The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (1955 1 Series, Otto Skorzeny), 127 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,094
Posts1,056,465
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 7
F
New Guy
New Guy
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 7
Found this 1940 3/4-ton with a 216 from a '53 truck in it. Floor patched up, rear fenders rotted out, no grill. Engine is seized up- dipstick wouldn't even come out!

Front fenders are solid, but the hood is creased a little, but useable. Running boards are solid, but dented up.

Trans shift lever has a little trigger on it like the tranny is dual-range, never seen that before...

What do you guys think?

Last edited by Peggy M; 11/28/2023 12:20 AM. Reason: broken links
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Welcome to Stovebolt.

The truck is worth what someone will pay for it. From the description, I'd give no more than $700 if it has a good title in the sellers name. Less if not.

The little lever is for reverse lockout.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 212
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 212
The little 'Trigger' on the Gear Shift, is a Reverse Lock Out, so you do not accidently elect 'Reverse' when shifting Gears.

It is a four speed non-Synchromesh Transmission, and low is 'Compound Low'.

That is a very good Transmission, my 1946 one ton had the same Trans, and I really liked it.

If memory serve, Reverse is to the left, and back, and you have to pull in the little Trigger' thing.

Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 7
F
New Guy
New Guy
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 7
Thanks for your responses. I fixed the links. Anybody want to shoot me a ballpark estimate?

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
I just sold a '45 GMC in a little better shape for $500 with no title.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 184
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 184
you gotta love those horns.


1952 Chevy Pickup Truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,286
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,286
I'm just glad that I don't live anywhere near this truck, as I would have already bought it. But then, I have a SERIOUS problem. I see a sweet driver when looking at the pictures.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 396
1
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
1 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 396
What does it weigh? What is the price of scrap in your are? How much will it cost you to transport it to where ever its destination? Not one penny more, I see No redeemable value in your pictures. Just my opinion,.
Jerry



Jerry
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
....at the right price it would be a nice restorable truck. I've seen much worse like most of us here. The less you can buy it for means money that can be spent on it. I'm with cletis on this one but in my country I've seen similar ones go for up to 1200.
Best advice is "drive slow". Start low.....


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
From what I see in your photos, someone with serious money and/or skills could rescue it and make a cool ride. However, that being said, Cletis' estimate of $500 is close to the mark. Maybe a tad high but close.


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
$500 is wishful thinking as a purchase price.

$2500 is wishful thinking as a selling price.

What is the asking price?


1953 Chevrolet 3600
Fried Green T'mater (Vern)
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Caution: Political Statement
Man who runs in front of car gets tired, man who runs behind car gets exhausted.
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 7
F
New Guy
New Guy
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 7
He's asking $1500.

He thinks it is a 1938 1/2 ton, but I know it is a 1940 3/4 ton. He also keeps reminding me how rare they are.

Lots of rat-rodders around- I'm sure it is a better candidate for that than restoration.

Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,611
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,611
It is relatively complete with many good parts. I don't know your market, but if the cab is not rusted out around the rear belt line it would be worth fixing.


1941 Chevy 1 1/2-ton WW2 4x4 dump truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Lots more pictures
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
Originally Posted by Fuzzy41
He's asking $1500.

He thinks it is a 1938 1/2 ton, but I know it is a 1940 3/4 ton. He also keeps reminding me how rare they are.

Lots of rat-rodders around- I'm sure it is a better candidate for that than restoration.

That would be a fair price with a title. Since he don't know what year it is I would guess he don't have a title though.


1953 Chevrolet 3600
Fried Green T'mater (Vern)
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Caution: Political Statement
Man who runs in front of car gets tired, man who runs behind car gets exhausted.
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 7
F
New Guy
New Guy
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 7
No title. No grill. No rear fenders (apparently nobody makes steel repops?) interior cab above dash is hacked up...

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
All the stuff missing is just more money you have to spend. Not sure about NE. but around here "no title" means no sale unless you want a parts truck! It always cost more than you think to fix what other people mess up. If he don't like your offer then keep walking. It may be the best walk you ever take.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 7
F
New Guy
New Guy
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 7
He sold it today. And whoever bought it turned around and put it right back up for sale for $2200!

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
obviously the buyer thought he got a good deal grin

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,611
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,611
It make come back at a lower price.


1941 Chevy 1 1/2-ton WW2 4x4 dump truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Lots more pictures
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 581
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 581
Some interesting replies here.


1941 G506
More

1946 3800
Pic
More

1946 3600
Pic
More

1924 Ford Model T Fordor

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0