Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,096 Posts1,056,477 Members48,444 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Feb 2012 Posts: 7 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Feb 2012 Posts: 7 | Found this 1940 3/4-ton with a 216 from a '53 truck in it. Floor patched up, rear fenders rotted out, no grill. Engine is seized up- dipstick wouldn't even come out!
Front fenders are solid, but the hood is creased a little, but useable. Running boards are solid, but dented up.
Trans shift lever has a little trigger on it like the tranny is dual-range, never seen that before...
What do you guys think?
Last edited by Peggy M; 11/28/2023 12:20 AM. Reason: broken links
| | | | | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 | Welcome to Stovebolt.
The truck is worth what someone will pay for it. From the description, I'd give no more than $700 if it has a good title in the sellers name. Less if not.
The little lever is for reverse lockout. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2011 Posts: 212 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2011 Posts: 212 | The little 'Trigger' on the Gear Shift, is a Reverse Lock Out, so you do not accidently elect 'Reverse' when shifting Gears.
It is a four speed non-Synchromesh Transmission, and low is 'Compound Low'.
That is a very good Transmission, my 1946 one ton had the same Trans, and I really liked it.
If memory serve, Reverse is to the left, and back, and you have to pull in the little Trigger' thing.
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2012 Posts: 7 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Feb 2012 Posts: 7 | Thanks for your responses. I fixed the links. Anybody want to shoot me a ballpark estimate? | | | | | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 | I just sold a '45 GMC in a little better shape for $500 with no title. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 184 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 184 | you gotta love those horns. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,286 Renaissance Man | | Renaissance Man Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,286 | I'm just glad that I don't live anywhere near this truck, as I would have already bought it. But then, I have a SERIOUS problem. I see a sweet driver when looking at the pictures.
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 396 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 396 | What does it weigh? What is the price of scrap in your are? How much will it cost you to transport it to where ever its destination? Not one penny more, I see No redeemable value in your pictures. Just my opinion,. Jerry Jerry
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall | | Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 | ....at the right price it would be a nice restorable truck. I've seen much worse like most of us here. The less you can buy it for means money that can be spent on it. I'm with cletis on this one but in my country I've seen similar ones go for up to 1200. Best advice is "drive slow". Start low..... | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 7,441 Bolter | | Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 7,441 | From what I see in your photos, someone with serious money and/or skills could rescue it and make a cool ride. However, that being said, Cletis' estimate of $500 is close to the mark. Maybe a tad high but close.
Martin '62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress) '47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project) ‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily) ‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence) “I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one! Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop! USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 2,201 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 2,201 | $500 is wishful thinking as a purchase price.
$2500 is wishful thinking as a selling price.
What is the asking price? | | | | | Joined: Feb 2012 Posts: 7 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Feb 2012 Posts: 7 | He's asking $1500.
He thinks it is a 1938 1/2 ton, but I know it is a 1940 3/4 ton. He also keeps reminding me how rare they are.
Lots of rat-rodders around- I'm sure it is a better candidate for that than restoration. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2011 Posts: 1,611 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2011 Posts: 1,611 | It is relatively complete with many good parts. I don't know your market, but if the cab is not rusted out around the rear belt line it would be worth fixing. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 2,201 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 2,201 | He's asking $1500.
He thinks it is a 1938 1/2 ton, but I know it is a 1940 3/4 ton. He also keeps reminding me how rare they are.
Lots of rat-rodders around- I'm sure it is a better candidate for that than restoration. That would be a fair price with a title. Since he don't know what year it is I would guess he don't have a title though. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2012 Posts: 7 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Feb 2012 Posts: 7 | No title. No grill. No rear fenders (apparently nobody makes steel repops?) interior cab above dash is hacked up... | | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall | | Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 | All the stuff missing is just more money you have to spend. Not sure about NE. but around here "no title" means no sale unless you want a parts truck! It always cost more than you think to fix what other people mess up. If he don't like your offer then keep walking. It may be the best walk you ever take. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2012 Posts: 7 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Feb 2012 Posts: 7 | He sold it today. And whoever bought it turned around and put it right back up for sale for $2200! | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | obviously the buyer thought he got a good deal  Bill | | | | | Joined: Nov 2011 Posts: 1,611 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2011 Posts: 1,611 | It make come back at a lower price. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 581 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 581 | Some interesting replies here. | | |
| |