been a long winter but it warming up so back on the truck.

Both doors are installed now. Drivers side is giving me alignment fits but I’ll get it figured out later.

Got both inside windlace psycho installed. What a fight that was but history now. Little dance around the truck that day.

Got the rubber floor mat in. Let’s call this one a template for the next and final install.

Got it licensed last Thursday so just waiting on me now.

Installed the rear bumper today. That was a bit of a fight getting everything to line up but in the end I won.

That’s the last of the major parts. Next will be the head liner.

Cheers all around. Doug
Attachments
IMG_0230.jpeg (219.43 KB, 97 downloads)
IMG_0229.jpeg (205.27 KB, 97 downloads)
image.jpg (286.79 KB, 97 downloads)


1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1571564 03/01/2025 1:02 PM
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
Seems like you have hit a real milestone with making it street legal. Glad to hear that you are getting it on the road after all your hurdles.


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
T-Doug #1571571 03/01/2025 4:13 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
3/1/25

Rear bumper is painted. I’ll do some chores around the house then pull the paper off and take it out onto the driveway and wash it for the first time in a lot of years. Then a drive around the circle to make sure everything works. If everything checks out it will be time to go out for first real road test. Yippee

Doug
Attachments
IMG_0233.jpeg (195.32 KB, 69 downloads)

Last edited by T-Doug; 03/01/2025 4:15 PM.

1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1571636 03/02/2025 2:52 PM
Joined: Nov 2023
Posts: 283
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2023
Posts: 283
Good deal!
Need to get it and have some fun ! Wish our weather up north would cooperate.


Jeff
1964 Chevrolet K10 Fleetside
"A Kid's First Truck"
Follow in the DITY
1951 Chevrolet 3100
Follow his build in the Project Journals
1969 Chevrolet Camaro Convertible | 2020 Chevrolet Silverado | 3500 Duramax | 2021 GMC Sierra Denali
USAF Veteran 1983-1987 | PSP retired 1990- 2012
T-Doug #1571639 03/02/2025 3:21 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
Update 3/2/25

Drove around 10 miles yesterday for first time out. Everything worked fine. It seems like it ran better as I went. By the time I made it home it idled better and restarted on first crank.

Got a good bit of play in the steering which I’ll post on when it warms up and I can work on it.

As a side note I got the windshield wipers on and aligned perfectly. Works really good at an idle anyway.

Doug


1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
T-Doug #1575412 04/18/2025 10:23 PM
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
Update 4/16/25
Found that the alternator it came with wasn’t working. Dead battery a couple times told me that. So installed a new one. Still got a dead battery. Couldn’t find what was draining it so I installed a battery disconnect. Seems fine now.
Attachments
IMG_0235.jpeg (340.41 KB, 36 downloads)
IMG_0238.jpeg (267.8 KB, 37 downloads)


1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Phak1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0