The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 108 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,292
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 393
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 393
I posted on Interiors but not sure if that is the right place. I can't get the door to open on my '47 AD. The key moves to lock and unlock the mechanism but the latch won't allow the door to open. Is there a way to break in (without breaking the window)? A tow truck driver tried without success. Thanks for any suggestions.


It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to paint it.
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
around here someone would unlock that sucker in seconds..
are you saying both doors are locked..


Redryder pix
My Hotrod
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."
I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option.

Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 393
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 393
Yes, both doors are locked.


It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to paint it.
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,281
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,281
Tow truck driver without a slim Jim? Blasphemy!


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Will a slim jim work?

Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 393
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 393
The driver tried but I don't think it worked due to the design of the door latch system. The connector between the handle and the latch is in a recess behind the door panel.


It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to paint it.
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Rusty,

I do not know if a slim jim would work.
I was asking a general question.

Maybe 52Carl knows if one would work?

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
take out the back window.....


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,038
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,038
Rusty,
Try to access the interior through the battery opening. I have heard of a person unlatching the battery door from below, and with a stick push the passenger door handle back, off the lock position.
Kent


1937 Chevy 1/2 ton
1942 Chevy 1/2 ton
1947 Diamond T Model 509
1951 Chevy 1/2 ton
1950 Chevy COE Model 5700 ~ "Barney" ~ And more pix
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,987
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,987
As Kent said, if there is any way you can reach the door handle itself, then you just need to move it to unlock the door.


Rich
1947 Loadmaster
1947 Chev. Loadmaster
1959 Chev. Viking 40

Life is short--eat dessert first!
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 393
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 393
Thanks for the ideas. I ended up doing what Alvin suggested. The back window weather strip was old and hard and was on the 'to do' list (although it was low on the list). Will now see what the issue is with the latch mechanism and fix/replace and put in a new window rubber.


It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to paint it.
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
Originally Posted by Rusty Shackleford
Thanks for the ideas. I ended up doing what Alvin suggested. The back window weather strip was old and hard and was on the 'to do' list (although it was low on the list).

So did you just cut the old rubber?


1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in Scotland
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr.
I've definately got this truck thing in my blood ... my DNA sequence has torque settings
"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
We have done several driver side outside key locks on the 47-51 and I do not believe a slim jim would work. If the designers of the AD door latches were still alive they should be sent to prison. Once open I wouldn't close them again till they had bear claw latches (Trique Latch). Many an AD door has popped open while underway so the very minimum needed for kids is a good seat belt. The picture shows your type latch. On the right side is a part with a series of notches in it and just above it is a lever (pawl)that is bent at a right angle which drops into a notch to latch. There's really no way for a slim jim to hook under the pawl to release it. Wouldn't you know it, you asked the time and got the history of clock making.

http://s32.photobucket.com/user/coilover/media/doorlock004.jpg.html


Evan
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
I am replying here for the exposure to the topic. The AD door latch system can malfunction and caused the handle to go into the lock position when closing. Somewhere in the manual this problem is mentioned. I would suggest leaving the no-draft window unlocked.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,281
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,281
By Slim Jim, I obviously was referring to a tow truck driver's skinny assistant who can reach the inside door handle through the battery hole in the floor. (Well, I should at least get partial credit for creativity, in spite of flat out lying.) smile
BTW, great tip Kent!
Carl


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 393
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 393
I took the locking strip out then cut the rubber. There is no vent window in a '47. I gotcha, Carl. Yes, points for creativity!


It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to paint it.
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 362
E
'Bolter
'Bolter
E Offline
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 362
Mine has locked me out a couple of times. In reply to truckernix's comment about the manual, I think they just say to keep things lubricated there. I've oiled mine and it seems to be working better right now.

When I've been locked out, it's been because the driver's door handle was down (locked), and the pass door was locked with the key cylinder, and the key cylinder wouldn't unlock for me. What I've done is use a couple of flathead screwdrivers to force the driver's window down just 1/4" or so, and then drop in a U-shaped length of speaker wire to lasso the door handle and pull it up. Have had to do it a few times, once with a hailstorm quickly approaching, and I managed to get inside in less than 2 minutes that time... First few tries took a little more fishing and figuring out. I tried string once, but it hangs down between the door handle and the panel, hence the need for a thin flexible but not too flexible wire to be just rigid enough to reach out to the handle.

I have a locked toolbox secured to the inside of the bed, so I keep a few feet of speaker wire in there, just in case.

Last edited by EchoBravoSierra; 07/15/2016 6:48 PM.
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 393
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 393
I'm not sure when they changed this, but in 1947 the door handle locks the door when the handle is turned towards the back and unlocks the door when it is pushed forward. I also looked at the battery cover and space is very limited in that area although it could be an option. The latches are original as far as I know. I will check things out and try the window method as EchoBravoSierra suggests.


It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to paint it.
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 252
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 252
It is not very helpful in this case but, I do old school and keep a spare hide-a-key hidden under the rear bed.


1951 Chevy 3100 5-Window
"Howard"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 775
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 775
If none of the above work it,s easy to remove the rear window. Just take out the bead and use a nylon pry bar to pop the window out.

Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 362
E
'Bolter
'Bolter
E Offline
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 362
Originally Posted by Rusty Shackleford
I'm not sure when they changed this, but in 1947 the door handle locks the door when the handle is turned towards the back and unlocks the door when it is pushed forward. I also looked at the battery cover and space is very limited in that area although it could be an option. The latches are original as far as I know. I will check things out and try the window method as EchoBravoSierra suggests.

Sounds like my handles are clocked 90 degrees off from that- unlocked points toward the front of the truck, locked is angled downward from there, and pull up to open them. It's quite possible someone clocked my handles differently at some point in my truck's life- It's the only AD I've had experience with, so I don't have any other point of reference.


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0