The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Gray_Ghost, Otto Skorzeny, 1 invisible), 99 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,100
Posts1,056,513
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#138523 06/29/2007 2:46 PM
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 191
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 191
Still fighting with the 305 in my 56 TF. Trying to keep it from stalling when placed in gear. Thought I had it a few days ago with a timing adjustment, but this morning, no go. I'm also experiencing a lot of smoke from the breather cap on the valve cover. Seems like exhaust fumes, but not certain. Surely, this can't be normal. Any ideas? :confused:

#138524 06/29/2007 3:36 PM
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
Sounds like blow-by-a lot of miles on the engine? PCV system working?


My \'64\'s in the Gallery
Pictures in my Photobucket
1964 C10 Custom Cab 350/700R4
1964 Suburban 350/700R4
1979 Ford F350 4x4 400/c6
#138525 06/29/2007 3:47 PM
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 191
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 191
Well, the PCV valve rattles OK, but is covered in oil. Have not run a compression check. I know I should, but I'm dreading the results. Definitely High crankcase pressure. Oil is leaking at distributer hole, and at the top of the timing chain cover. I'm kicking myself now for listening to the guy I got the engine from. Said it was in great condition, just had a flat lobe on the cam, but everything else was fine. I did mic the cylinders and very little wear. Should have gone ahead and done the rings THEN! I'm so disgusted right now, that I'd just as soon find a good 350 or 327 and replce the thing! Anyone nearby Shreveport got a good SBC for sale?

#138526 06/30/2007 9:02 AM
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,703
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,703
I would run a compression test on the cylendars , an like you said you may not like the results ...I have a ? what carb ya runnin on your engine ?


1952 Chevy Shortbed

Photos in Photobucket

If It Aint Broke Fix It Till It Is!
#138527 06/30/2007 12:15 PM
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 191
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 191
SW_Radial:

Quadrajet.

#138528 07/02/2007 5:25 AM
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,703
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,703
check your float adjustment ...it may be a bit high lettin fuel to run in when runnin you cant see ..?


1952 Chevy Shortbed

Photos in Photobucket

If It Aint Broke Fix It Till It Is!
#138529 07/02/2007 9:49 PM
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 191
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 191
Ran a compression check. Arrrgh! 65-80 on all cylinders. Time for a new engine!

#138530 07/03/2007 8:56 AM
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,703
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,703
Bummer Clint !


1952 Chevy Shortbed

Photos in Photobucket

If It Aint Broke Fix It Till It Is!
#138531 07/03/2007 1:39 PM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
Bring the motor back to the guy and drop it on his foot.

#138532 07/03/2007 2:05 PM
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 191
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 191
Quote
Originally posted by Builder:
Bring the motor back to the guy and drop it on his foot.
I would, but he's two hours drive away. If gas were still $0.59/gal --- but not at $2.80! wink

#138533 07/03/2007 3:31 PM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
Invite him over for a beer to show off your (his) motor. Then drop it on his foot.

#138534 07/03/2007 3:33 PM
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 191
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 191
Quote
Originally posted by Builder:
Invite him over for a beer to show off your (his) motor. Then drop it on his foot.
Original and devious! I like it -- but as a pastor, I must repent from such fleshly desires. LOL!

#138535 07/03/2007 9:19 PM
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
Pastors can always resort to prayer. grin

#138536 07/06/2007 4:42 AM
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,444
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,444
call him on the phone and say, DUDE, you sold me a BUM engine... you need to bring me another one asap!!


Another quality post.
Real Trucks Rattle
HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
#138537 07/06/2007 4:52 PM
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,464
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,464
You could remind him that God hates a lying tongue!! Sorry about the sick 350. Take an extra V-8 love offering this Sunday and buy a crate motor! ??


Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0