A long time ago an old timer that used to run the Red Ball Express back in WWII said they used to pour alittle bit of ATF down the carb (or intake of a diesel) of a running engine to clean the topend out every now and then. His info was generally good but would come after some adult beverage had loosened his tongue up

He had many stores

I never tried the ATF but I have tried the water/steam method with similar results as stated in this thread.
I used to pour a cap full of MMM into all my tractors and L&G equipment at fillup that were designed and built back before no-lead gas became the law of the land. after mucho reading on the WWW I stopped and haven't suffered any topend related failures since.
I've heard alot of folks sware by Sea Foam for cleaning out an engine but I haven't tried it yet.
Dave