Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,130 Posts1,056,369 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Mar 2011 Posts: 940 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2011 Posts: 940 | I'm wrapping up my 261 build for my '51 3100 and am looking for recommendations on radiators. I'll be using a 235 fan on a short shaft water pump. A stock radiator works but since the current needs replacing I was going to try to find something that bolts in and offers improvement over stock while keeping a somewhat stock-ish top tank look. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2014 Posts: 4,501 Moderator, Electrical Bay | | Moderator, Electrical Bay Joined: Mar 2014 Posts: 4,501 | Don't know about the stock-ish top tank look but I've been using an aluminum 3 core radiator I bought from a seller using Amazon as his sales platform and an aluminum shroud/Spal 2070 cfm fan & adjustable thermostat combination made by Old Air Products (in Ft. Worth) and it has been excellent. You can spend a lot more for a radiator, but I don't know why you would. https://www.oldairproducts.com/product/50-205185-16shp-universal-fit-fan-shroud-kit Personally, I'd get rid of that stock fan...especially if you're at all considering adding A/C. I did and am very happy. The water pump should last longer without having to spin a crude and probably imbalanced fan around and it is quieter and has less vibration. As you know we have very hot summers and often slow moving traffic here in DFW.
~ Jon 1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2018 Posts: 351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2018 Posts: 351 | Highly recommend US Radiator. Stamped top, and options for aluminum or copper/brass, and they also offer different units for engine swaps, etc. I had previously used a nice aluminum radiator from Auto City Classics in a '53 Bel Air (stamped top, so looks OK, lifetime warranty), but it was not a bolt in with the stock 235, and took a little work to relocate 1/2"-3/4" forward to clear the fan. The US Radiator products are bolt in. I sourced mine through Walton Fabrication. Todd is easy to work with, and gets considerably better (lower) than list pricing.
Last edited by drdoug; 07/22/2020 12:37 AM.
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2011 Posts: 940 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2011 Posts: 940 | Don't know about the stock-ish top tank look but I've been using an aluminum 3 core radiator I bought from a seller using Amazon as his sales platform and an aluminum shroud/Spal 2070 cfm fan & adjustable thermostat combination made by Old Air Products (in Ft. Worth) and it has been excellent. You can spend a lot more for a radiator, but I don't know why you would. https://www.oldairproducts.com/product/50-205185-16shp-universal-fit-fan-shroud-kit Personally, I'd get rid of that stock fan...especially if you're at all considering adding A/C. I did and am very happy. The water pump should last longer without having to spin a crude and probably imbalanced fan around and it is quieter and has less vibration. As you know we have very hot summers and often slow moving traffic here in DFW. I thought about using an electric fan but I'd set it up as a pusher on the outside. Other than being painted pontiac blue metallic, my build has a very '50s period correct look to it. That said, I'm definitely making a shroud no matter what I use. I'm not a fan (pun intended) of the welded top tank. Highly recommend US Radiator. Stamped top, and options for aluminum or copper/brass, and they also offer different units for engine swaps, etc. I had previously used a nice aluminum radiator from Auto City Classics in a '53 Bel Air (stamped top, so looks OK, lifetime warranty), but it was not a bolt in with the stock 235, and took a little work to relocate 1/2"-3/4" forward to clear the fan. The US Radiator products are bolt in. I sourced mine through Walton Fabrication. Todd is easy to work with, and gets considerably better (lower) than list pricing. So I saw the stock looking stamped tank option from US Rad/Desert Cooler but I wasn't sure about the quality. I read a lot of reviews that said the craftsmanship was sub par and they leaked from vibration shortly after being installed. However, I do like that they are aluminum and that they are a two row w oversized tubes. You haven't had any issues w it? | | | | | Joined: Dec 2008 Posts: 1,922 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2008 Posts: 1,922 | Pusher fan is a last resort. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2018 Posts: 351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2018 Posts: 351 | Blue', I got the copper/brass "standard core" US Radiator unit, and no issues to date. I've also heard good things from folks who have run the aluminum radiators, but no direct experience.
FWIW, I would not recommend an eFan for a stock setup. These engines tend to run cool if all is good mechanically, and in any event, the stock fan will move more air than an eFan (at some expense in power loss, of course). If you decide to go eFan, recommend SPAL fans, pull style. Panic has it right, pusher fan is a last resort since they block airflow when cruising (when no fan is needed for sufficient airflow). Hope that all makes sense.
Doug | | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall | | Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 | Got my Walker couple years ago for $200 bucks and came with a nice radiator cap. (its aluminum.) my 261 can sit in my shop and idle for a long time and never run hot. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2014 Posts: 4,501 Moderator, Electrical Bay | | Moderator, Electrical Bay Joined: Mar 2014 Posts: 4,501 | Pusher fan is a last resort. Useful for cooling an A/C condenser in conjunction with a puller on the back side of radiator. Puller (for radiator) cycles on/off with thermostat as needed, pusher for condenser cooling is on anytime compressor cycles or as dictated by 3 wire pressure switch so as to keep the psi of A/C system within reason and add life to it. If your condenser doesn't get enough air, the pressure will get too high and damage things...expensive things. Adding a pusher is a cheap and smart way to avoid trouble.
~ Jon 1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2011 Posts: 940 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2011 Posts: 940 | Pusher fan is a last resort. Agreed. Blue', I got the copper/brass "standard core" US Radiator unit, and no issues to date. I've also heard good things from folks who have run the aluminum radiators, but no direct experience.
FWIW, I would not recommend an eFan for a stock setup. These engines tend to run cool if all is good mechanically, and in any event, the stock fan will move more air than an eFan (at some expense in power loss, of course). If you decide to go eFan, recommend SPAL fans, pull style. Panic has it right, pusher fan is a last resort since they block airflow when cruising (when no fan is needed for sufficient airflow). Hope that all makes sense.
Doug Thanks for the reply Doug. I would expect the quality to be similar. Got my Walker couple years ago for $200 bucks and came with a nice radiator cap. (its aluminum.) my 261 can sit in my shop and idle for a long time and never run hot. I really like the Walkers. Their tank is the only non-stamped one I like. $200 is a steal! Which model do you have? Useful for cooling an A/C condenser... No AC here. I got wing windows. lol. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | If you might be considering changing the radiator/etc, you might want to otherwise consider installing Pre 68 Dave’s water pump relocation plate. The cooling “efficiency” will be much better with the fan located centered on the radiator. http://chev235guy.blogspot.com/2013/08/1955-62-water-pump-relocation-adapter.html | | | | | Joined: Jan 2013 Posts: 1,518 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2013 Posts: 1,518 | I have the original radiator in my 53, meant for a 216, now with the 261 in it, it will spew coolant with a 4lb cap and 50/50 antifreeze after traveling a good while then idling for a prolonged time in 80+ temps. I might try a pusher fan, it will conceal nicely. Thinking it would be nice also to have it re-cored for a 4 cores too. Like to keep the stock tanks. But first I will install a puke tank to catch the coolant. 1953 Chevrolet 3100261 cu inch, sm420, 3.55 rear, torque tube still,omaha orange, still 6 volt, RPO green glass, side carrier spare, all done In the DITY GalleryVideo of the 261 running1964 GMC 1000305 Big Block V6, sm420, the next cab off restoration
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2011 Posts: 940 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2011 Posts: 940 | Too far along at this point to drill into the block again so I'm using a new short shaft pump designed for the '56 engine. I will also be using a custom made shroud that should help negate the offset positioning of the fan. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2013 Posts: 1,518 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2013 Posts: 1,518 | Yup, I have Dave's relocation adaptor so the fan sits nicely. Maybe I should look for the bigger diameter balancer to speed the water pump up?
Last edited by sstock; 07/23/2020 9:50 PM.
1953 Chevrolet 3100261 cu inch, sm420, 3.55 rear, torque tube still,omaha orange, still 6 volt, RPO green glass, side carrier spare, all done In the DITY GalleryVideo of the 261 running1964 GMC 1000305 Big Block V6, sm420, the next cab off restoration
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2014 Posts: 892 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2014 Posts: 892 | One can use factory parts with the late water pump. Here's what I did: found a 6-blade truck fan in a wrecking yard mounted to a 327 V8. Took the fan and water pump pulley home measured the difference in the offset between the V8 pulley and the 6-cylinder pulley. Bought a *new* water pump and pressed the flange further onto the pump shaft by the difference between the pulleys. Already had a four-row radiator out of a 2-ton AD so I modified its mounting flange to drop the radiator enough so the bigger fan would clear the lower radiator hose AND I mounted it on the front side of the radiator hoop using only three screws not six. It is possible to do this without putting the radiator in front of the hoop but you will skin your knuckles every time you take the fan bolts out, which you will have to do to change the belt(s). It's been like that for 25 years and never overheats, even in hot weather pulling a camper in the mountains.
Later I installed air conditioning using one of Patrick's bracket kits. I found that one belt would not drive all the accessories. Belts lasted about 5,000 miles tops. So I modified the bracket setup to accommodate a two-shiv crank pulley from an outfit in California and a two-shiv water pump pulley for Chev V8, specified for A/C. It's 10% smaller than non AC. So now I have two belts to drive the A/C and water pump/fan. Still need two belts to drive the alternator. That belt slips under heavy load. I'll have to modify that bracket. There are better brackets from which to start, like from the hot rod AC suppliers. 1951 3800 1-ton"Earning its keep from the get-go"In the DITY Gallery1962 261 (w/cam, Fenton headers, 2 carbs, MSD ign.), SM420 & Brown-Lipe 6231A 3spd aux. trans, stock axles & brakes. Owned since 1971. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 2,074 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 2,074 | My '46 261 and Vintage Air, using the stock radiator out of a 2 ton, nice and thick, no troubles over several years. Also have a pusher fan that I don't switch on unless in traffic or really hot days. Has the low water pump, had to whittle fan down to clear everything, would have used pre68Dave's piece had I know about it back then, Think I restored this truck about 1990, been making changes all along the way. | | | | | Joined: Nov 1995 Posts: 5,723 24601 | | 24601 Joined: Nov 1995 Posts: 5,723 | FWIW, I am running the four-row repro radiator from Jim Carter's in my truck with a 261. Stock water pump in the correct position and the original fan. I'm quite pleased with it. I found an NOS overflow tank at Winchester one year so I'm not sure if it burps much.
~ John A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult. 1949 Chevrolet 3804In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum1973 IH 1310 Dump1963 Kaiser M38A12001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley) | | | | | Joined: Mar 2011 Posts: 940 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2011 Posts: 940 | FWIW, I am running the four-row repro radiator from Jim Carter's in my truck with a 261. Stock water pump in the correct position and the original fan. I'm quite pleased with it. I found an NOS overflow tank at Winchester one year so I'm not sure if it burps much. "Stock water pump and the original fan" ...stock for the 261 or for your '49 truck? I plan on installing an overflow tank too. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2009 Posts: 296 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2009 Posts: 296 | I am running a 216 radiator and 216 fan on my 261 (with adapter plate to relocate the water pump), and I have run my truck in 100 degree temps, idling at stop lights, etc. and no problems yet. I bought the radiator 5 years ago from Jim Carter.
-Patrick 1953 Chevrolet 3100 261 / 4-speed / 4:11 / Commercial Red
| | |
| |