The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
10 members (68ironhead, Wally / Montana, 3B, Gdads51, Bill Hanlon, Gray_Ghost, Rusted Nut, Shade Baby, Pre '68 Dave, Otto Skorzeny), 162 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,104
Posts1,056,197
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#120766 06/04/2006 9:44 PM
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
Im looking for a good source on doing body work. Id like to do some if not all the dent repairs on my 72'.

Any good places to look? Any good books? Im highly against using body fillers and want to do a good job.

Most of the big round dents are easy but some of them on my cab look like someone took the claw end of a hammer and hit beat the hell out of her. Not large dents but small and deep.

Appreciate the help, Jeff


My 1953 Chevrolet
1947.1 Gallery
1972 C-10 1/2 Ton & 1972 C-30 1 Ton
#120767 06/04/2006 10:36 PM
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
Good body work is a skill that takes a lot of practice. I've seen a lot of do-it-yourselfers that have "fixed" the body of their vehicles. I've never seen even one that wasn't wavy when painted. You have some serious stretching it sounds like which takes skill to fix correctly. I understand your desire to do the work yourself but if you can afford it I would recommend you let a pro do it. Good Luck.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
#120768 06/05/2006 12:08 AM
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 804
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 804
Jeff, this comes from a guy who started 30 years ago doing his own body work in high school and went on be do it for living. I can "Metal finish" (no body filler) and also teach the body repair trade to others.

First, repairing body damage with no filler is very possible, but not without a LOT of practice. There are no magic books, videos or anything like that will make you a skilled craftsmen over night.

There is nothing at all with using body filler. 99.99% of the cars or trucks at a rod show have some on them, PERIOD. 99.99% of cars that will go thru a collision body shop will leave with some on them, PERIOD. If used properly it WILL outlast you and me. We will be dead and gone and the filler will still be on your truck, no one the wiser. If used anywhere near it will not fail, crack, pop off, what ever goofy thing you have likely heard. Those "old husbands tales" are simply not true.

There are a ton of sources for doing body work, be it with filler or fillerless.

To start, check out some stuff I have writen on the "Basics" at http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=74560

For some metal finishing there is places like metalmeet.com,http://www.fournierenterprises.com/index.html, http://www.ghiaspecialties.com/ and http://www.covell.biz/ are a few sources.

Check with John at Ghiaspecialties first. He has some dvds I beleive and some great write ups he can link you to.

Brian


1948 Chevy Pickup
Chopped and sectioned
owned since 1974 when I was 15.
#120769 06/05/2006 12:29 AM
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
Im not looking for perfection. Id like to do the best I can myself and have a pro do the rest. Id just like to learn what I can. I dont want to do it for a living just recreation.

Im not against using fillers, just not like some DIY's throwing it on with a trowel. And Id like to know what types to use and the best way to apply them. Im leery cause Ive seen what happens when there not done right, pretty scary... eek

Brian thanks for the links Ill check them out.
Jeff


My 1953 Chevrolet
1947.1 Gallery
1972 C-10 1/2 Ton & 1972 C-30 1 Ton
#120770 06/05/2006 2:25 AM
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 804
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 804
Read the "Basics" on plastic filler and large flat panel dents. That would be a good start.

Like I said, anywhere near "right" (and there are TONS of "right" ways to do it) using a quality product, it WILL out last you and I.

Evercoat fillers are one of the best, that is what I use. RAGE for a "regular" filler is pretty hard to beat. Then "Metal Glaze" or the super minor and skim coat applications. It is a "polyester putty" and basically a "bondo" like product that has the talc finer ground so it spreads and sands easier.

Brian


1948 Chevy Pickup
Chopped and sectioned
owned since 1974 when I was 15.
#120771 06/05/2006 2:39 AM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 641
3
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
3 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 641
sometimes working the metal will make it look worse then if you just fill with a filler but try and knock the metal out to keep the filler as thin as possible the more you do it the better you will get good luck

#120772 06/05/2006 5:18 PM
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 887
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 887
I wish I could afford to have a pro do the body work! Unfortunately, I'm on a strict budget with the truck so I want to do as good a job as I can for now and then let a pro handle it when I've saved up five or six grand to get it done right. Also, my truck is a daily driver so I can't afford to have it out of service at a body shop for 3-6 months for body work and paint. So, I'm left with working on it myself on the weekends and wishing I had more practice!


'51 Chevy 1/2 ton w/'62 261, HEI, offy, fentons, dual carter/webbers, t-5 & 12 bolt posi
#120773 06/05/2006 9:11 PM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
Heck, I hate body work. That's why patina is so popular!

#120774 06/06/2006 12:35 AM
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 887
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 887
Builder- That's what I'm gonna do! Fix the dents as well as I can and then paint it with a faux aged patina.

Just got the 11/03 streetrodder magazine article about how to do the patina finish. They started with red primer in the spots where the paint usually wears through (or the whole thing if you have time), then painted the whole truck with flat black (they used John Deere Blitz Black), then scuff the black through to red with a 3-M pad, then topcoat with BRUSHES using paint and flattening agent. Next scuff through the top coat in places the paint usually wears (ie where your arm would wear outside the window). Next airbrush some oxidation stains and rust stains around the doorhandles, hinges, louvers, bolts, and other common spots for water normally runs off the body. (I'll do this to the dents that I don't perfecty fix...)

The guys who the article is about will do a professional fauxtina finish at their shop if you want- Dan or Joshua Shaw 513-575-3535


'51 Chevy 1/2 ton w/'62 261, HEI, offy, fentons, dual carter/webbers, t-5 & 12 bolt posi
#120775 06/07/2006 1:22 PM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
So, what do you do to simulate rust?

#120776 06/07/2006 6:59 PM
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
Leave it in the rain??? wink grin grin grin

Brian, The ability to metal finish is indeed a rare skill this day and age. I haven't seen or heard of anyone metal finishing in years. Please do pass that skill on and thanks.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
#120777 06/08/2006 4:09 PM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
I agree with Tiny,

I had a tutor on metal work and lead fill when I was a kid. I kind of had the knack for it, but it was something I never pursued. It is hard to be satisfied with other bodymen after that, and the ones who do such nice metal finish are very expensive and hard to find.

#120778 06/10/2006 5:23 AM
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 17
F
Junior Member
Junior Member
F Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 17
I think the best method for fixing small dents is taking a bathroom plunger and getting it wet and then put it on dent and pull out it works great on surface dents.


Smoke Em if You Got Em


RYAN
#120779 06/11/2006 1:08 AM
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 804
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 804
Guys, there are PLENTY of people out there who teach metal finishing. I do small stuff with a method taught to me by one of my mentors as a kid.

Here is an article on the subject...
http://www.autobodystore.com/ms13.htm

I use this very procedure most every day at work on small dents and dings on new parts we get in the shop. It is really pretty amazing and easy once you get the hang of it.

Larger dents can be done with a shrinking disc. If you click on the like to Giha Specialties in my first post he sells discs and videos I think. He even has some videos on this web site. John also teaches classes.

Brian


1948 Chevy Pickup
Chopped and sectioned
owned since 1974 when I was 15.

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0