The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Hotrod Lincoln, Gray_Ghost, Uncles51, Hush, Hawkman, fonz8261), 195 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,172
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#142260 04/02/2004 6:17 PM
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 327
O
Oly
Offline
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 327
I have called my Insurance company and asked them about insurance on my 45 GMC COE and they don't cover trucks over one ton. I have tried elsewhere and received much the same story. I don't want to go "historical Plates" and Ins. because this is a working truck. I, in the past, have been able to keep the orignal "farm plates" on it because I always own over 40+ acres (that's what it takes for Farm Plates in Oregon)(you can even get the farm plates quarterly, but you have to have Insurance). I haven't had insurance on it in the last five years and my old insurance agent says they no longer insure a big truck. This "isn't" a commercial truck so I don't want to go that route either. So, does anyone else have their big truck licensed as a "farm truck" and have Ins. on it? If so what darn company will insure it?


Oly in Oregon

Rest in Peace

1945 GMC COE Victory Truck
1953 Willys CJ3B
1955 Chevy 1st series 3/4-ton
1958 WIFE Last series

Never say "Whoa" in a mud hole
#142261 04/02/2004 11:38 PM
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
I've got my 2 big trucks insured under another trucks full coverage policy. It's a limitted use policy which more or less means they're not my primary means of transportation. They're also covered for a certain dollar amount, liability and no/uninsured motorist. These rider policies cost me less than $20.00 per every six months. I think your agent is being lazy or just unwilling to help. I've never heard of a size restriction.
Hope this helps,
Scott


Scott Ward

2 1948 1.5-ton Loadmasters
The red one and The snow pusher
1 1950 3100
1 1955.1 Chevy 6500
1 1954 Chevy 6500 2-Ton
1 1955 1st Series COE 5700
1 1963 K20 (454)
1 1964 C10 (350)
1 1951 1.5-ton Dump Truck
1953 and a 1956 Ford F800

Raising a teenager is like trying to nail Jello to a tree!
#142262 04/03/2004 6:15 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Oly, I'm not certain but you might try the National Historical Truck Society for leads.

#142263 04/03/2004 9:48 PM
Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 1,177
Red dot, center of chest ...
Red dot, center of chest ...
Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 1,177
Oly, any independent insurance agent should be able to help you find insurance for the truck.


Paul Schmehl CI 6
geek@stovebolt.com
Stovebolt Staff: Geek
#142264 04/04/2004 12:30 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have two big trucks insured with my regular old auto insurance carrier. State Farm

They also insure a couple of my older half tons and a '55 Buick as classic vehicles with some restrictions on how they can be used - but all in all, very good and inexpensive insurance.

#142265 04/04/2004 1:27 AM
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
J
24601
24601
J Offline
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
Oly,
I have to echo Paul and Ken -- I asked my local independent insurance agent and he got me a pretty decent policy with Progressive for my Cornbinder dump truck that is really more of a farm truck than a collector truck (I've never taken it to a show, that's for sure!).

Good luck!
John


~ John

A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.

1949 Chevrolet 3804
In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum
1973 IH 1310 Dump
1963 Kaiser M38A1
2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"
2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
#142266 04/04/2004 2:29 AM
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 51
G
Member
Member
G Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 51
Oly,
I just insured my 37 1 1/2 ton this past month through JC Taylor antique auto insurance. I was able to use the regular N.Y. truck license plate and not go the historical/antique plate route. The cost for the year was about $50 but this is my 3rd vehicle insured with them. I think that everyone is right that your agent didn't want to spend a little time doing his/her homework!

#142267 04/05/2004 3:15 AM
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 332
G
Big Bolt Shop Curmudgeon
Big Bolt Shop Curmudgeon
G Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 332
I have 3 vehicles, including the 1-1/2 ton, insured with State Farm.


Drivin' down a 2 lane country road in a stovebolt.....cowboy, it don't get no better than this!

1946 1-1/2 ton Chevy
"Ol Blue", or "THE BIG 'UN"
#142268 04/05/2004 4:54 AM
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
W
Socket Breaker
Socket Breaker
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
I don't have a big 'bolt - but it reads like your insurance guy is either lazy, incompetent or just doesn't want to help you.

I have my '65 c10 insured with state farm. Last payment was 203 dollars and change for six months.

That is 50/100 for bodily injury and damage... 25 k for unisnured motorist or whatever...

-W

#142269 04/12/2004 8:26 PM
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 543
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 543
Hagerty's. Great service, super rates, but limited use & mileage.

USAA had no problem taking my money for a medium-duty truck. They'll jack you around when it comes to a loss, so watch yourself! (available to any active, retired, reserve, or national guard military member or family member)


Pessimist - Sees glass as half-empty. Optimist - Sees glass as half-full. Gov't- Sees glass and takes it from you because you have a glass.
Political Correctness: A philosophical belief system bereft of common sense and logic, that supports and rewards ignorance and stupidity.

#142270 04/14/2004 2:10 AM
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 587
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 587
My 54 was with Allstate, same as all my vehicles. It was listed as a 54 Surburban, closest he could find to it. He said no problems will occur as long as the VIN number is the one listed on policy! Never had to test that, but ran for 8yrs that way! Now, I've sold it, wahhahaaha! I also insure my GMC/Isuzu flat bed there. IT's called a GMC long bed in it's description.


G.L. Grumpy's
Old Iron Ranch
Huntington, IN 46750


MM R tractor, Speedex
and Power King tractors

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0