The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (RdsLessTaken, TUTS 59, Jay R, Otto Skorzeny, 68ironhead, Phak1, 1 invisible), 99 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,136
Posts1,056,430
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 141
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 141
Ok, I know where I can pick up a big-window '65 cab; has anyone ever cut out a big window insert, and put it in a small window cab? Reason I ask is, my replacement cab is in very good shape, but it's a small window. The big window cab is in pretty rough shape except for the rear where the window is housed.

Anyone ever done this, and how difficult was it? Would you advise it to anyone with some experience with bodywork? Anything special I need to know about?

Thanks in advance!


Mike from Alabama
My truck on Stovebolt
My website
Why do we drive on a parkway, and park on a driveway?
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 29
6
New Guy
New Guy
6 Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 29
I can't help you on your window Mike, but I just wanted to say I liked your story and your truck. I am in the middle of my own similar project a 63 stepside. It's all apart and I have the frame almost done and ready to start putting things back on instead of taking them off. Good luck, I look forward to more pics of your truck as it comes along.

Rick

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 128
L
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
L Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 128
I saw a website where they did this... well actually two. The first one did the traditional, do it as you think it should be done route... was a lot of work. The second cut the entire sheetmetal around the window and tack welded it in place as one piece... may be easier in the long run. I'll post them if I can find them back.

Lee


-----------
1965 Chevy C-10 Gallery page
My Chevy truck pages more info and pictures!
1961 Studebaker Hawk
1962 Shasta 16' AirFlyte Travel Trailer
1941 Case Model S tractor
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 96
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 96
classic trucks did it on a 64
heres the link; web page


it's not old it's "aged to perfection"
http://brent5631.myphotoalbum.com/
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
I've done it. You need to remove the complete inner panel from each truck and install the large window panel into the small window truck. All the differences between the two is in the inner panel, other than the need to cut the window opening bigger.
Scott


Scott Ward

2 1948 1.5-ton Loadmasters
The red one and The snow pusher
1 1950 3100
1 1955.1 Chevy 6500
1 1954 Chevy 6500 2-Ton
1 1955 1st Series COE 5700
1 1963 K20 (454)
1 1964 C10 (350)
1 1951 1.5-ton Dump Truck
1953 and a 1956 Ford F800

Raising a teenager is like trying to nail Jello to a tree!
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 141
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 141
Quote
Originally posted by brent563100:
classic trucks did it on a 64
MAN, that looks like alot of work!
Quote
Originally posted by 48bigtrucks:
I've done it. You need to remove the complete inner panel from each truck.....
Scott
I think I may go for this method; it may be a bit more work, but I'd rather deal with more time spent taking the whole inner panel out than having to put in patch panels....don't think I'm that good at bodywork yet.
Quote
Originally posted by 63StepSide:
I just wanted to say I liked your story and your truck; I look forward to more pics of your truck as it comes along
Rick
Rick, glad you liked it. I haven't done a whole lot to update the website, but I'm getting my house ready to sell, and when we build the new house, a 40'x50' shop will be built at the same time, so hopefully I'll have plenty to post! The youngest boy is almost 3 now.....I've got to get going if I'm gonna make the first boy's graduation!

Thanks for the replies, guys! If I decide to do it, I'll be sure to document it!


Mike from Alabama
My truck on Stovebolt
My website
Why do we drive on a parkway, and park on a driveway?

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0