The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (R&S 51 GMC, Wayne67vert, Peggy M, baldeagle, delky), 118 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,125
Posts1,056,338
Members48,440
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 250
E
'Bolter
'Bolter
E Offline
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 250
What's the best way to seat the race in the hub?
The race is just about 1/8" smaller diameter than 2" plumbing pipe OD, so I was thinking about modifying a short piece of pipe to tap the race into place.
Would a brass drift be a better or easier method? How about using length of all thread to pull it into place? Or should I just pay the machine shop to do it?
Probably not necessary to mention that I'm strictly an amateur back yard mechanic constantly learning new skills!
Thanks, as always. Jim



Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Brass drift will do just fine. Just be sure to move around the edge frequently. Been done that way in driveways all over the world.
secret


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 250
E
'Bolter
'Bolter
E Offline
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 250
Thanks Martin! I've needed an excuse to buy yet another tool that somehow I don't already have. Off to town in the morning! Jim

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
I've used a piece of 2x4 many times to drive it down even with the hub and then use a socket to tap it on down a little....now that I have two nickels to rub together there is a seal/bearing kit out there that is not expensive....depending on how much "BRASS" is selling for these days you may want to look at the kit.



1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,418
ODSS Lawman
ODSS Lawman
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,418
2x4


SWEET
Sergeant At Arms: Old Dominion Stovebolt Society
BUNS?!?!?!Where we're going, we don't need no buns.....
1950 GMC 450
1951 Chevy 1/2-Ton
The GreenMachine
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 250
E
'Bolter
'Bolter
E Offline
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 250
Good advice on looking at a seal/bearing kit. I'll see what I can find when I go looking for a drift. Wouldn't hurt to have both.

Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 250
E
'Bolter
'Bolter
E Offline
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 250
Sweet, you got to love Stovebolt. I was thinking about a piece of plastic pipe, a brass drift was recommended, a fancy seal/ bearing kit sounded good and now just an old 2x4. Can't get much lower tech than that!

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,809
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,809
Grind a few thousandths off the outside diameter of the old race and use it as a driver. I use a disc sander for that little operation. It's the best way to get a really good fit. A big socket can be used to extend the driver enough to prevent mashed fingers.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,063
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,063
x2 on Jerry's idea. I do that all the time, then keep one I ground down in a drawer.


Mike
1955 Chevy 6400 ex-flatbed (no bed now!) sold September 2023
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1958 Chevy 6400 flatbed W/dump
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1959 Chevy Suburban Owned for almost 20 years, Daily Driver -- sold May 2016
In the Stovebolt Gallery

Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 250
E
'Bolter
'Bolter
E Offline
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 250
Hi Jerry & Mike, I guess that puts truth to the old adage about skinning cats!


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0