Finally after much effort, I got the transmission installed and operational. The junk yard drive shaft yoke that I picked up had evidently been sitting out in the weather for a while and was rusted about halfway in. No matter how hard I tried I couldn't get it all the way on the tail shaft. Well after about 1-2 hours with a file and hacksaw blade I managed to clean up the inside enough that it would go on the tail shaft. Still took some persuading but I go it on.

The U-joints were just as frustrating. Whoever suggested to put the caps in the freezer is a genius. After about 15 minutes in the freezer I could literally push them in by hand. No more pounding with the ball peen hammer. I'm definitely going to remember that trick.

I took it out for a test drive and it works great. I got up to about 70mph (according to the GPS) at around 2600rpm. Before the overdrive I was at 3000rpm at 55mph. The governor works properly. It won't shift into overdrive in 1st gear. When you shift into 2nd it goes into 2nd "under." Rev it up to speed let off on the gas and it jumps into 2nd over. The only issue I have found is that when you shift from 2nd into 3rd gear it goes straight into 3rd over. I don't get 3rd under unless I use the kickdown switch to drop it down. I thought it was supposed to drop down automatically when you shift up to another gear.

Dave/Charlie;

Is this tracking with your experience? How do you drive yours??

I figured out the kickdown switch operation. It will take a little getting used to. I just push the button on the dash (I couldn't figure out how to carb mount the kickdown switch) and let up on the gas. It hesitates for a second and then starts do drive in the lower gear. I just need some practice so I don't try to ram it into gear.

The only remaining issue, aside from reinstalling the trans cover and rubber mat, is to figure out the linkage. My home-grown fix isn't working on the 1st/Reverse side. It goes into reverse with no issues but won't drop into 1st. I think I either need to figure out how to lengthen the shift rod or see if there is anymore adjusment left on the column. I'm afraid I'll get it to go into 1st but then lose reverse. I'll keep you posted once I figure it out.

Overall I'm very happy with the results. The issues with the fuel tank and u-joints made it a lot harder than I anticipated, but I feel like I've made a significant accomplishment. I'll post again once I drive it a little bit and figure out the shifting procedures.


Thanks

Larry