The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (R&S 51 GMC, Tiny), 152 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,125
Posts1,056,338
Members48,440
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1113931 07/16/2015 1:48 AM
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 170
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 170
Does anyone have a picture of the cloth molding (similar to the one on the cowl) that goes at the front of the hood? I don't know the correct name for the small filler panel that attaches to the fenders, but these go on it under the hood. Thanks, Scott

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Scott, IF I understand you correctly I honestly don't know. However, on my 37 I used the same stuff that went across the cowl on the front edge of the radiator surround that the front of the hood fits against. I just don't remember if I just used it or that was what was originally used?. I may be totally wrong.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,554
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,554
I think you are talking about the fender extensions. I used the same material that I used on the rear of the hood. Dave


1941 Chevy
"First rebuild - complete!"
Follow the story in the DITY
1941 GMC resting peacefully
1946/1947 Chevy Street rod on s10 frame complete
1945 GMC panel truck in line for restoration
1941 Plymouth stock complete
1941 GMC COE in restoration process
Read his Project Journal
1941 Chevy Coe uncertain future resting now
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,707
W
back yard wrench turner
back yard wrench turner
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,707
Hood lacing is what it's called. I had my wife sew some for me. She used a small diameter rope and something like duck cloth.
I don't know if anyone makes it.
I can take a photo tomorrow in the daylight if you want.


Wayne
1938 1-Ton Farm Truck
Stovebolt Gallery Forums
1989 Silverado
1996 Mustang GT convertible
When I die, I hope she doesn't sell everything for what I told her I paid for it!

Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 170
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 170
I know it belongs there, there were small pieces of it held on with small clutch head screws. I just don't know what they did on the ends, how long etc. There are slots at the top and bottom but I don't know if they are used in any way. A picture of it installed or still in tact would be very helpful. Thanks Scott

Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
I think this is the stuff. Also, I believe the lacing tucks in the slot and is held in place with a screw on the engine side. Been a while since I've seen a truck with this stuff, looks correct and has a vintage look over the rubber stuff.


http://stores.restorationspecialties.com/flat-hood-lace/

Last edited by JiMerit Boltr#43; 07/16/2015 3:29 PM.

It's easier to get forgiveness than permission!
1946 1/2-Ton Chevy
1953 Chevy 3/4-ton Factory Stakebed
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,707
W
back yard wrench turner
back yard wrench turner
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,707
I reread your request. Mine doesn't have the front hood lacing.

This rear lacing is mine installed but not to VCCA standards.

click

Last edited by Wayne67vert; 07/17/2015 10:53 AM.

Wayne
1938 1-Ton Farm Truck
Stovebolt Gallery Forums
1989 Silverado
1996 Mustang GT convertible
When I die, I hope she doesn't sell everything for what I told her I paid for it!

Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 182
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 182
I don't have any closeup pictures, but can describe it:

The lacing was fabric and had three ribs, unlike the widely available reproductions which have two ribs.
Unlike the lacing on the cowl, there was no wire running down the middle.
The sections were held in place with two hex/clutch head screws with no washers or other devices to clamp the lacing down.
The lacing was long enough to poke through the two slots at the top and the bottom and maybe 1/4" to 3/8" went through to the other side.

Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
If you click on pics of my 46 one shows the lacing at the front of hood.


It's easier to get forgiveness than permission!
1946 1/2-Ton Chevy
1953 Chevy 3/4-ton Factory Stakebed
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 170
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 170
Thanks guys, I had just enough left from the cowl. Looks great! Thanks, Scott


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0