The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (MaxStewart, MikeE, ShopRag, 59 fleet, DougH6100, Hotrod Lincoln), 141 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,128
Posts1,056,661
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Gallery
Next Gallery
Print Thread
#1474358 11/07/2022 10:19 PM
23 Images
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,291
Moderator for Tons o' Fun , Co-Moderator Driveline Forum
1954 Chevrolet 3604, 3/4 Ton

Here’s my 1954 3/4-ton truck that I purchased in 2014 from a fella in Springfield Missouri. I “found” this truck searching Craigs list.

What led me down this long road was the death of a close friend and the reminder that we are all just mortals, so I’d best do a few things before the bell rang.

I’d last owned a 1949 3/4-ton truck back in 1976 that I’d purchased from the estate of the original owner. It was fun to drive and fun to own but life got in the way, and it had to go. I had thought about that truck often over the years and every once in a while, I’d pick up a used car flyer and search through it or check out auto trader. When my friend died, I got serious.

So, I bought the truck and got my brother-in-law to help me go get it and get it home. The seller told me it was a Texas truck that he had bought it in 1990. He said he did a bit of work on it and parked it in one of his machine shed’s where it sat for all those years. Funny, he said all I’d have to do was put gas in it, start it up and drive it.

Well, it wasn’t quite that simple, but I did get it running and driving soon after and drove it on occasion until spring of 2017 and that’s when the real fun started.

A little history, regarding the Texas truck story…. the truck had very, very little rust. A whole lot of small-to-large dents, but the rust was minimal. While working on the heater ducts, I found a business card for the Texas Electric Service Company, Wink, Texas. That might explain the steel plate in the bottom of the bed, the custom large rear bumper with the huge Wilton vice, the dual side spare tire mounts and the cab spotlight. No way to know, but that’s about as close as I can get to history.

In July 2017 I started the “restoration / refurbishment.” It's not a show truck but I take solace in the fact that I did almost all of the work myself. I did need a machinist friend to do work on the driveshaft and door hinges, help assembling the bed and getting it onto the frame and help hanging the doors.

Five years and a few months later, more time and money than I ever imagined, and it's almost finished (are they ever?). I’m going to drive this truck …. whenever I want.

Just so ya’ll know, without the Stovebolt Forums, I wouldn’t have been able to do it. There are so many members who helped me along the way. Thank you all!

Sincerely,
Ron Miller
Northeast Missouri
Last edited by Dusty53; 07/21/2024 4:41 PM.

Ron - - Dusty53
1954 Chevy 3604
In the Gallery Forum
"You can't dance with the Devil and then wonder why you're still in Hell."
"They will forget what you've said, and they will forget what you have done but they will never forget the way you made them feel."
10 Comments
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,989
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,989
Great looking truck!


Rich
1947 Loadmaster
1947 Chev. Loadmaster
1959 Chev. Viking 40

Life is short--eat dessert first!
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,494
AD Addict & Tinkerer
AD Addict & Tinkerer
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,494
What a fabulous job you have done on this truck! The best part is you have done most of it by yourself! I think your spot on with the history of your truck.

I couldn’t have said it better, “Five years and a few months later, more time and money than I ever imagined, and its almost finished (are they ever?)”. I think that applys to most every bolter on this forum. Since I got my truck in February of 2019, my three year 15k project, turned into a five plus year and I already spent my budget.

Your writeup and pictures for the “Gallery” are exactly what we are looking for. Great job!

Last edited by Phak1; 12/23/2022 12:57 PM.

Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals

1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube
Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,291
Moderator for Tons o' Fun , Co-Moderator Driveline Forum
Moderator for Tons o' Fun , Co-Moderator Driveline Forum
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,291
Thank you Phil! I appreciate the kind words.


Ron - - Dusty53
1954 Chevy 3604
In the Gallery Forum
"You can't dance with the Devil and then wonder why you're still in Hell."
"They will forget what you've said, and they will forget what you have done but they will never forget the way you made them feel."
Joined: Dec 2019
Posts: 10
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2019
Posts: 10
Ron,

I've got a very similar 3/4 Ton 3600 which I bought back in 2001, also (a darker) green but doesn't have as nice a paint finish as yours.

I've also done a llot of mechanical and electrical work on mine to make it safer and more reliable to drive !

I hope to refinish mine someday soon when I have an enclosed shop to properly patch, weld, sand and prep it for a two-step paint process.

I refer to my old truck as "B.O.B." for Bucket Of Bolts !

Enjoy that truck and as Red Green would say, "Keep you stick on the ice ... and we're pulling for you".

Last edited by Peggy M; 04/18/2023 4:42 PM. Reason: fixed the greeting (from Phil to Ron) ;)

Thanks,

Black Bolter
Hillsboro, OR

"We are but a moments' sunlight fading in the grass" - The Youngbloods "Come Together" (circa 1967)
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,291
Moderator for Tons o' Fun , Co-Moderator Driveline Forum
Moderator for Tons o' Fun , Co-Moderator Driveline Forum
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,291
Black Bolter, I plan to enjoy it whenever possible. It's amazing how busy a retired fella can be. I suggest you keep driving your "B.O.B." every day that you can until its restoration time! One bit of advice ...take lots and lots of pictures of everything on your truck before you disassemble anything. I did , or thought I did, but i didn't take enough!

Ron


Ron - - Dusty53
1954 Chevy 3604
In the Gallery Forum
"You can't dance with the Devil and then wonder why you're still in Hell."
"They will forget what you've said, and they will forget what you have done but they will never forget the way you made them feel."
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 14
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 14
Dusty53 would you mind telling me the color used on your pickup? Is it a stock 1954 color?
Very hard to tell actual color in digital form but what you used looks like what i'm looking for.

Thanks
Dands


1949 Flatbed Dump
1954 1/2 ton project
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,291
Moderator for Tons o' Fun , Co-Moderator Driveline Forum
Moderator for Tons o' Fun , Co-Moderator Driveline Forum
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,291
Originally Posted by dands
Dusty53 would you mind telling me the color used on your pickup? Is it a stock 1954 color?

dands - the color is a custom paint mixed to match the original Ocean Green. I was unable to find a matching paint code that crosses to the original PPG 41375 paint code. I had my local supplier mix AkzoNobel U500 Single stage paint to match the beautiful Ocean Green paint that was still present under the front and rear fenders after I had removed them. PM me if you would like to have the paint code data ( mixing data ) .


Ron - - Dusty53
1954 Chevy 3604
In the Gallery Forum
"You can't dance with the Devil and then wonder why you're still in Hell."
"They will forget what you've said, and they will forget what you have done but they will never forget the way you made them feel."
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 14
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 14
Dusty53 - Thanks for sharing information, when i get closer to paint and I'm still stuck on stock green I'll get back with you for color info.
Your turck in beautiful, can't wait to get paint on mine. I've looked at so many colors an still not sure which one i will go with.

Thanks again.
Dands


1949 Flatbed Dump
1954 1/2 ton project
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,291
Moderator for Tons o' Fun , Co-Moderator Driveline Forum
Moderator for Tons o' Fun , Co-Moderator Driveline Forum
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,291
Originally Posted by dands
Dusty53 - Thanks for sharing information, when i get closer to paint and I'm still stuck on stock green I'll get back with you for color info.
Your turck in beautiful, can't wait to get paint on mine. I've looked at so many colors an still not sure which one i will go with.

Thanks again.
Dands

Hey Dands, your welcome! I had no idea what color I was going to use until those fenders came off. The Ocean Green spoke to me and I listened. Please keep us informed on your progress. Take a look around the site, you'll surely find some helpful information and ask questions, we are here to help.


Ron - - Dusty53
1954 Chevy 3604
In the Gallery Forum
"You can't dance with the Devil and then wonder why you're still in Hell."
"They will forget what you've said, and they will forget what you have done but they will never forget the way you made them feel."
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,089
Authorized Pest
Authorized Pest
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,089
Danny,

I pulled up your initial post in the Welcome Centre for those folks wanting to see *some* of your 1949 1.5-ton flatbed dump.

If you have more *story* in mind, with some pictures, add it to your original post in the WC, and we'll edit it a bit and move it over to the DITY Gallery.

wave

Last edited by Peggy M; 10/09/2023 8:23 PM.

~ Peggy M
1949 Chevrolet 3804
"Charlie" - The Stovebolt Flagship
In the Gallery
"We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give." -- Winston Churchill

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0